1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Left 4 Dead 2 Interview: A Chat with Chet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jul 2009.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

You will need to activate over Steam anyway, so won't make a difference.

Splitting the community apart between L4D1 and 2 will be a problem indee,d but lets face it, there is no way they would have answered question about it.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Ok.. L4D2 and the way they talk about it makes it seem more and more like it's what they should have released with L4D1.. Meh.

I'll wait for the demo, I hope they release it publically from the get-go though. And here's hoping they actually live up to their word for once since L4D1 released and get more content out before November.

And I swear to god those Alienware ads are annoying as f*ck. They keep bloody opening! I had 7 dell alienware tabs by the end of the interview and I didn't even click outside the article column wtf?

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I was thinking earlier today about how it would make sense for Valve to support two L4D games at once. What if they decided to release a campaign from L4D2 once every 3 months for free, and continue to make a new L4D game every year? This way they uphold their promises of service, and maintain the income required for the extra staff they hired to pump out this much content. The console/casual gamer is happy because they get their Christmas blockbuster and campaigns ahead of everyone else, and the hardcore is happy because they get their content at what would be a higher rate than TF2 ever did, with the benefit of the maps being vetted for a few months so the unbalances are already ironed out.
    This way the L4D brand would reach a colossal point of saturation. Imagine how attractive L4D4 would be, with 16 campaigns in vs, coop, survival, whatever else they add and selected community content, with a promise of an additional 4 in a years time. The tripe that Activision etc put out would just look like a rip off even to the most average of consumers.
    While all this is obviously speculation on my part, I really hope the reality is something close to this.

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

They said campaigns from L4D1 will work in L4D2. Porting them from 2 to 1 would effectively kill the point of getting L4D2.

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Not for 360 owners and not for those that don't want a staggered release. I still think it'd sell pretty well.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Buying this expansion-esque game through Steam will probably cost 49,99€, ordering a retail copy will probably cost 35€.
    Arent you aware of the Steam € prices screw-up?
    The problem I have with Steam is not because of the DRM, its the way it has turned into a rip-off store.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2009
  7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

My bad there, forgot you are from Portugal, yep the euro prices are indeed horrible.

8. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

Chet did not rule out that Left4Dead 3 could be announced right after L4D2. Great going Valve and more power to the petition

9. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I cant help but think that the console considerations are the root cause of the hubub about L4D2.

As long as they intergrate L4D into the PC version as if it were an expantion pack with a reasonable price then I'll be happy. :)

10. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I'm with you on that one! Great value for money!

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

hmm me thinks I will be picking this up when it hit stores :) but Im going to miss not playing Zoey :(

I want to see a character creation option.

12. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Good interview.

This game is going to rock. And also.. you can truly buy with confidence if you have already bought L4D1... as you will know the quality will be there. Call it an expansion, or a sequel.. I dont care.. it will be a great game, and Im gonna buy it.

L4D1 was one of the best games released in recent times, and Ive put in countless hours making the cost per hour of play run down into the pennies now, so initial cost is really insignificant in real terms.

As more people buy it, you will want to get it too to try the new levels, fight the new special infected, and play the new characters. L4D1 will get left behind, but you know.. people will still play it for a change of scenery every now and again.

I wont be buying it from Steam though. I got my L4D1 copy for £20 last time from Amazon as a pre order, and when it hit steam it was £35 which is a joke of epic proportions. My mate got a copy from PC World for £29... who would have thought that PC World would have been cheaper than Steam.

Currently L4D2 is at £26.99 on Amazon or Play as a pre-order price.

I refuse to buy any digital download that is the same price (or dearer) than retail. Its just not worth it.

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Looks like a good game, can't wait to buy it, but first I gotta buy L4D1 so I can play online properly and not through garena =\
    I never did understand this boycott I mean SE just announced FFXIV Online for the PS3 and PC in 2010 + no more updates for FFXI in 2010 and I don't see any FF boycott. Going by L4D1 prices though it's gonna be a rip off, I still see it £30 in some shops, for the amount of content you get it's not worth £30 but for online value I guess it is.

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Never mind L4D, lets have an interview with Matt Boone about his one-man mission to get a Day of Defeat source update out!

15. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to wait until the L4D1 expansion, er uh, I mean the brand new L4D2 standalone game, is priced down at $20 before I buy it. I bought the original for full price and look what I got: a game that requires me to buy the "2" game to get the content I already paid for.

It really reminds me of Back to the Future II, which was almost literally just a very long advertisement for Back to the Future III.

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

This is an official warning. Take that back. Back to the Future II was ****ing awesome.

Tags: Add Tags