1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Left For Dead 2 "team play" and age-limit control?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bbshammo, 20 Jan 2013.

1. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

Just dropped back into L4D after a long break and realised within minutes why I shelved this in the first place.

It's swarming with too many kids, and I really mean children... Not just child-like behaviour.

Valve should really use some of their development magic to better manage access by children, and discourage bad, unsporting behaviour.

imo, this game really comes into its own when played by people with a reasonably mature attitude; sportsmanship, teamwork, working with and for others etc...

However, this isn't so common, and almost non-existent amongst children.

Basically, it's a unique game that depends a lot on real teamwork so should have mechanisms in place to ensure that happens.

Age control is one of those elements, I believe,

Another important element could be profiling gamers on team-play-related stats.

For example; the number of attempts to pick up a fallen team mate, the amount of time spent out of sight of your team, amount of covering/support kills etc...

Metrics could be employed to define a player's "Team Player" rating, allowing those that are a little closer to our evolutionary predecessors, such as chimps, to find others of their ilk and have a joyous time fu**ing each other over instead of wasting normal people's time.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hence why I always friend anyone on L4D2 who plays tactically.. Eventually you can pick up a good group who play properly and then you don't have to go straight into public games with silly little peoples arsing about..

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Ah yes, *cough* I attended one of your games...I haven't been invited back :blush:

Friends-only games are the only way to go, though. I'd never expose myself to the main L4D community ingame, they're just awful. It's par for the course with most online games now, anyway: if it doesn't let me find good people and restrict my gametime to their company, I generally don't play a game. The CoD and BF franchises wore me down for this reason.

bbshammo, I used to think it was age too, but I've met so many kids (in online games, inb4 FBI tracking) who're sensible and polite and intelligent and so many 20- or 30-something manchildren who are socially retarded and hopelessly rude and uncooperative, that I no longer believe in it. I wanted to blame the internet's problems on age, but it's just not that simple.

4. Snakko

Snakko exterminate

Avoid playing with random people, and play only with friends from your friendlist :D

5. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I rarely play with randoms now because it can be so difficult. I usually find there's one person that's new, one that's played before, and one that thinks they know it all. I'll try to stick by the newbie, help them as much as I can, but know it all will usually run off ahead, get incap'ed and then swear at everyone for not helping them! Or you get the odd one that thinks it's funny to deliberately shoot at you. They generally don't last long in the game, I make sure of that!