1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Legacy of Khufu .Done on page:10.Speakers Done page:11!. 17-07-08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TapperSwe, 11 Feb 2007.

?

which picture to use for backside fanguard

Poll closed 17 Mar 2007.
  1. pic one: scarab

100.0%
  2. pic two: Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. pic three: crocodile/king Sobek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

Here is the final update if dont want to read the entire project log: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=129157&page=10

Hi, this is my first case built but i Hope it will turn out fine but i guess u will have to be the judges of that.

I have however done 2 projects in alu before both of them was made for sofairgun ,first one is a aluhelmet and the second one is a electric operated gunholster (of corse in aluminium to) a la robocop style :) this 2 projekt took me abaout 350 houers.
    Helmet:
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/Tapperswe/6hjlmlampsida.jpg
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/Tapperswe/5hjlmframnrmre.jpg

Holster:
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/Tapperswe/9hlstbenmerppen.jpg

I dont have a worklog for any of this 2 projects

Well lets move on and see what im working on now.
    I have been working on this scratch build since September 06 (abaout 200 houers)but i knew that this was going to be a difficult and timeconsuming built so i wanted to bee at least 50% done before uploading the project (i first doubtet that i was able to complete it at all).

Why a pyramid?:
    Well i decided to build a pyramid for more than one reason, the pyramids got an amazing history, and i saw the shape as really challenging to make as a case and last it looks really nice.

Guidelines in project:
    Not only to built a nice case in the shape of a pyramid but allso to make it functional (user frienly),the basic idea was that it must fit a regular mobo,psu,dvd,hdd and displaycard, however i had to buy a new psu because a regular wouldn't fit, (wantet to keep case small) so i ended up getting me a server psu. more of that later.
    Im also going to keep the case exterior as clean as possible so anything dont interrupt the pyramid shape

Case facts:
    Base 44x44 cm, hight 44,5 ( keep in mind that it fast narrows down to only 0,5x0,5 cm in top, making the space inside mutch smaller than in a square shaped case ).
    The case will not be painted but gritted down to 1200 (wet sanding),and then i will polish it.
    Fans: (2 in front one on top) will have filter on them witch will be easy to clean.
    Easy access to mobo inside.
    The inside will have details from pyramids so i will put meny work houers on the inside aswell.

Hardware:
    Msi K8N Neo4 Platinum (7125) VER:1
    Amd 64 3700+ 1Mb L2Cache. (2,2 Ghz)
    Arctic-cooling Freezer 64 Pro (not sure it will fit because of its hight)
    DiamondMAX 10 250Gb Sata2
    2 Gb OCZ 3200 Platinum EL Dualchanel 2-3-2-5-1T
    Asus n7800 gt.
    nec 3550a dvd rw
    Onboard sound
    psu 1U Single¡jP1H-6400P
    Im basicly moving the components from the cp i have now into this one (not the psu)

Before i start posting here is some info abaout Khufu the builder of the Great pyramid at Giza:

Khufu was the second king of Dynasty 4 of the Old Kingdom. We know very little about him, in spite of the fact that he built the most famous tomb in the ancient world, "The Great Pyramid at Giza", one of the seven wonders of the world.

Links with info abaout Khufu:
    http://guardians.net/hawass/khufu.htm

Link with basic fact abaout the Great pyramid:
    http://whgbetc.com/mind/pyramids.html

virtual tour of the Great pyramid (1st requiers quicktime)
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/explore/khufuenter.html
    http://www.egyptvoyager.com/pyramids_giza_virtual.htm

Enough allready lets get this thing started.

Ok this is what i started with a 2x1 m 1.5mm aluminium sheet:
    [​IMG]

I started of by doing a model scale 1:2 of the case ,i allso did all the hardware in paper(HDD,DVD,PSU and so on) in same scale to see if/how it would fit.
    [​IMG]

And one in sketchup.
    [​IMG]

Here im starting to cut all the main peaces out Base ,front, back and sides, as u can see im doing all my work on the balcony ,i later on had to move in to the kitchen when winter arived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here im working on the bending of the back and front ,they will later be conected to base with screws.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I allso bended in each side of back and front and sides ,however i later had to unbend the 2 sides because in my model u could put them all togheter to make a nice pyramid but in aluminium it dident work the 1,5 mm thicknes got to big.
    [​IMG]

Here is the base ,and im bending in the sides to make it stronger.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here im making 4mm holes in base of the front did same thing on the back.
    [​IMG]

And this is how it looks conected to base, note that i have allso cut out the back plate holes ,pictures of that dissapeared :( ,I'm hopefully not gonna need to use the backplate if my measurements are correct :)
    [​IMG]

Both sides will be able to open ,so I'm putting 2 hinges on each door /side.
    This is where the door/sides are going to be atached with screws, i have drilled 4 holes in the base.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moboplate will be attached to base and rise up about 45 degres up making all the usb display and sound exits to come out in the right angle
    Here is some pics from the moboplate work.U can also see some of the 9 holes that i have drilled out for the distances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This screws will be atached to the front of case holding moboplate and front togheter(u can also see the distances backside that i have put in the moboplate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here im working the base where the mobo is going to slide in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mobo ready to be inserted (mobo on picture is a stuntman and will never be conectet in a computer again )the peace of paper on picture represents my displaycard.

[​IMG]

And here u can se the complete mobo mounted in case.

[​IMG]

I got a problem ,it seems that i cant post more then abaout 20 pics in IMG CODE bit-teck says i got to meny pictures in post ,so what do i do now?.URL?. Im using Photobucket.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2008
  2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Active Member

try using img tags not html

3. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

Isent img code and img tags the same thing ? what do i do go thumbnail ? i got meny more pics to upload but bit-tek says i got to meny pictures when i try to post.

4. jegerjon

jegerjon New Member

just put the next pictures in a repley like this.
    btw. i want to se more ;)

5. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

There's a limit of ~25 pictures per post so you might have to make more than one post to get everything in.

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Active Member

Looks good :) excellent method of mounting the mobo in the case :)

7. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

Ok thanks for the help guys :)
    Here comes some more

To hold the front and back togeter i made a small "bridge" u might understand better from pictures .

Model in paper:
    [​IMG]

testing to see if i mesured right :) (by the way the bluefabric u see on the sides will be replaced with rubber later (its going to pick up vibrations in doors)Lost pictures of when i did that to.
    [​IMG]

on alu:
    [​IMG]

I dremeld i down to about 70% on smaller things then i thast remove them with that tool u see by bending up and down,The reason i do that is to save a whole bunch of cut wheels they really don't wear down until u cut throu the aluminium.
    [​IMG]

some bending picks (this one was really hard to get right).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I secured it with porivets, by the way the poprivet was invented 1916 by George Tucker Eyelet Co. Ltd (from Uk) and was used in the spitfires in second world war (found that out when searching for the english word for poprivet.) :)
    [​IMG]

And here it is holding the both sides togeter by screws and poprivets:
    [​IMG]

Ok i will post in the neares days to come hope u enjoyed so far..questions are wellcome i will reply asap.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2007
  8. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

Thx ,yes i think to, i dident like the idea of having all cables runing in to the case .
    By the way i saw your projekt log its looking great ,i see that u are a metalbender to :) I will keep folowing it.

9. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

Because it was a plan change and i had to unbend the doors/sidepanels i had to figure out a way to cover the small gap between doors and front and back of the case ,after some thinking i came up with the idea of putting Lshaped aluminium along with the sides of the doors.

I also had one more guideline in this project and that was that i would make everything myself witch means no prebended Lshaped alu ,no pre done moderboard plate and no precuted peaces ,so far i haven't use any off it Anyway here comes the update.

Starting to make the LShaped alu:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alustripes ready to be bended:
    [​IMG]

Abaout 5 houers later i had 4 Lshaped alu ,maybe it sounds like long time but i did all the filling by hand :
    [​IMG]

Here im drilling holes in the dors and in the Lshaped alu:
    [​IMG]

Don't mind all the screws u see they are temporary to hold everything in place,the whole case stills only attached with temporary screws because all the parts is later on going to be gritted down to 1200 paper:

After i had the alu in place i had to get the right angle on all four of them ,i can tell u that this wasn't an easy task it me took many hoer's of filling after the cuts with the multitool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here u can see all four Lshaped alu in place:
    [​IMG]

From abowe:
    [​IMG]

That's all for today Hope u enjoyed.
    Next update will be on sunday i hope,and that update is going to be about Installing and silencing the psu.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2007
  10. ARTbyTROY

ARTbyTROY Mod it Til it Bleeds!

I can sympathize with you about how long it takes to properly file down aluminum for a scratch build, I bought a table sander and it makes it alot faster (and straighter) but the pieces still always need a little filing to deburr the edges.

Nice work so far, I can't wait to see how everything fits in it.

11. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts New Member

Nice custom build you got going! Nice looking bends as well!
    The word you were looking for in your first post is "hinge" to make the two side panels open that way. Which struck me as funny cuz today I was trying to think of that exact word in Dutch today and I couldn't think of it... lol

12. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

ARtByTROY

I saw your projectlog Hell's Illusion yesterday, and man i was impressed, one can see that u really spent some serious work and thought on that project, and the fact that i love Hellraiser made it even better.By the way how did u came up with the idea?

I would really love to have a table sander because filing with the multitool doesn't work for me it jumps allover the edges and actually only makes it worser , and i have allready spent to much money on this project so i guess I'm stuck with the manual sanding for now lol,

Thx for the nice comment, and the part about parts to fit, in u will see that its really going to be tight .

Last edited: 15 Feb 2007
  13. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

SlappKnutts

Thx for the nice comments its allways nice to get some feedback on the work.
    And thx for the help with the word i didn't know, it has been added now :)

Next update is on sunday if everything works out, so check back, all comments/questions are wellcome .

14. KlavKalashj

KlavKalashj New Member

Really nice idea, I think it looks much better now than what I thought it was going to look when I saw the first post;) Keep it up man, I think it will turn out great. How is the outside gonna look? Paint? Windows?

15. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

KlavKalashj

Thanks for the encouraging words :) and yes the Lshaped alu on the doors actually give it a bit of depth that i all so think looked better.

I know i might overdid the beginning of log with info but there u can see that it will not be painted but gritted down i will start with about 600 grit then 800 and ill finish it up with 1200 grit (higher numbers are finer paper)
    then when days of gritting is over i will spent some days polishing it(al parts on inside to).
    I have been thinking about window or not, but came to the conclussion that i will not put a window on the case.(but who knows i might change my mind)

Regarding the rest of the outside it will be as clean as possible (therefore i might skipp the window).

Last edited: 15 Feb 2007
  16. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I like what you're doing and how you're doing it. The piece you made to keep everything together at the top must have been very difficult to bend right. Nice job!

17. Rodrigo Vicentini

Rodrigo Vicentini Member

was great work dude, impressed with your ability to bend the metal pieces, congratulations, the helmet and the pistol you did who?

18. guysy1110

guysy1110 New Member

Nice work, like the metal work a lot

19. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

jokkos:

How nice that such a good modder/builder as u drops in to look at my work :) ,i have seen your project and for what i saw that Der_Meister you got going on must have taking some serious planing and workskills ,it looks very good and i will absolutely comment on it when its done(hope u get that pump to work soon).

Regarding the peace on top ,yes it was pretty hard to bend i don't know if u noticed but i bend all my alu in a very simple construction of 2 squareshaped bars and a rubberhammer :) (in my kitchen) .

Last edited: 23 Feb 2008
  20. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

Rodrigo Vicentini

thx for the nice comment ,and yes i have done botch the gunholster and the helmet for softairgun games .

By the way i saw the Tribal's case and u are really amazing with the dremmel ,i would really love to have your dremmelskills when im going to do my fan guards :)

Last edited: 15 Mar 2007