1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Legacy of Khufu .Done on page:10.Speakers Done page:11!. 17-07-08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TapperSwe, 11 Feb 2007.

?

which picture to use for backside fanguard

Poll closed 17 Mar 2007.
  1. pic one: scarab

100.0%
  2. pic two: Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. pic three: crocodile/king Sobek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Like i said in the beginning of this project as soon as i had done the model i realiced that a regular psu wouldn't fit because of the case size but abowe all the pyramid shape .So i had to get myself a server psu and after some serious digging i got this one : http://www.zippy.com/P_product_deta...name=1U Single&pcpw_rfnbr=3&pp_code=P1H-6400P

i chose zippy because they are known for making very high quality psu,s they also make a hole in your wallet 150 pounds,well well lets start with the installation of the psu.

As soon as it arrived i had to test it because i heard that server psus with their small fans often makes an irritating sound:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this psu was no exception ,so i started thinking out a way to silent the fans i finally came up with the idea to put 2 sound absorbing walls with a 4 cm gap betwen for the air to run throu its basicly the same thing you can do to a computer http://www.ixajt.com/sarkofagen/sida.jpg , this is a sketchup of it so u might understand better ,(I'm a very poor at sketchup i have only used it 3 times so its ok to laugh ) :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The psu silenter contains 3 main peaces and this paper model contains all of them, base ,back and front (i used the front and back piece out of same model with a small change do:
    [​IMG]

Base cuted and bended:
    [​IMG]

I took out a rubber math from a hdd silenter box and cuted out peaces witch i later putted on the sound absorbing walls ,u can also see that i have done 2 alu square bars to hold the psu:
    [​IMG]

Here the is psu mounted on base and space for cord has been done:
    [​IMG]

Here i im working with the 2 aluboxes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is wat came out one box for outblowing air.
    [​IMG]

And one box for incoming air:
    [​IMG]

Here is some pictures of al 3 parts and how they suposed to be mounted (upside down) ,u can also see the sound absorbing rubber inside the boxes :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one pic of the gap betwen base wall and box wall:
    [​IMG]

Now its time to install the parts in the case i started out by cuting out a hole fore the outcoming air from psu:
    [​IMG]

Then i instaled the base ,(the power cord will exit in the hole for outcoming air):
    [​IMG]

Here is the front and u can see how its mounted over the opening:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the back part ,u can see that its realy close to the door and back of case:
    [​IMG]

One pic of all parts in case before psu instalation:
    [​IMG]

And here is the final result ,i also put rubber where the cords comes out:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How well this sount silenting works remains to be seen until i fire this thing up . but i heard that people who has built computers this way got them really quite. (I think im the first one to do it on a psu do )
    Well that's it for today comments are of corse wellcome ,next update will be
    on next sunday.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2007
  2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

looking good, Tap..
    what's next?

3. TapperSwe

modsquad

Thx, Att the moment im working with the hdd holder ,and stealthing the dvd.

4. favelado

favelado What's a Dremel?

The PSU cover looks very interesting!
    But wouldn't it have been better if you just exchange the small noisy fan with a bigger one? In my opinion this would be the easier and probably more silent way ...
    But however, the idea of the sound absorber is pretty cool and well realised!

5. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

hmm I missed this reply.

What can I say? Thanks, I've got the pump working.
    And any modder that does part of the work in the kitchen is a good modder...heh. Join the club :rock:

oh yeah, the psu cover seems like a good idea, I hope it works well.

6. TapperSwe

Favelado:
    Thx, i do know that this construction will silent down the psu ,the question is more how mutch ,I will try it when case is done both with cover on and of and see how mutch the difference is and report here . Regarding changing the fan to a biger one, im not sure what u mean the psu is only 4 cm in hight so thats not an option if u ask me (or u might got a nother idea? ).

Jokkos:
    Yeah building cases in the kitchen is really hardcore lol. I do also work on my balcony when cuting biger parts of alu because of all the dust.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

psst you can get .jpg:s out of sketchup from File - Export - 2d graphic :)

Nice work with the sheet metal.

8. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Great work man, really nice idea! :thumb:

9. TapperSwe

Jipa:
    Thx for the coment and tip :) i will use jpg for my next sketcup pics.

Evenge:
    thx allways nice with some encouraging words.

10. TapperSwe

I completed my work one day earlier so here is the update.

This week i have been working with the hdd holder and like i told in the beginning of this worklog i will put pyramid details inside the case.
    I began with thinking what i could do with the hdd and i realized that i could make it in sarcophagus style. Here is some info on sarcophagus if u interested:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/humanworld/egyptian/sarcophagus.asp

And here is the worlds moust known sarcophagus:
    http://www.compulink.co.uk/~archaeology/civilisation/egypt/tutankhamun/tutankhamun.htm

I also wanted to pick up the vibrations from the hdd and after some thinking i came up with a pretty cool idea, proceed and u will see what i mean.

Ok here is where the hdd is giong to be placed:
    [​IMG]

I also like most of people want to cool my hdd ,so I'm adding a fan in the middle:
    [​IMG]

View on my "workshop" from livingroom,damn winter,he,he:
    [​IMG]

Hole cuted and filed/sanded:
    [​IMG]

Bended,u can also see that i have drilled holes for the fan:
    [​IMG]

If u open a cd/dvd player u will see that the whole reading mechanism and dvd/cd holder is resting on top of this rubberthings ,
    the reason for that is that they pick up the vibrations from the laser reader which goes back and forth in high speed and from the spining dvd/cd (like a shock-absorber/damper on a car). So i figured if they work like shock-absorbers here they must work on a vibrating hdd to.:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started up by puting them in the holes where the hdd is going to be monted,i will also put them on the base, u will see later on:

[​IMG]

If u look on this pic u can see that the hdd has no contact with the hdd holder ,same thing for the screws that holds the hdd, it runs thro the rubber not touching the holder either.:
    [​IMG]

Lets put the sarcophagus on the visible side of the hdd holder i started up with a template made by me ,u will see that i dident use the entire pic because the screws/rubbers holding the hdd would get in the face of the sarcophagus.
    [​IMG]

Pic on sheet, i draught everything beside the lines outside the body on free hand:
    [​IMG]

I cuted all big areas with the multitool i also used drills and alot of filing do the beard and small area underneath the head:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also wetsanded it because al parts of this case is going to be grited down to 1200 and polished but on engravings u cant do it afterward because that will remove the engraving ,i will however give it a bit more wetsanding before the polishing (not gona polish now) This also gives it a bit of an old look.(seen best on the beard at the moment).I took no pics of the engraving.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Mar 2008
  11. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

hey that looks really good how did i miss this mod!?!
    looks like you got everything planned out alright
    i love the use of those cd drive parts!
    goood luck

12. TapperSwe

Lets move over to the feets ,i drilled holes and putet the ruber in same way as with the hdd:

[​IMG]

On this pics u see that it actually works ,the feets can move to all directions so if i press the holder back/forward or side to side u see that the feets moves along with the holder :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is installed in the case ,it will later be secured with 4 nuts(one on each feet/leg). On the second pic im pressing the holder upwards on one side and that makes one rubber to get pressed together by the screw and one to stretch out ,so this do really work as i planed :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some final pics of the hdd holder and fan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WEll this sarcophagus/hdd holder took me over 10 hours to complete so i would really love to get some thoughts abaut it :D .
    Next uppdate is planed on saturday 03/03/2007.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2007
  13. TapperSwe

Thx ,I think u could use this rubbers as a a simple way of picking up vibrations even in a regular case instead of rubberbands, u would thast have to drill up the holes a bit (6 mm).

14. Lunn1

Lunn1 What's a Dremel?

you know you can buy those dampeners online so you dont have to tear apart your drives to get the, unless those drives are gonners. Ive got quite a bit of them that came with my case, and yes they made a difference.

15. TapperSwe

Lunn1:
    No, i dident know u could buy them never seen them in sweden anyway (could be wrong),dosent matter because the cdplayers i teared apart was non fuctional.

So that leaves me not being able to take credit for the idea of putting them betwen the HDD and HDD holder, damnit i thought it was a brilliant idea lol,(are they mounted exactly the same way?) Never mind i found them with google just now , it must be those small blue ones with screwes (the ones in dvd/cd players are bigger and should therefore work even better )

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/Nexus-Anti-Vibration-PC-Mounting-Kit-60-components-p-16351.html

But i must be the first to make hddholder feets out of them ( i hope ) .And that gives it the advantage of 2 vibrating absorbing solutions on one and same hddholder he,he.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2007
  16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

It's one of those nice touches that can turn an average mod into a good one or turn a good mod into a great one. :thumb:

17. Gramps

Gramps What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure it's the same density rubber in em, but theese bushes ("bussning" in swedish) @ ClasOhlson.se would be cheaper to buy -> http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=386928

Last edited: 25 Feb 2007
  18. TapperSwe

Tyinsar:
    Thx for the comment ,but I'm even more greatfull that u left the whole dampener debate to rest .

Gramps:
    I'm guessing those rubber rings are much harder than the ones in a CD/DVD player because they are supposed to protect cable's running thro metal sheets.

Lets take this from the beginning ,i knew about this rubber things/dampeners in CD/DVD players because i used a cdplayer for my electric operated gunholster project,so i thought that i had a god idea(still thinks) to put them to use between hdd and holder, and why search for something u already have at home (since i had 3 cd players in my basement?).

In my mind its my idea but unfortunately this solution was allready out on the market (never seen them myself do, only rubbers for fans) so lets plz just leave it at that (it would be really pathetic of me claiming to have come up with this solution if i knew it was allready out there).Im guilty of charge and admit it , in contrast to Clinton "I never had sex with that Monica Levinsky" lol.

Im not saying that u cant criticise me but its no fun when the small things takes over the entire work(this hdd dampners was 30 min out of over 10 hours of work).

The HDD feet is still my solution do,coming out as a kit in Peking 2008 , lol.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2007
  19. TapperSwe

Ok lets see if i can get some help with this:
    My concern is the fan wich is located underneath the HDD atached to the hdd holder ,its only a 5 mm distance between the HDD and fan and if im not wrong there is magnets round the cpfans and i have heard that mangnets an some cphardware dont go good together, so my question is could this be a problem?.

If it is i will have to place do a hole and place the hdd cooling fan in the bottom of the case instead of in the hdd holder, that would give them a distance of abaut 4 cm instead but would require some undesired work.

Replies are highly appreciated :)

Last edited: 25 Feb 2007
  20. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

i don;t think there will be a problem with the fan being so close the hdd there are hddcoolers with fans close to the hdd take a look at this http://www.mycom.nl/Products/View/84161.aspx
    Think that it isn't going to be a problem, hope this might help