1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal help re Piercings

Discussion in 'General' started by Pha3dr0n, 7 Sep 2004.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I work for a huge customer facing company now, they deal with hundreds of multinational companies. Their rules are very lax; as long as I dont look scruffy, I'm ok. I have a lip bar that, apart from the odd look, has not made one difference to my performance, the respect I have from my collegues and most of all from my employers. At the end of the day they realise I'm damn good at what I do and no facial-ware will affect that performance.

Employers need to broaden their horizons and wake up to exactly what penski said. If you dont employ someone for a peice of metal in their face, someone else will and you have potentially lost out on the employee who has more skills that a dozen of the clones you are prepared to employ.

Back to the thread: Unfortunately, if your employer resides in the shallow end you will have to comply... it's the law. :wallbash:

2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i'm going to do that just so i can go to work in a cloak with a LightSaber

3. penski

penski BodMod

Jedi isn't a sodding religeon.

*n

4. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Again, while it was recognised by the census i dont think Jedi is a legally recognised religion.

5. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I've got nothing against jeans and t-shirts. It's practically the uniform of the day here.

This is the problem here as I see it -- and, for the sake of argument, I AM the employer. I am not hiring anyone who is not in tune with my business philosophy. That means, I make the rules in my business, not the employee. My rule is: our ultimate goal is a satisfied customer. Without that, we have nothing. No profit, no work, no job. Every single customer is as important as the last one and the next one.

I need to pay my employees a decent wage (I pay higher than the industry and national average) and provide for their safe and secure work environment. I need to treat them with respect and to treat them all equally (the rules for men and women are the same).

What I don't need is to let my employees control me with their selfishness. Piercings are not essential to life or for work. An employee who puts their pleasure above my business is not the great worker they think they are. They are livin' in a dream world if they think they can tell me how to run my business. We're talking about profits and control. If you think it's anything else, you're wrong.

Grump

6. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift New Member

If you have just gotten them you could state a "medical reason" to leave them in during the healing process, but otherwise, yeah you are gonna have to take them out.

7. penski

penski BodMod

What if one of your employees embarked on a sex change? Would that be selfish?

For thousands of people, piercings ARE essential. You are a very, very ignorant person.

*n

8. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Having a sex change is entirely different to having a piercing mate.

Penski, put away the crack.

I'm all for people being able to do what they want to their bodies but how in the name of God could anyone in their right mind claim a piercing as "essential"?

I can see it now: "yeah, I can't take out my eyebrow stud because my brain'll cave in".

Personally, I think people should be able to have piercings at work. But then again I can also see piercings at work as just an extension of a uniform...

Sam

9. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave New Member

Piercings are a way of getting your body to match your internat image of yourself. In that way, it's pretty similar to a sex change. Most people with body modifications would be extremely unhappy if they wern't there, and wouldn't be able to work nearly as well.

10. Uncle Psychosis

I know at least 5 or 6 people that have to take out their piercings at work. They grumble about it but not one of them has ever mentioned feeling different without them...

Sam

11. penski

penski BodMod

And those 5 or 6 represent the entire pierced population of the planet?

I, personally, do not feel 'right' without my piercings especially my tongue piercing...Not having it in makes me feel uncomfortable and nauseous.

*n

12. dmcm01

dmcm01 Banned

cant you just tape them over? like at McD's or school?

13. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

This is an important matter for me because I work in a small office (5 people) and at the moment dress in a shirt and tie, but there is no "company dress code"...I'm considering approaching my employer and asking her if it would be acceptable to come to work dressed in smart casual clothes, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Also considering getting pierced soon. It's been something I've wanted to do for ages but haven't been able to as yet. I don't really know how to approach my boss about it, I'm sure she wouldn't mind (being a small, laid-back working environment) but I don't really know as yet.

14. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I must say... I agree... even though I've only got Lip done... (and before i had it done.. ie until I grew some balls... I was convinced I'd never get one...) I took it out for a couple of hour for toys r us interview.. and hell that didn't feel right... ended up closing up a bit... got it back in but even with retainer it... just doesn't feel right...

Anyone who wears glasses as a day to day need-them-to-see thing.... Will testify... When you take them off at night or in morning or wear contacts... It feels wierd, even uncomfortable... you may ever go to push them up.. to discover they're not there...

To say that a worker with piercings is "shabby" or less prone to do a good job is utter rubbish, after all if you were doing interviews one person got a degree in the field of the job, but has a piercing... and the other some chav with a handful of GCSEs at C or something... would you take the chav over the pierced one? If you do, you're more stupid than you let on.

15. Uncle Psychosis

No, they don't. Do you?

Sure, people may feel "uncomfortable" without piercings but then I feel uncomfortable in a shirt and tie- but if I tried to use that excuse not to wear them then I'd be out on my ear so fast my feet wouldn't touch the ground!

I agree that people should be able to wear what they want at work- but frankly anyone who claims they would be unable to do their job without having a piercing in has severe problems.

Sam

16. SeT

SeT New Member

For someone with piercings, it can be really uncomfortable to not have them. I've just got a couple earlobe piercings @ 14guage and absolutely hate to have them out. It's body modification and making yourself look the way you feel you should. A decent analogy I heard gave The Matrix as an example: After Neo is out of the machine world and goes into a virtual matix with Morpheus - Neo was there with hair and comfortable clothes. A body modder would see theirself as having the piercings/tattoos and not having them would feel almost as uncomfortable as when Agent Smith took away Neo's mouth. A bit of an extreme but you get the point.

Back to the point of the thread: I don't know of any religion that would require or suggest piercings. You could look into indian or tribal religions but doubtfull that they'd buy into you being part of some tribe. Penski's suggestion is best - talk to the employer and try to reach some middle ground.

17. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

That's not the issue at all. It all has to do with 1st impressions and a "corporate image" or professionalism. Clients, customers and the public expect a certain "norm" to be projected from any corporation or company. In my case, I work at a hospital and eventhough I'm in the IT department, I'm expected to dress a certain way to present an air of competency. If you came to the emergency room, you would expect to see a doctor nicely dressed wearing a white lab coat - right? What would your 1st impression be if that same doctor came to see you all pierced, wearing jeans and maybe a polo shirt? Not your impression after a few minutes, but your initial impression. Well, maybe your impression would be favorable, but most of society would frown on it. Again, I'm not saying that piercings are bad or that wearing jeans at a job is wrong, in fact I would LOVE to be able to come into work wearing jeans and sneakers.

In addition, I would look at company policy before I approached your employeer directly. If the company policy has a certain dress code, stick to it. It's there for a reason. If it doesn't, by all means, discuss it with someone.

18. Uncle Psychosis

101 Ways of spotting when someone is on shaky ground:
    Number 47: They use The Matrix as an example.

I'm sorry, but I simply refuse to believe that any sane person would be incapable of doing their job without their piercings.

As I said before (I really want to make this clear) I believe that people should be able to appear as they wish but I fail to see how having to take a piercing out will affect someone to the point where they will be unable to do their job properly!

Sam

19. penski

penski BodMod

I feel ill when i remove my tongue piercing...if I'm feeling ill, I cannot work to the best of my abilities.

Its really not that hard a concept to grasp...

*n

20. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

The company I work for has zero tolerance towards any "body modifications" this even covers tattoos, if there on show your out the door... :eyebrow: