1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam LegoWorld

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lilgoth89, 2 Jun 2015.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

So lego have just put their new game up for pre-order

so lego inspires minecraft, that teams up with lego to make Lego Minecraft sets

so that lego can than take on minecraft, with a Minecraft inspired Lego game

my brain hurts....

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Feels like they're a bit late to this. Frankly, I thought Lego should have bought Minecraft when it first started getting popular and 'branded' that. Would have been a killer acquisiton.

Especially if they added in a digital brick library and let you save/export designs to be built in real Lego bought from the store.

I guess they can do all that with this, but it seems like the Minecraft/Digital Lego train has well and truly left the station and this is doomed to obscurity..

3. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Not convinced there's no room for this - I'm excited! Might wipe my son's minecraft account and install this instead!

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

im also not convinced there is no room for this, especially if they add the ability to build vehicles and drive them in-game

taking on whatever remains of the Digital Designer would also be a huge plus as that used to have the option of going to the Lego store, buying every single brick in whatever you built, printing instructions and sending it to your house ( for the classic lego price of 1 arm, 1 leg and your first born child )

5. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

after i watched this trailer i ended up getting my lego out of the attic lol. time to start building lol

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cool! Something I will play with my daughter, apart of Minecraft.

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I've had a few debates with my friends about Lego and Minecraft. Back when Minecraft came out, they expressed the opinion that Lego was foolish not to have done an open sandbox world with digital Lego bricks, and that Lego should have done it sooner. I can see their point, and I understand why Lego eventually released a sandbox game of their own, but I contended that a digital sandbox game with access to all the available Lego Bricks would ultimately undermine the core of Lego's philosophy - the idea of play with a physical brick.

Licensing various franchises for the recent video games has been very positive for Lego, but the games themselves never really encroached into that protected space. They allow you to play as pre-made characters in pre-built worlds, following established stories. It is sort of like playing with Lego, but not really the same. If kids can just fire up the computer and build a car using any available piece, and then actually drive that car in a virtual world, what's the likelihood of them wanting any more of the physical sets that now seem somehow limited. For now it appears as though Lego Worlds is still somewhat limited in scope, but what's the end goal? A Minecraft clone with maybe a few additional pieces? A complete digital bin with every Lego brick? Something in between?

Is that actually a bad thing? If it's done well then Lego will probably make a bunch of money, but is it sustainable long term? Will the digital brick still be special 5 years from now? 10 years? What about the physical brick?

8. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

If they could do the instruction book thing they did with the lego designer app that would be a good cross over between digital and physical creations! Design it on the computer then build it for real! (Also good preperation for the world of work!)

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Interesting thought, but "virtual" lego construction has been possible for many, many years thanks to the free LDraw software - unlimited access to every lego brick ever designed.

There's more to the LEGO Worlds game than simply playing with lego as one would in reality, because first and foremost it's a game, so there's more to it than just construction, or indeed construction with Lego.

Well that's my thoughts anyway. :)

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

The Lego Digital Designer can export models to Lego Worlds but you need to use a custom pallet (which can be found on the steam forums) just now until Lego Worlds catches up with the amount of different bricks available in LDD. Also you can create your own vehicles and import them to LW but they wont be usable, I'm not sure if they plan to add support for that yet.
    I never liked the look or mining aspect of minecraft, but when this came out on Steam EA I just had to get it.

For anyone interested they have also said they will be trying to do a big content update/bug fixs on a monthly basis with the first one due soon.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

The first update is out (after a short delay) it was mostly bug fixing and performance optimisations but they did add another lego brick !

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Anyone playing this already?
    How is it? I know its early access, but how does it feel? Good stuff? Worth investing in this game?
    Right now its £12 on Steam...
    Don't know when full game is out, says 2016.

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

My 8 year old kid is playing it, seems to like it. Not really given it much attention tbh, but it's not as craft dependent as minecraft.