1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens compatibility

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by ModMonkey, 1 Sep 2006.

1. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Hi all,

first off apologies for the noobiness of any comments i make. Until last week i had no idea what aperture was and the idea of taking a picture in anything other than auto mode merely produced blurry images.

I was recently given a kodak Z740 with the easy share printer and have been fairly impressed with the general quality. Once i'd seen some of the POTM entries here though I decided i'd like to look into some of the more advanced setting on the camera.

Having played with those i'm now getting some better pics and a better general knowledge of the bits and pieces.

Now for the real question. The Kodak site states that only 2 lenses are available for this camera when used with the supplied 55mm adapter. A wide angle lens and a 1.4x telephoto lens. I'm not sure how these will translate when used wit the 10x optical (digital switched off) zoom. But, there seem to be plenty of 55mm lenses available. Will any of these be compatible? Is the thread always the same on these?

I'm really keen to use some of the filters that you can get and get a better understanding of the camera but certainly don't have the money to buy an DSLR at this time. Also if i were to get one of these would they be compatible with most SLRs? (Just thinking about the future! :naughty: )

2. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

If your camera is not a point and shoot, chances are, extra lenses are just add ons, which should work, but not as well. 1.4x with your 10x zoom will yield 14x zoom. The quality of the images may drop, but not too noticably if you're not that picky or monied for high end equiptment.

Unfortunately, those 2 lenses, which are probably just addons made for the that camera, will probably not work with anything else. Unless cameras are based off the 4/3 standard (Olympus etc.), without an adapter, only their lenses will work with their cameras. So Nikon lenses will only work with Nikon, Canon with Canon etc.

This is not to say you can't get certain adapters for certain brands - but again, it's most likely not an actual replacable lens you'd be buying for your Kodak, so it wouldn't actually do much if you ever upgrade to a dSLR.

As for filters, they come in various diameters for different lenses. If you have filters, you can always just hold them out in front of the lense to snap the shot.

3. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Sorry i probably worded that wrong.

What i mean is would i be able to buy another add on lens by any manufacturer and attach it to the Kodak?

The 55mm adapter has a screw thread. Is this a fairly common connection?

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

No

The screw thead is generally for add on filters.

Most lenses are push and twist with contacts for the AF, and made to fit specific types of camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS300D/Images/lensmount01.jpg