1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Let's discuss Tesla Motors

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 18 Jan 2014.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

[​IMG]

Let's save all our money and buy as many as possible and start a taxi company when they come over here 7 seaters.

Hnnnnggggg

anyway back on topic...

Thoughts? Never need to pay for petrol cost around 38k Not bad!

also just sold all my Bitcoin stock to buy Tesla stock

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

You'll still need to pay for petrol in the form of the grid, unless you have solar panels at your house.

3. Weekly_Estimate

Your wrong they elect Tesla Super charging stations everywhere which is free.

[​IMG]

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Come up north, where the nearest Nissan charging station is a good 20 miles away, and it doesn't work. Idealistically it would be great, reality is it's not. If you're in London then cool.

Also, what happens if you owned one, there was a Tesla charging station but a few cars are already waiting? Not use your car for a day or two while you wait?

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

You need to do a lot of miles to make owning an electric car worth it. And that's a lot of miles in a car with a very short range.

Given that battery packs realistically only have a life expectancy of three years and cost about £7000 you have to do about 18k every year just to pay for the batteries.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They have the bollard/parking meter type chargers in Newcastle, and there is one that constantly has a Nissan Leaf hooked up, on charge... doesn't matter what time of the day, go past that charger the car is plugged in, charging... i've never seen the car move or not be tethered to that bollard...

outside the city centre though... good luck finding a charger...

the only other electric car i've seen out and about was another Leaf, broken down rather ironically outside the Nissan factory...

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Tesla is basically a halo/proof of concept company. If you really want to run a realistic and affordable car with minimal petrol usage, you need to look at something like the Chevrolet Volt. Plug in, good range on battery, extended range with a small ICE, good power to weight.

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Charging stations that boost the power into it, such as Nissans new proposed ones in their garages which take much less time to charge the batteries make the life expectancy of the batteries much worse, and in some cases could half the life expectancy.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

At the supercharger stations there's also the option of a battery swap, this option costs but gives you full charge without the wait.

11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Interesting, what would be interesting as well is costs involved.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

There are some things i want to point out about the Tesla S.

The battery swap system is a proof of concept and as far as i know has not been implemented.

The battery has a 8 year warranty on it, the EPA range on it is 265 miles, the car goes from 0 to 60mph in 5.4s, it has 362hp and 440Nm of torque (the performance version takes 4.2s and has 416hp and 600Nm).

You can recharge it on any wall socket as it comes with its own charger, if you plug it into that 240V plug where you connect your washing machine it will charge 29 miles each hour, just plug it when you get home and in the next morning you have enough charge for the rest of the day.

The fast charger system is for when you need to take those long trips, just plug it in, go drink a coffee and/or take a s*** and come back to a fully recharged battery.

It is a luxury sedan, when you compare it with other luxury sedans there are very few things that compare to it at that price level.

It has 5 seats + 2 for kids in the rear trunk.

Since it has no engine in the front it has an extra storage compartment called the frunk.

It is the best selling car in Norway, something like 7% of all new cars were Tesla model S.

Have you guys seen the interior?

About Tesla itself... if it is a proof of concept company it has been one for the last 11 years. The guy that owns it is also the owner of SpaceX and founded PayPal.

Unless it is purchased by another company or some disaster removing the profit and killing it (look at the fisker karma and hurricane katrina) i doubt it will die any time soon.

13. Weekly_Estimate

Dash looks fantastic
    [​IMG]

Insides look okay
    [​IMG]

Extra Seats for kids
    [​IMG]

Tesla Model S breaks testing machine, is now the safest car ever crash-tested by NHTSA

(To my knowledge is probably the only car ever crash tested by whoever the heck NHTSA are.
    [​IMG]

You guys best brace yourselves cause change is coming.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

All I can say about that is lol, believe it when independent reviewers see it.

29miles an hour recharge rate is still nine hours, which is still not good enough versus four minutes to refill my little Skoda to do another 800 miles.

As for the biggest selling car in Norway, I checked this. They sold 801 cars over the year and were the best selling car for September, impressive, but not quite seven percent of all cars sold in the year. Norway is way ahead of everywhere else for electric car infrastructure, so maybe a sign of the future, or maybe a blip we'll all laugh at as we drive our fuel cell cars around in three decades time.

Outside of cities electric cars are still not workable, not enough range not fast enough to recharge. But, compared to ten years ago it's looking closer and closer all the time, although Tesla won't be there to see it when the big boys take up the tech and use their existing dealer networks to crush them, not that it's ever happened before...

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

The Tesla model S is a very good car. It is perfect for someone who has around ~50 mile commute. Electric cars are definitely the future (anyone who thinks other wise is a idiot), I am quite excited for them. They are not quite there yet but the tesla is sign of good things to come. I will say the interior of the tesla is ****.

At the moment you can't get away with it being your only car, it makes a great daily driver. But you will need a 2nd car for weekend holiday trips.

Electric cars have such big advantages over petrol and diseal powered cars, even in its infant state. They have instant torque, no power train losses, very cheap to run and they have very few mechanical parts so they will very reliable.

Don't get me wrong I love petrol and some diesel powered cars. But it would be stupid of people to ignore electric powered cars. You will probably own one in the next 10-20 years for sure.

If you are still sceptical watch this:

And:

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Still a long way off been viable, and dont forget where the power comes from... Nuclear and fossil fuel plants. Your not saving the planet using them at all.

Overly expensive
    Charge takes to long
    Nowhere to charge outside London
    Incredibly heavy
    When something goes wrong, no one has a clue how to fix it apart from dealer, so will cost a bomb.

Ill rather take a VTEC k20 any day.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

As far as hydrogen goes, it would fit our existing infrastructure, but the total efficiency of creation is less efficient than pure electric drive so it doesn't really solve the whole equation. Plus, while motoring enthusiasts hate the silence with more and more people and urbanization, having quieter things can only be better. Maybe not in Europe, but Asia is pretty ****ing packed out @_@. I have to listen to 2-stroke mopeds all day and night and electrifying mopeds should be the FIRST thing we do: short distance, removable battery option, low top speed, constant accel/decel.

The wife and I were actually considering a BMW i3 the other day. Simply because I'm absolutely loathe to pay for petrol.

But, but but but, having said that, the wife did also want a mini...

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

True, creating hydrogen isn't easy. Depends on the gains over using petrol/diesel in terms of efficiency. Both technologies look promising, but both still need some work. We saw one of these

http://www.renault.co.uk/cars/electric-vehicles/fluence-ze/fluence-ze/index.jsp

for about £8k i think the other day used. And IIRC the batteries are leased which is both good and bad. Range isn't as good as the Tesla though.

As someone who has a license yet doesn't drive, I'm excited by them all :D

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Is this enough for you?

Notice that he is driving in the winter with short sleeves, he is using the air conditioning and therefore consuming more power, and the efficiency of the batteries drop with the cold climate.

I forgot to point out it was for September, sorry.

I doubt your daily commute is 255 miles long, if it is then you should move closer to your work.

Considering that each person should sleep for at least 8 hours and then the recharge rate on a common house plug is more than enough.