1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Level Twelve

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 4 Nov 2010.

1. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

God, I had almost forgotten how insanely good Level Eleven looks! Looking forward to see this completed as well :)

So USB 3.0 and power will be routed from the main enclosure to the support box on the outside of the case? Or have I misunderstood something here :worried: No matter, I'm sure you'll work out a nice solution!

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. Only the USB 3.0 cable will "connect" the two boxes. Power to the support box will come from this...

[​IMG]

I do however like the idea that a power cable from the main box could be used in a pinch. I have a reason why I'm doing what I'm doing....no, really. :D

3. [GF]Burke

[GF]Burke What's a Dremel?

Looking great Jeff. Amazing what we can shoe-horn into tiny spaces these days.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

:D

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Tru dat Jamie. Shoe-horning is the new modding skill...for some anyway. :D Mini-ITX modding has really taken off lately.

########################################################

A few minor set-backs. You might notice the OD in the last photo of the previous update is not sitting flush to the back. The cradle managed to dry slightly skewed so I had to re-do that piece.

[​IMG]
    Finishing the front face of the support box. The USB ports are mounted low 'cause that's the way I like them. L11's were mounted high because I had no other choice.

[​IMG]
    Back side of the "Out" hub.

[​IMG]
    Gluing up the boards using the staggered ends thing. Insert homage to Lincoln Logs here.

[​IMG]
    Milling sections and adding bits here and there to create the proper profile. I really enjoy this kind of stuff.

[​IMG]
    Glued up the final piece. Dry, Trim.

[​IMG]
    Made a cradle for the hard drive. Looks weak but the OD and HDD cradles are built to span the interior width of the support box. They will be glued up on both sides. The cradles will give additional strength to the support box and in turn will do the same for the cradles. Inorganic symbiosis. I think I'll drive in a few screws here and there in case I'm talking out my ass.

[​IMG]
    The other "issue" to deal with is the fact that the assembled USB 3.0 contoller board and hard drive are too wide (deep?) for the space. To fix this I got a SATA extension cable to connect the two remotely. I'll have to dig up some more stand-offs and create a wood interface for the USB board.

[​IMG]
    Family portrait.

[​IMG]
    Correctly oriented.

[​IMG]
    Huge mis-calculation on the bolt length needed to attach the support box to the base.

Thanks for looking.

6. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

sure is nice weather for modding there.

this time of year, any mods done outside here had better be extremely water proof :sigh:

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

November is my favorite month here in the Sunshine State. I'm trying to enjoy it the best I can.

[​IMG]
    I guess I have lots of these kind of photos because I do this a lot. Hand milling the wood until it fits.

[​IMG]
    Measuring and maths and alchemy. Setting the exact location the support box meets the base.

[​IMG]
    Keeping my surface level to drill more accurate holes. This is my 3/4" Forstner bit.

[​IMG]
    The Forstner bit drills holes with a perfectly flat bottom. The trick here is to drill the holes all at the same depth.

[​IMG]
    3/4" flat washers fit down into each hole.

[​IMG]
    I use my 1/4" brad point drill bit to finish each hole and fit in 1/4" bolts. The staggered pattern is because of the hard drive cradle location.

[​IMG]
    Drill out the support piece and finish assembly. Straight and square and going no where.

[​IMG]
    Time for a little fun. Here is my IKEA flat pack computer enclosure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will call this photo First Erection :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Using a "cheater board" to help the box floor to assume its proper position. (Actually it's a little low.)

[​IMG]
    I'll eventually have wood screws driven across the width of the lower support and into the box floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

8. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

just simply stunning! You skills with wood never cease to amaze me. :thumb:

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks murtoz!

[​IMG]
    Cut a maintenance access hole in the side. Once everything is glued up this will be the only way in or out of the support box.

[​IMG]
    I practice taking drives and hubs out and putting them back in. Nothing is really easy or convenient. It only has to be possible.

[​IMG]
    The only issue from my access tests was getting to the nuts securing the base. The smaller raised section you see here is about to be detached and become a permanent part of the support box. The base will be re-attached as the last step in this build. The two outside nuts are inaccessible through the maintenance access hole. Coffee...black.

[​IMG]
    My solution is to use these T-nuts. These particular T-nuts are called Long Prongs. Also a great pr0n name.

[​IMG]
    Installation starts by placing them in position.

[​IMG]
    I use a long bolt and a scrap piece of plywood and insert he bolt through to the T-nut. Tightening the bolt draws the T-nut prongs deep into the plywood. Use of the scrap plywood distributes the force across a large surface instead of on my Forstner hole.

[​IMG]
    Using this method ensures alignment with the attaching bolt. Hammering in a T-nut is a rookie mistake. Yup, that's what I did the first time.

[​IMG]
    Finished up. Now I don't have to access the interior nuts when attaching the base.

[​IMG]
    I've been wanting to use one of these Undesign X-brackets. Nicely made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mounted to the original 3.5" drive bracket. This bracket screws into the case front and side so it adds strength to the case. This Crucial 256GB C300 SSD is the most valuable component in this build so I think it should be displayed.

[​IMG]
    Elevated and centered. I think it will look OK when all is assembled. If not, the X-bracket gives me lots of options. I drilled out holes for the Delta fan and mounted it along with a black chrome finger guard.

[​IMG]
    Sleeving work. Just old school stuff. Nothing fancy.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Why? Was it confusing and slightly exhilarating?

I like those nuts! :naughty:

11. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

and over quickly? :lol:

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

All shaping up very nicely. Looking good:thumb:

13. stn

stn What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice project! Me want MOAR :p

14. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Awesome work!! I love wooden cases and this certainly looks to be at the top end in the quality stakes. Subbed to this thread.

15. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I agree. I seem to find some reason to use them in most every project.

:hehe:

Thanks! :thumb:

See attached for MOAR...:D

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Where have you been?

[​IMG]
    Gluing the cradles, bottom piece and misc other bits. Boiled Linseed Oil and Contact Cement make the best weights IMO.

[​IMG]
    I connect up a few cables that will be very hard to get to otherwise. A straight support piece (towards the top) was made and placed. A slide-in bracket was made for the hard drive USB 3.0 board.

[​IMG]
    Everything but the kitchen sink for this gluing operation. I apply wood glue with a paint brush for this kind of stuff.

[​IMG]
    While that drys I finish up the power supply modding and installation.

[​IMG]
    Some sheet metal work and voodoo gets me something that I hope looks stock.

[​IMG]
    Result of effort. Sanding down the end pieces to even things out comes next.

[​IMG]
    The round hole is where an On/Off switch for the hard drive power will go. The support box has its own power supply and I intend to use the support box USB ports to recharge phones and i-pods without having to turn the computer on. The switch lets me keep power off to the storage drive while doing this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To bring additional strength to the structure I'm going to "face" three of the four edges with 1/32" five-ply plywood.

[​IMG]
    Measure and cut some holes by carving them out with a razor knife

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

16. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Wooden case. Insta-sub!

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Oh gawd, its so nice it makes me want to cry; outstanding work as per usual Mr slippery!
    [​IMG]

18. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Wood +17598365921 :D

Subbd.

19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

inspiring!

Its so clean and accurately done aswell!

20. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

As always nice and clean work.