1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LF advice...

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Jeff Hine, 18 Sep 2019.

1. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Cpl. factors first off:
    • Most of the hardware in my current machine (see signature, below) is less than a year old.
    • I'm still in financial recovery from the above.
    At some point I would like to water-cool my PC, to add water-cooling to my skill set, if nothing else.
    So; if I want to do so with my current machine, would it be a wasted exercise, given that the hardware is barely better than mainstream...? It seems a bit OTT to custom loop just a CPU, when an AIO would do the same job, albeit that a custom loop would (probably?) do the job better.

The main thing that I'm fairly certain I'm going to need is - given it's age/generation - a new case... the Antec P280 wasn't at the front of the queue when water cooling conference invites went out.

I tried to start a discussion about cases, yesterday but - even by my standards - I made a complete & utter pig's ear of how I worded it.

So; here goes for take-2... given the spec. of machine I have & adding water cooling into the mix, what case would anyone here be willing to recommend; but with as close to £100 for a budget as possible (if it even is).

However... factor in that the whole project may take up to the next 5 years for me to get finished, so I know that there will be some reluctance to recommend a case - based on that, are there case makers that are favoured for water cooling over others, on a 'general acceptance level...?

2. Jeff Hine

This thread is causing me paranoia: I genuinely can't find any source for cases that are intended for watercooling, ones with pump/res. mounting already part of the design.
    I accept that I've largely got myself to blame for being an over thinker, but that aside, is there nothing worth recommendation?

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Not a case guy, but phanteks?
    If you can't find a pump mount in a case stock, there's brackets that mount to radiators for pump/res combos.

Jeff Hine likes this.
  4. Jeff Hine

Like the look of the P400* &/or P600**... so many variants.
    *smaller than my P280
    **similar size...

5. Impatience

Impatience Active Member

Fractal Design’s Define R6 is REALLY easy for watercooling!

6. Jeff Hine

Was looking more along the lines of an Enthoo Pro-M* - at least budget wise.
    *yes, I changed my mind from above

7. Osgeld

Osgeld Member

Raidmax alpha series for an aged case that's got space and is pretty cheap

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The P600S and Evolv X from Phanteks have mounting points for pump / res combos

9. Jeff Hine

As nice as the Evolv X is, £200 is too rich for me; I would consider stretching to a P600, if I needed to.
    Granted I have a P280 at the moment, but if I can go a tad smaller - w/o going full ITX - that'd be nice.

Prior to the P280, I used (and still have, gathering dust) a Nine Hundred and w/ my ODD getting minimal use a 'smaller' ATX - under 250mm wide - is preferable.

10. Arthur

Arthur Comment is over there ----->

Drive bay reservoirs save space and no need for brackets. I am currently using two koolance rp-452x2 reservoirs in my case, one for each loop.

Just another option :thumb: