1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LG announces world's first 3D smartphone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Feb 2011.

1. ztep86

ztep86 What's a Dremel?

I'm not quite sure how this product qualifies as the world's first 3D smartphone. The naked-eye 3D Sharp Galapagos 003SH has been available in Japan for over 3 months. Perhaps they meant to say that the Optimus would be the first 3D smartphone available in the US.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I was just about to post about the 2GHz.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ok, At the moment I´m at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, and I´ve been playing around with the Optimus 3D.

Gaming - played some driving games, which apart from being horrible to control also looked horrible. There was a lot of ghosting and when you moved your head the image flickered. Not good at all. Interestingly there was slider so you could adjust the level of 3D you wanted, and if you went all the way down it would snap down to 2D again. Thank god.

Apps - flicked through a couple of the 3D optimised apps provided by LG for demo use, and to be honest, the 3D feature doesn´t add a lot in terms of functionality or usabilty. They do look cool, but that will soon wear off.

Photos/videos - I have to admit these did look cool. When your taking pictures with your cellphone they are usually just casual fun, I don´t know anyone actually into photography that uses their mobile as their primary means of taking pictures. For this then, the 3D effect works well and definitely adds something to the pictures. I think it helps that there is no movement and so the quality reduction usually associated with 3D wasn´t there.

All in all, I think it works well for certain things and I´d pay more for the functionality but 3D needs to be a feature rather than a keystone.

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Cheers Parge. I think I'll be sticking to the 3DS and my iPhone! :hehe:

Tags: Add Tags