1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lian Li Mods?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sid, 16 Mar 2002.

1. Sid

Sid Banned

Rite, im VERY new to all this pc case modding stuff. i havnt actually done any mods or anythin b4. but im plannin on building a new computer fairly soon and i want to make my case look cool.

the case im gonna get is a lian-li one i saw in maplin. no other high street shops seem to sell it, so thats where id probably get it from. it was sellin for around £130 which i thought was an alright price to pay. do any of u guys know anywhere cheaper than that?

ive been looking around this site and some others and ive kinda been decided what mods im gonna attempt. im a bit of a perfectionest and what im gonna do-i want done well. so heres what i was thinking on doing:

-i was gonna buy the standard lian-li side window for the case
    -stick in a blue cathode
    -put some nice blue leds underneath the usb ports behind the clear window on the front of the case
    -change the power leds to blue onez
    -put some rotary switch things that ive seen on a lot of modded cases to control the fan levels

i was also thinking about cutting a top blowhole. not sure about gettin a 120mm one or the 90mm (i think its 90) one. will getting a top blowhole improve cooling considerably? will the cooling have much of an effect on performance?

i was also wanting to do some kind of stealthing thing. although im not too keen on the case looking entirely bare. what i would really prefer to have are aluminium drives. but i dont think its possible to get them. or is it?

i was having a look and i really liked the fan controls on this case. the blue light especially looks really nice:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/images/ukcase/64/2l.jpg
    but im not sure how easy that would be to do as im new to this.

oh btw,where did the side viewing window on that case come from? can u buy that, or was it cut manually? cos i prefer that to the lian li standard viewing window. cos it doesnt show too much of the insides of the case.

last but not least, i would quite like some kind of lcd display, preferably in blue. this would have to be fitted in a 3 1/4" bay because the 4 5 1/2" bays will be occupied with drives and the fan controller unit thingy. how expensive are lcds?

really, all i want to know is what u thing of the mods im considering. do they sound ok? am i being stupid about anythin. also, what would u suggest in terms of cooling on the case. because i would like to add some more big fans!! is there anythin else you would suggest to do to the case?

thanx in advance for any help

-=sid=-

2. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

welcome to the boards m8 - looks like you've picked out a good egg by choosing that case.

You might wonna check out www.pcpowerzone.com where you can look at some articles on ' RIKK's ' Lian Li mods - they are truly awsome!

IMO, you can never have enuff cooling :D it wont increase system performance unless you plan on overclocking and i also beleave it was RIKK who added a second exhaust to his Lian Li. I tried searching for this article but had no luck - you can find my picture of the mod here >> http://neuro.woaf.net/case/09.gif

as for the rheobus, you can find a tuturial on how to make these either here or at pcpowerzone.com. You can also find out about our very own... ' Koolvins ' PCMODS ( pre built rheobus ) rheobus he moddified here >> http://www.bit-tech.net/article/41/

PCMODS rheobuses can be purchased from www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk for around 45 pounds - but be warned, they are hold to get hold of! =/ ( ive been waiting a good few weeks for mine so far )

umm, i think that was all. good luck, and enjoy ur stay :)

3. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i dunno i like the standard window... and macro's was a shop bought 'window kit' - see www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk

its 92mm fans (not 90mm btw)

the lian li u saw in maplin was probably a PC60 - and they generally seem to have the best price (beats online prices :D)

is the clear window on the front you're talking about is presumably the one over the usb flaps ???? cause not all are clear... the one i got from maplin was aluminium :D

talking about rheobuses will get u further than rotary switches when trying to find out more about fan control

dual 80mm exhaust like macro's - tutorial at vh ;)

look for matrix orbital LCDs because they have LED sidelighting - which is easier to mod to bl00 :)... finding one to fit in a 3.5" drive bay will be very hard... ask coolhand to see his pics of one taking up all three 3.5" drive bays.
    if u need more 5.25" drive bays take a look at a PC70

ok i'm tired now

4. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

whoo hoo...a chance to post more pics....

Sid: you can do alot with the lian-li....ive got alot of stuff to do yet....heres how i did the lcd thing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BoShek

BoShek What's a Dremel?

The USB cover on my PC-70 is not clear, but I doubt that would be really hard to mod....hmmmm, where did I put that dremel. Anyway, there are tons of things to mod on any case, the lian li's are just classy to me. They aren't the most expensive cases, but they are made really well, and in my limited modding experience they have been very easy to work with. Have fun, and do some research before you mod, it'll help with the confidence to see how other people have screwed up or succeeded, and hopefully you won't make the same mistakes. Oh yeah, welcome to the boards.

6. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

7. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

aah orry - my mystack. http://www.virtual-hideout.net/ for that spiffy deul exhaust mod.

8. Sid

Sid Banned

woah, i didn't expect so many replies so soon! this forum's pretty good! :D and all u nice ppl seem to write lovely tutorials on how to do stuff! hehe. /me is relived

about the clear usb bit. i know most of them are aluminium but there were a few in maplin that had clear onez, so i think ill go for them.

ok so ive decided on what my first mods are gonna be.

-im gonna do the aluminium things to the drives: like on viper's case
    -im gonna cut a big nasty hole at the side and put the smaller side window that Macroman has on his case
    -stick a blue cathode in
    -then im gonna go about doing that rheobus, like on Macroman's (again)

that should be enuff work for a while. sorry if u think im copying u guys. im just new and i dont hav enuff skillz to be original.

anywayz, thanx for all the help guys. im gonna start reading my way through these tutorials!

9. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

well, every one copies every one around here :) after all, there all v sweet and popular mods ;)

10. macroman

macroman The One

Fan overkill methinks ;)

[​IMG]

11. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

you can never have enuff fans :D

12. LaPPe

LaPPe What's a Dremel?

wow, where did u get the drive bezels from?

13. riyaz3000

riyaz3000 What's a Dremel?

mine!

just an excuse to put miine!!!!

[​IMG]

:D coming up to two weeks now...

14. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

looking good riyaz3000

LaPPe i think viperz made them :p... there was something like that on vh recently and viperz thread may only be a couple of pages back on this forum... take a quick look for it ;)

macro - is there much point in those ickle 40mm fans?

BoShek - the colour varies - i did a thread on it once... some ppl get alu ones , some get clear ones... alu looks much better :D

15. macroman

macroman The One

Non whatsoever. :D

They were just lying around so I used them :)

16. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

LaPPe, I carved them myself. Click on my home page link (in my sig) and go to PC's to see how they are made. If you have any questions fire me an e-mail.

Cheers! :)

17. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Macroman, that is one serious case Dood :eek:

Thats one time when I would have to say the back looks as good as the front (though I have not seen the front) for it's totally business looking.

You must have positive air pressure in the room it resdies ;)

18. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

U HAVE NOT SEEN THE FRONT ?!?!?!??!
    what the hell are u playing at??

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/35/ go now at incly!! :D

glory in the macro case :D

19. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Ahh yes! I know it now :)

Beautiful!