1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li PC-V1020 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jan 2011.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

2 comments and 1 question from me.

First, yes the case is expensive, but as others have written you're likely to keep that case for years to come. I've had mine for almost 10 years now and I haven't found a 100% suitable replacement yet. You might pay the same for e.g. a high-end graphics card, but that's going to be outdated in 6 months.

Second, there's a HUGE difference between an *anodized* and a *painted* interior. While painting the interior black (or red or white) might not be very costly it would definitely detract from the classiness of the case. I'd much rather just have aluminium "au naturel".

And then there's my question, which I still haven't been able to get answered for any V-Series case (the ones with wheels). Is it possible to replace those wheels with those case feet Lian Li offers? One of the things holding me back from getting a V-Series case has been just those wheels, considering the case would be standing on my desk.

2. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I have replaced the wheels with Feet on an earlier case but the feet were not manufactured by Lian-li, have also put the rear wheels with the brake on the front of the case, and the front wheels at the back to make it easier to roll, the holes and screws fit both ways.

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

nice case, but not £250 nice.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the info. :)

I was thinking of Lian-Li's own case feet, though.

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I would say you could, but the wheels are attached using 4 screws and the screw positions would likely not be in the best position for the feet. As for the size of the holes matching you could always e-mail them to ask.

This is the case I will most likely be getting for my next build. I only wish they still made the old V2000s, basically the same but bigger, the new ones just don't have the same look. I want my 12 HDD bays, 2 PSU mounts and a crap load of room upstairs. (Dual PSUs so I can house a mini-ITX server in the 5.25" bays and let it have it's own PSU.)

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've emailed Lian-Li on several occasions, but I've only ever got a reply once. That's why I'm asking in this context, as A) bit-tech currently has the case and B) bit-tech is much more likely to get a response from Lian-Li.

7. jalex3

jalex3 What's a Dremel?

i myself like the case... not the cost but i would really want side panel fans

8. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

I think for a good 90% of us - this case would definitely be a no go £259 is like what?? enough to get a ATi 6950 and have enough change to treat your second half to a posh meal - £259 is almost 6970 territory. Does the case REALLY need to be this costly?? I know its a Lian Li - and they make QUALITY cases but this price is utter madness I wonder how much it costs them to even make 1 of these cases

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I remember back in 2005 when I ordered my Wavemaster blinking at spending £100 on a case...

£250 is just stupid. There has got to be £30 worth of material and paint in that thing at most.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How long does a HD 6970 last though? 18 months? I know people - including myself - who have kept cases 5 years+. It depends if you're thinking investment or you enjoy new things regularly.

Mankz, £30? seriously? Do you know the price of aluminium and cost of manufacturing these days? :p:p Didn't you read our Lian factory tour? :p

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Umm. I liked the pictures?

:lol:

12. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

are you saying that you CANT keep cheaper cases for 5years+???? I have an Antec 902 - I have been using it for the last 2years im probably gonna keep it on for another year or 2 but i didnt have to pay £259 for it though!

£259 on just a case is really really splashing out and most people when they see the price will turn away and go for something else - like the Xigmatek utgard - you can pick up one for between £60 & £70 and its all the case you will ever need - so what if its a little uglier then the Lian Li - youre saving over £80 which can be spent on a small SSD.

Seriously - its a no brainer. and the 6970 will last longer then 18months if you slap in another one!! look at the pc gaming industry! look at the games that have come out for PC - they are mainly Console ports!! and because they are built to the spec of a console they dont really make a pc break a sweat when running them

----

the scaling for 2 6870s in crossfire is phenominal - its just amazing

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I agree. Don't Bit-tech still have the TJ-07 as the premium case choice in the mag (at work so can't look it up right now)? That case wasn't marked down due to the cost iirc. It's been in that position forever.

If I recall Bindi's Lian Li factory tour article correctly, Lian Li are short of english speakers which may explain the lack of email response. You are probably better off finding someone who has one or a friendly stockist who would have a look at one for you.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've been in contact with CaseKing in Germany, which is probably the biggest partner Lian-Li has in Europe. They either couldn't or wouldn't help me either... :(

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Shame, that would of been my very next suggestion too.

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the thought anyway... :)

17. Lamebot

Lamebot What's a Dremel?

@ Azrael - I'll take a look at the wheels on the case and how they attatch when i get back into the office next week and let you know.

azrael- likes this.
  18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Fantastic news! Thanks very much in advance! :)

19. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I realise this isn't strictly on topic, but why have you included a link to ebay graphics cards in the first page? Seems a bit odd tbh, for a start I'm perfectly able to look there myself if I want to, and I'd have thought you'd prefer to point people to the forums!

The link to a Mac Pro is also a bit odd...

Back to topic: wow. Never going to buy one though, way out of my league :(
    WRT the red one costing more - there's also the fact that the interior is coloured, where on the black one the interior isn't.

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I found a picture that shows how the wheels are installed
    [​IMG]
    That is from the V2120 though. I have been unable to find a close up picture of the bottom of the V1020 but from what I can see it doesn't look like it has any extra holes that could be used for feet. as this one seems to.
    However this post has a picture where you can see the screws and there do seem to be extra screws in about the right position for the feet. Will have to wait for Lamebot to get a better idea if those can be used for the feet or not.

azrael- likes this.
Tags: Add Tags