1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li PC-XB01 Review & Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 29 Aug 2008.

1. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

nice review, I am actually thinking about turning to the dark side and buy an old 360 and this case.

one question though, is there any chance any mods can be done to the DVD housing in the case to make it quieter?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There won't be many issues with the dvd drive come November, the games will be loadable to the HDD so it won't read the disc during Gameplay, though the disc needs to be in the drive for copy protection.

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Doesn't really look that good IMHO.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it would be awesome if MS and Lian Li joined forces and sold these pre-made and with warranty!

5. p3n

p3n New Member

Horrible!

6. beeboy

beeboy New Member

The only way to fix the loud DVD drive during gameplay is to flash/chip with custom firmware.
    Mines runs at 5X now (I think that the standard is 12X) and it is much, much better.
    Only a very few games seem to take any longer to load. I did some A-B tests and the worrs was GTA IV at about 5-8 seconds extra for the initial load.
    Well worth it for the effort and load times for the peace and quiet.

7. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I want that case for a htpc. nothing else. I do not own an xbox anyway. but the case itself is yummy. and could maybe fit a matx board

8. DougEdey

It'll fit an ATX board I reckon, easily, and an ATX PSU as well :p

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It's way too large, it's way too large and it's way too after market.

The way it SHOULD be done is that MS should sell two versions of the console; your traditional gaming console that looks like cheap pile of crap and a "home theater" version that fits in with the other equipment and doesn't yell like its been eaten alive.

10. sl1xx

sl1xx New Member

is it worth doing that 2 a 360...really !

11. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

We are modders first and foremost, so why not.

12. ruger

ruger New Member

In a XB01 case, does anyone know how many mm the gap is between the mainboard and chassis? The gap is approx 3mm in a regular 360 case. If the gap is different, I would like to get some new thermal gap filler pads.

It is my understanding that MS don't use these pads in the later 360 models, because they now use RAM that is less prone to heat issues - but that installing thermal pads in older models still might make sense. I am talking about the RAM on the back of the mainboard of course (which AFAIK is removed completely in the very latest models).

-R

13. DougEdey

They aren't really thermal transfer pads IIRC, they're designed to give support to the gRAM, in the newer versions there's no need because the gRAM is on the topside of the motherboard...

14. ruger

ruger New Member

The pads from MS are thermal pads indeed mate - Bergquist GPVOS Thermal Gap pads. http://www.bergquistcompany.com

They where needed for the old RAM, from i.e. Samsung RAM IIRC, but where not the later RAM types. As you say the latest models have all RAM on the topside, which still requires a 1.5mm pad between the chips and GPU. Would be interesting to replace this one with a better performing one, i.e. one of the high performance ones from:
    http://www.chomerics.com

The rubber pads from Team Xecutor however are pretty much only support to prevent mainboard flex (works as penny-fix / eraser-fix)...

15. ninyule

ninyule New Member

Hi all, having just bought one of these babies I thought I would give you an extra perspective. The review here pretty much matches my experience, with the following additions: time from opening box to completion was 90 mins - fairly easy job if you are experienced, but I would definitely NOT recommend this as a first job for a novice. You get all the necessary screws from the kit apart from the 3 screws to attach the RF module to the bracket, so I would strongly recommend that you keep all screws handy. The DVD brackets have either been modded since this review, or the writer was not paying attention (ahem!) because the brackets can only go in one way - no confusion there...The new extended SATA cable for the DVD is actually a pain, being far too long for the case, but everything has been pretty well thought out - EXCEPT...

...there are no holes to mount the wifi module!! This seems to me to be an unbelievable oversight, as I would imagine that the vast majority of purchasers would have wifi installed in their 360s. You could drill holes yourself, though being a coward I shall probably cut off the lugs on the module and mount it with sticky pads. Because of the depth of the box, you can hide the aerial beneath the top level of the box so that it is unseen.

I have my xbox installed in a hifi stack of glass shelves. My first reaction when putting it back with a PS3, turntable and AV amp was: 'this is a bit of a lump'. I would have to agree that it has no aesthetic value whatsoever. Switching on, it is noticeably quieter than the Xbox console (modded with the Talisman fan kit), and thus MASSIVELY quieter than the stock system. Frustratingly, though, it is STILL not as quiet as the PS3 (how do Sony do it??).

The XB01 cost me £90 via Amazon.co.uk, and I would have to say that it is somewhat overpriced for what you get. I would also say that unless you need it to cut the noise, it has no other advantage whatsoever, though it is a fun job to do, and of course if you ever need to fiddle around inside the guts again, it is a piece of cake to disassemble.

Tags: Add Tags