1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lian Li pc90 - Pre rebuild stages

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by huren, 13 Oct 2005.

1. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

So wer do you live? and how easy would it be to carry this once its done? :worried:
    But great mod, wish I had teh money to do this, damn being a student in 7th form with exams in 3 weeks an savin for a 1 year trip 2 teh UK but hey, after school i'm free 2 mod. Good luck in teh contest ciao.

2. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Today started with the work on the rear of the case.
    Ive decided that ill be painting the case blue, but what tone of blue im not to sure yet, and to go with this ill be using blue acrylic.
    Now ive opted for acrylic covers on the rear of the case insteed of the alloy. this will work well im hoping.
    Seeing theres not much alloy left anywere, why stop now .

So heres a few pictures as i knwo thats what u all want
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ill be going for a 120mm fan > the 80mm i think....
    [​IMG]
    the rear of the top panel
    [​IMG]
    traced around it onto the acrylic
    [​IMG]
    the rough cuts
    [​IMG]
    and with asistance from this little grinding stone
    [​IMG]
    we get a nice snug fit
    [​IMG]
    next was to get the acrylic fittied to the motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]
    and then rivited annd up for a test fitting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

next up was to start on the psu mounting plate as if i was too mount it the current way i wouldnt be ableto remove the mobo tray without taking the psu with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i then screwed the plate to the orig. plate for the filling process
    [​IMG]
    and the POW!
    [​IMG]
    screwed to my test psu
    [​IMG]
    next up it was time to ruin my previous work, and cut it out of the rear panel as it wasnt required :<
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :D prefect fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but now it was time to see if its auctally going to work out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ** huren queues the dramatic music..............................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wicked, a perfect fit :)

and with that out of the way it was now time to move onto the rear fan mounting.
    After a little measurements with the mobo tray in place, ive found that the fan will be far to tight when in place to remove the mobo tray without causing any stress on the rear planel.
    So a 90mm fan might be in order.
    But ill see how things go tomorrow.
    But this is were ive started on the rear fan.
    [​IMG]
    itll be mounted with countersunk fan screws onto the chasis itself so i c an remove the mobo tray without taking the fan with it.

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

UPDATES.

haha cheers man.
    The realy suprising thing about this case is that it weighs less then my stacker, even with all the hardware in it.
    I havnt really spent that much on this case, all the hardware was at a great price proir to sponsership from computerlounge for less the the cpu is worth new.
    the Main pc60 i go tcost me $300nzd with a nf7, 2200+, 512 generic, dvd writer, 80gig and a few others which at the time was a well worth bargin and counted myself getting a free case.
    The 2nd li was given to me by a mate at no cost as long as i did something intresting with it, and i think ive done that =D
    Well thats all for now anyhow, time to go back too the beers and pass out, so untill next time guys, enjoy :)

5. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

now ive been fighting acrylic colours all day.
    by this i mean what colour am i going to settle on for the rear panel as the blue i have just dosnt look right in my books.
    maybe a softer blue, or a white. my heads really starting to hurt :(

[​IMG]

But not much of an update, way to hung over today to really do anything :p
    But i have started to work on the bottom area for the time being as its really been neglected by the upper case.
    As you've seen in earlyer pictures i have the other 5" rack in the bottom thats housing the res.
    And i thought id deal to the edges of the res, with my good old router.
    [​IMG]
    getting the edges nice and round as they were very sharp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then the stealth covering work begins with a piece of acrylic to fit the side...
    [​IMG]
    quick test fit.
    [​IMG]
    with a few holes for holding it to the cage.
    [​IMG]
    then i cut a pice of clear acrlic, routerd the edges and did a little counter sinking...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    layed out ontop of the cover
    [​IMG]
    then do a little etching..
    [​IMG]
    and then we get this effect ^_^.
    [​IMG]
    The acrylic is using mobo stand-offs, and the black screws will be replaced with acrylic ones later this week.
    The etching will be lite up with a row of 3 white 5mm leds on the bottom and another row from the top.
    We'll be able to see it nicely through the side panel once fitted.

Well thats where im at atm with the case, time to go refuel on the beers, and get back to it.

so unitl next time post your comments etc. in the pc90 discussion thread.. c u ^__^

6. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

minor update.

[​IMG]

anyone got any opinions on what colour for the acrylic. Im pretty keen on doing the case white, with a coarse blue pearl, and a little glitter mettalic.
    This would mean my favourite type f paint job, the good old three layer pearl ^__^.
    And then using white acrylic for the rear etc.

but your thoughts and sugestions are more then welcome.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2005
  7. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

and this is what it looks like with just one 5mm led at the bottom.
    i would have put more there but i couldnt find were i packed them >_<!

[​IMG]
    and this shot is with a piece of 7mm black tint infront of it, which is around 2-3 times darker then the tint im using.
    [​IMG]

Now i just need to put computerlounge at the bottom of it and itll be done ~

well untill tomorrow c u 8)

8. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

dont all post at once now.

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I think its the new layout, this mod is great, but I dont want to just say this is awsome, which it is, and just put random posts. what you could do is show us the diff acrylics in place, as in put the acrylic with a little showing so we can see which looks best with the whole case. For the LED's do you have any green ones? so then you could put them horozontal and light up the Computer lounge logo green, the blue looks great aswell.

BTW, how much does the acrylic cost, as I am looking at putting a side window in the family computer.
    Keep it up, this case rocks :rock:

10. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

i get my acrylic from my sponser modern plastics, but for a window sized piece youd be looking at about 5$ ~

11. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Well no pictures to post yet, im still in the middle of about a million things.
    But i did manage to pick up my 2nd ps1 screen abotu 15 minutes ago.
    Im pretty angry with it though, as i brought it off our local auction site, i asked if it was a genuine SONY screen and was told it was. BUT NO. its another thrustmaster , bad fedback going down tonighti tell u . But none the less itll have to do.

Ive changed the colour of the case now and im pretty happy with it.
    It'll be going my current favourie colour which is red.
    Ive painted a fair few case's red, and ill opst some pictures to give u an idea of what red to be exact.

-----------------------|||--------------------------|||------------------------

Ok well ive been down solderign the new screen when i got half way through and my solderign iron decided to die on me, so the screen is on hold untill i get a new one.
    When this happened it put me into a CBF stage, so i came upstairs and thought of a new res idea.ok well

Im not much for photo shop etc. person so heres a quick Paint shop to give u an idea.
    [​IMG]
    Ive thought seeing im goign to be running 2 loops inthe system why not use 2 res's.
    They will only be single 5" res's, but both glued to the front window.
    The next thing was how was i going to fill the bottom res with them both glued, as theres no room.
    The first idea was filling the bottom one via a fill port which comes out the side of the res, next to the top one, which would work.
    But i thought that would be just too easy.
    So now what ive opted for as u can sort of make out in my uber pro sketch work, is that the fill port will be ontop of the top res, next to its own fill port.
    The lower res will have a piece of 15mm ID acrylic tubing going through the top into the lower res top.
    Which will fill X_X.

Now the plan sounds all good in my head, but wether it works or not is a different thing.
    So ill be off for some tubing tomorrow.

I think ill go have a nap now, planning makes me so tired :|

and this is the red i ws thinking of going, this was amates pc i sprayed a day before Xlan ( New Zealands largest lan event )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a wave master i sprayed from coolermaster / pcalpha for the same lan in the same colour which looks wicked with the abit fat. boards.
    [​IMG]
    some ppl like it, some ppl dont, i personally love it , and seeing i have matching acrylic to go with it it'll work well with the case i is to be thinking.

** ill add the image of the acrylic here soon ~ **

thoughts and ocmments about the colour would be good, go on, i dont bite much

12. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Looking good... I was worried at first when it was starting out... I had faith and now look it's all grown.. heh... keep up the good work huren

13. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

cheers man.

heaps of people that i chat too were a bit worried when they first saw theearly shots also.
    HELL even i was woried :p, but everything seems to be comming together nicly now.
    and i just recieved comfirmation from crystalfontz that my lcd is being shipped.
    Cant wait for that to get here, never had any toys liek this to play with before this case, so it shall be fun ^__^.

cheers,

whore / huren ~

14. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I laughed my arse off when I saw that pic. Great looking mod so far man, you're doing some good acrylic work. Can't wait to see it finished.

15. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

haha yeah a few ppl have pointed out and had too look at it twice :p.

i thought i pulled it off quite well ^__^

16. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Well i slept in again today, and have limited time to mod due to it being shopping day.
    But i have managed to start on the res.

But first this is the red acrylic ill be using, ive matched it too the paint ill beusing and it looks wicked.
    [​IMG]
    Nice grade i think ~
    [​IMG]

Now ive decided to go with clear 4.5mm sides, top/bottoms, and 3mm rear and front red acrylic.
    This way the parts u might see blend in with the case colour.

heres a few pictures of were im at with it as we speak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i havnt had the time to go too my supplier to grab some tubing, so ill have to do that tomorrow soo we can find out how this top mount fill port is goign to work out.

And i also thought that my pictures could do with a little sprusing up so ive stlon a sheet form a nice setting back drop ^__^.

So im back to the work shop for another 3 hours before i head off to work >_<
    [​IMG]
    I think that looks alot better dont u :)

17. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

^rofl i thought it was great to... i was scrolling down and thought... lol another foot shot, but i noticed there was a shoe next to it? a third leg?

18. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Well 4 days after ordering my crystalfontz display, it arrived =D
    Id like too thank crystalfontz for the awsome customer service they provided during this transaction, the pack was well protected, lcd arrived in better then perfect condition and in super quick time. _b to you !

So anyway im still in the process of playing around with the display. which is fun :D

Iive made 1 of the 2 res's this morning and am now out of red acrylic so is my supplier >_<.
    so ill have to wait for the new shipment next week, before i can do anything else that use's acrylic :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the new power button ill be using ~
    [​IMG]

Now i just need to order my new hardware and water cooling:

bfg 7800gtx ( maybe 2 depending on budget )
    2 x 200gig s-ata seagate's
    nv78 blocks
    copper tdx block
    x-flo3
    x-flo2

my 2nd dangerden mag pump should get here today, thanks too a good mate jungle :)

well more tonight hopfully ^_^

19. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

hey guys !

sorry about the lack of updates over the last week, ive been sick as a dog and had not the chance to get to work, leta lone mod.
    But i shall commence the maddness this saturday ;D.
    My 2nd mag pump arrived and Im still waiting to hear back from my sponser in regards to my bfg7800gtx's and my new sticks of redline.

Ive completly given up on the thrustmaster screens, i just cant get the pricks to work >.<, so im waiting on an auction on ebay to finish on a REAL sony screen which i cant freaking wait for .

so heres a picture of the pumps, just to say at least ive posted something
    [​IMG]
    and heres the uber sexy PiMp rads
    [​IMG]
    so unitll im better c u guys then :)

20. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

now ive been hit really bad with food poisoning this last week so i havnt had the chance too get down to the workshop to get anything done, and today has been the only day were ive been able to move more then a foot.
    So down to the work shop it was for a little bit of modding ~

Now i wanted to get the lcd display fitted and thats what i set off to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    drilled in the corners for nice round edges
    [​IMG]
    proto-type looks all good
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then it was onto gettign a larger hole cut were the orignial dot matrix was goign to sit
    [​IMG]
    and mounted in place via the rubber grommets that came with the display, but 1/2 the size now
    [​IMG]
    a few quick test fits to make sure itll align ok
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and off comes the covers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and display seems still to be working all good ;)
    [​IMG]
    well im off to pas out again, untill i can move again ~