1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Libraries should only lend ebooks '26 times'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Mar 2011.

1. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Or you could read an eBook by candlelight on a Kindle or similar device, so what's the difference? Unles you plan on being somewhere where the electricity goes out for a month at a time and you can't charge it, in which case you may have bigger problems than reading a book. You'll probably have run out of candles, for starters.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I agree with getting rid of publishers as they exist now.

Perhaps they could be replaced with editing houses which work on a fee-for-service or commission basis. Perhaps book reviewers will find a new role.

Either way, the current system is unsustainable and a better one is needed.

3. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Likewise the reason their products are popular, who cares that you buying as long as the tv told you it was cool. On that note perhaps the real issue is to make the tv say smart things are cool...

No the books are burned in the sun to ensure they are not pirated somehow by preforming majic hacks on the ashes.

As for the comments referring to real books, I actually never really understood the appeal of e-books. As much as I am into computers and technology I much prefer to do extended reading on physical mediums like books and magazines. It is not even just the simplicity of the book either there is just a different experience that you get from the physical interaction that can not be replicated.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

The only steps that differ in producing ebooks from paperbacks would be printing and distribution, that still leaves about 14 steps of the the 17 listed here by Charles stross, printing and distribution are actually a tiny amount of the total cost of a book, less than the 20% VAT currently imposed on ebooks, so they will be more expensive currently. Want to change that? write to your MP and ask that ebooks are given the same VAT exemption as books.

1. I take it that if you believe all digital media should be free, you produce media yourself and that the media you produce you make available under a creative commons licence? or that you volunteer wherever you work, as obviously no one needs money in this day and age?
    2.I could point out that Authors get paid bugger all mostly. A 2004-2005 study showed Authors in the UK were earning a Mean annual income of £16,531 and a Median income of £4000. Taking just professional Authors this increases to Mean £28340 and Median £12330, this basically means that appart from the top 3-5% percent of authors like Rowling and Patterson who increase the Mean income, 50% of Authors earn less than £4000 a year from writing and you want them to earn less????????

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I get the appeal of a physical book and I love the smell of the pages as much as the next guy, but I think a lot of the opposition to e-readers and the yearning for the real book experience is rooted in some romantic idea of the good old days. The imagery that comes to mind after reading this thread is beautiful - the tactile sensation of the delicate paper in your hands as you settle down on a comfy couch and rest your eyes on the candle lit pages of that old book.

How many of you think nothing of looking at pictures on a computer, rather than buying a physical print? I can wax poetic about the feel of quality fiber paper, and the subtle tones and details of a print that are often lost in a digital picture, but I have no problem flipping through a gallery of photos on my iPhone. The same can be said for music. I know a few people who talk about the "feel" of a record, with all of its pops and hisses, as if that made the listening experience more real.

I think e-readers are the next (techno)logical step in media consumption, especially when you consider their place in academia. I know for certain I would rather have spent less money on digital versions of college textbooks, and when I was in high school I wouldn't have had to worry about lugging around a pile of heavy books.

6. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

Judging by many of the comments in this thread, it seems that I've been going about this reading malarkey all wrong. It seems that what I should do with a book is fondle the pages and jam my nose into the spine to give it a damn good sniff.

I've read books from Tolkein to Tolstoy in both digital and dead-tree format; there is no difference between an ebook and a dead tree. What stands out is what the author has actually written: the story, the world they create, the language they use etc... What I remember about a book is what was actually written, not whether I happened to be lovingly fondling pages or pushing buttons to turn the page.

I'm not saying we should abandon print media. All I'm saying is that all these romanticised notions about the "physical experience of reading a book" are nonsense. If that's more important to you than what's actually written, then you are most certainly doing it wrong (and possibly have some kind of weird paper fetish).

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have a lot of candles.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If I run out of candles I'll just download the flashlight app for my iPhone! :lol:

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Do they do a *slap* app yet? :lol:

10. henrique_flory

henrique_flory What's a Dremel?

As a publisher, writer and reader, I think it would be fair and interesting and much better to establish a "transfer cost", to be payed by the recipient, to any e-book borrowed, sold, rented, donated, etc. It's a good bet to put this price as 1/25 of the full price of the original e-book, but it would be a publisher's decision.

In this proposal an e-book would have two numbers: the original price and the transfer price, to be paid to the original vendor (amazon, for instance), the publisher (Harper, for instance) and, most important, the author.
    So authors would have access to a new flow of money, making more interesting for everyone to write. Publishers would have more money to keep their work and vendors would help books flowing trough cyberspace, not seeing this as a threat any more

Tags: Add Tags