1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Light switch

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Exomoto, 25 Sep 2004.

1. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

I'm sure this has probably been asked but i tried searching the forums and couldnt find a topic on it.

I was planning on adding a cold cathode to my case, as well as a couple of led fans and some other bits, but at night it'll be lighting my room up and keeping me awake, so I'd like to add an on/off switch. I was thinking about adding it into a 5.25 drive bay (covered by a door) or a spare pci port at the back.

My question is, where would I find a switch, how would a rig it up, and is it something a beginner can do? I was thinking i could just plug power into one side, then add some splitters on the other side (depending on how many lights i have) and make enough branches to power each light, would this be ok? I'm a total beginner so I dont wanna assume it's easy and screw it up

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's no big deal, a 5A SPST toggle switch in a spare molex 12V (yellow) wire should handle all that, then branch off from the molex end to the various end-users. Get a switch with fast-on connectors and you won't even need to solder.

Moving to Electronics so someone can show you how to do it with a PIC. :D

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

I would employ the picTT series (or temporal technology) these have built in hardware temporal prediction unit, so it would know u wanted to turn it off just before you actually went to press the button. These are mapped throu the file registers

but seriously.

if you just look for a SINGLE POLE switch (has like 2 contacts on the bottom) that has a high enough current raiting (in AMPS) then your sorted.

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

yeah the way i did mine was on an akasa ccfl 12" from a modding kit which had lights and stuff... (ah my first mod) anyway the inverter that came with it had 2 wires 1 black and 1 yellow these connect to a molex connector so what i did was cut the yellow cable and connected one of the cut ends to the switch and the other one was connected to the other pole of the switch one simple soldering job later... and it worked a treat! im just looking for the switchs i used i got them from maplin... damn cant find them oh well they do a good range of switches check them out. Happy moddin'

Here they are! search for this code on the maplin site FF96E mine were silver so they go nicely with my lian-li case :thumb: