1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light vs Dark

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by :: kna ::, 2 May 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Just so people are aware, I'm not 100% happy with the dark version, however it was put up as it stands so it's an alternative option to the light.

The light version will remain as it is, however the dark is offered for those who have trouble reading against light backgrounds.

I will likely be making changes to this as we progress to something which better suits people who want a darker choice.

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

kna, you just made it waaaaaaaaaaaaay too dark. can we have the text a lighter colour other then a light grey? makes it a bit hard to read light grey on dark grey... as in when looking at post titles and such.

::EDIT:: and now you've fixed it. looks very good now, mate. :D

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

dark for me.

Its alot better as dark.

4. :: kna ::

Think we'll settle on the grey, seems to work well.

5. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

would it be possible to have a blank template that allowed users to pick their own colours? it'd probably be hell on bandwidth tho.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I like the light side of the force. The dark side look kinda like my white tshirts when I was in college. :hehe:

7. Burned_Alive

Burned_Alive What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Where are you getting pure white? On the dark setting I'm getting a nice grey. and on the light, a very light shade of blue.

9. Burned_Alive

Look "behind" and inbetween the grey boxes

10. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

burned, but the white backgrounds fits in with the website layout. in all honesty, they could make us just use the light skin and not give any alternatives. i think it works out quite nicely tho.

11. Burned_Alive

Well maybe its just me but i dont like the white at all, and they couldnt "make us just use the light skin and not give any alternatives" i simply wouldnt use the forum if that was the stance, i really cant stand it at the moment. Maybe thats just me though.

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

yeah, but most forums don't even give you the option to use another theme or skin. look at hardocp's forums. they're ugly and yet they're popular.

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Reading typed words on a white or near white background strains the eyes.

It is much easier on the eyes if you read something say yellow/red on a black background.

That maddox guy on xmission explained why his whole site is black with grey typed text.

14. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

the white is really glaring at me too, but its alot more palatable when i browse from my crt or my laptop instead of my tft.

i also find the seperate colour used for the advert bar on the right rather distracting and finds it draws my eyes in that direction when im trying to read posts. but i guess that is why it is there :blah:

15. Burned_Alive

Most forums im on have many options, most more than 10, some over 20. Looking at hardocp, sure it might not be that attractive but its certainly easy to read and not hard on the eyes, much like the old bit-tech.

16. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I'm I the only one who can't choose dark? I selected it, but it maked no difference. :confused:

_C

[edit]Scrap that, I got it now. Looks better than the light, but still rather gay compared to the old site.[/edit]

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Much prefer the dark over the light style.

Surprised there isn't a poll with this...

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

the dark version isnt very good imo. For a start it isnt very dark :) Just less light than the light version!

Bring back the old color stylee :p (oh and a :p smilie!)

19. :: kna ::

It's not really a poll situation. The light style is the default style and the one which new readers will see as it maintains the consistency of the website(Which you will be able to see visiting many other sites which use white/light as their colouring; Anandtech, THG or Hexus for example).

There really is nothing wrong with the light style, it is only a problem for people who have trouble reading against light colours.

If anything I'd be polling for which dark version people prefer, however it seems relatively clear from the feedback the current dark version is acceptable to the majority.

20. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

When you post a message using the dark theme, the "Click here to blah blah blah" that text needs making darker imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.