1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Like Father, Like Son

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Feb 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

If I do what I do today it's thanks to my brother who is 7 years older. I realized a few years ago that even when I was quite young (under 10) I was already interested in technology (and was already quite a gamer since I started at 4). He bought the first computer of the house back in 97 and I've been using one daily ever since 1999. It only took me a few months after I had my own computer (1999) before I would start replacing parts and fixing them. I learned the very basics with my brother but then proceeded to learn everything by myself, which was something to be proud of back then because internet was pretty basic

During my teenage years, personal issues resulted in me spending way too much time alone at home on my computer. I got good, real good. However after a while when you see everyone else around you succeeding in life you want to actually do something with yours so I tried to stop messing around and I got a diploma in network management. It's a good diploma and I will never be out of a job with it. I also wouldn't be studying IT engineering without this diploma

I wouldn't have this today if it weren't from my brother and my love for computers back then

2. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

My 13 year old brother and cousin both know more about computers than I did when I was 18. I think it's a generational thing, they grow up around it now, just like how at one point 'rocket science' was some mystical new thing that only the worlds smartest people did at NASA, and now it's on the A-level physics curriculum.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I only partially agree with this theory. A friend of mine say that future generations of gamers will be/are better than we are. I say that's crap and I'm still better than them and will remain so ! haha

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

my pops is a at&t retired unix programmer..

I grew up wanting to be a programmer just like him.. it's funny though I never learned unix and went strait from atari basic to some assembly.. he's lost in windows and hates it- I'm lost in unix

so I dunno if you entirely get whatever your parents do.. also he doesn't play games- I think he tried to play me one time when I was 10.. we used to play alot of chess together though up until high school.. then he couldn't beat me anymore, I learned all his splits and tricks and couldn't get a game going with him for the life of me after that.. learned alot from him though.. he took me fishing which I love and some hunting ;) can sit out there for hours on end

5. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

My Dad buys all the computer magazines in his house.
    He dabbles in web design, and other code too.
    He got me onto my first PC (Windows 3.1, 386?)
    Not to mention, customers frequently mention how young the people in computer shops are.

It's ok, we're supporting the older generation :)

6. jestyr8

jestyr8 What's a Dremel?

My step-dad was the major puter influence on me when I was younger. It all started when he brought home an Atari 400. But before that we had a Pong..the Sears version, an Atari 2600, an Itellivision, and a Vectrex. After the Artari 400 moved up to an 800 then a C-64 on to an Amiga 128. There was a 268 then a 386 on which we played the original X-Wing and others. He helped me build my first 486, an old AMD DX4-100 which I then OCed to a DX2-100 with an FSB jump to 50mhz. I have been a PC junkie ever sys and never looked back. Although he did kinda freak when I showed him my 6 21inch monitor setup..LOL

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

I'm nothing like either parent. Both are technophobes, neither like cars, and neither like games.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Um, actually that was a typo. Supposed to be 11PM. I don't party that hard usually. Right now I'm wearing a cardigan.

9. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Sorry, I can't help myself. Reading isn't a city ;)

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my father is a software algorithms writer, but he always said programming is too demanding once you enter a certain age, so he pushed me towards electronics.

well, now, im in UK's best electronics university, one of world's top 100 overall, and in around top 5 for electronics. thanks to him, learnt many things and experiences that hopefully will be useful to me later on in life.

but like father like son, i have now dived into high level synthesis, which are basically algorithms for automating C/Matlab to hardware..... so i will probably be heading to where he is: algorithm writer. (currently just a researcher)

(sorry, don't mean to gloat, but not many electronics university get instant IET membership on graduation, and are instant Chartered Engineers)

11. JasonCase24

JasonCase24 What's a Dremel?

My dad never been that computer addict, maybe because he simply rely on his secretary for any computer works? However, my dad brought our first PC upon the first launch of computer for home use. I think that's his greatest, there wasn't a time that we're not able to use computer since then.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  12. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

My Grandad (now passed) bought my family a sega megadrive, then a very early 486, then a playstation the moment the original GT came out. He watched my 3 siblings and my two cousins grow up with tech, and he knew it was right IMHO. My cousin is now a tech for Fujitsu, my brother is halfway thru a course in IT and i'm about to start my own IT company. I thank him so much for what he did for us!

However my dad's a n00b. My mum taught me a lot of what I know about pcs. We started messing with the 486, and then the pentium2 we got when they were brand new. Messing and fiddling taught me what I know. I knew how to install windows 95 about 3 weeks after it was released in NZ. w00t (i was 9 btw). i only hope my kids follow the path. My 15mo old son watches me play games and can't help but play typing and using the mouse on the other pc. My 1week old daughter already knows the sound of typing and it relaxes her it seems

13. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Hmmm. Interesting. There seems to be a lot of hand-me-down geekiness going on around here.... I've personally never met anyone over 30 who's even remotely interested in games and technology :( (discounting a fellow audiophile whom I'm training up :D)

14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Father runs a computer store and now I work there as a tech.
    Was working here on weekends, etc for longer than I can remember

15. mi1ez

mi1ez Minimodder

My dad once made a laptimer for our scalectrix set that consisted of a read relay activated by the cars' magnets, and a small program in Basic that counted down the race and timed your laps. I thought this was the bomb at the time and that got me into programming, and from there I moved into a more hardware interest.

16. mi1ez

mi1ez Minimodder

My dad also designs and builds his own audio amplifiers and CD player circuitry.

17. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

A year ago my 3yo twins, got to mash my PS2 joypads on lego star wars for five minutes when it was pulled out of the cupboard for a friends kid we were baby sitting.

A month ago they got a single go each on some wii based rock band drum action, which they really loved and were pretty good at at.

That's the entire limit of their gaming experience, they are little kids for Mario's sake, there'll be a time when I won't be able to get them off a damn pc / console / slate / smart phone / netbook / tablet / nettop but may that day be a long way away.

While they are happy dragging me out to splash in puddles and kick mud around gaming is not going to get a look in.

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Definitely nature for me. My whole family are technophobes.

19. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

My father started me programming in BASIC and working with LOTUS 123 back in the day. I have since surpassed his ability with technology but my ability was incubated by his.
    The same goes for cars. He tinkers with cars (rebuilding a '69 Mustang GT as a mid-life crisis) and I definitely love to play with my Evo.
    Personally I believe that our parent's have a huge input on what we do later in life as they are the first influences on our thought processes. They teach us how to make decisions and deal with the world in general at a very early stage in our development. The synaptic pathways that are built then are only reinforced as we grow older.

20. equinox

equinox What is mod?

My dad was in the Royal Navy and did a lot to push the computerisation of his workplace, and my mum worked for IBM for >25 years so, whilst I don't really remember a time without some kind of computer in the house, my parents always regarded them as purely business machines (to be fair they were company computers).

We got our first family PC when I was 9, after I started playing FIFA 97, Theme Hospital and the original C&C I didn't look back, but couldn't get ANY of my family members to join in, ever, on consoles or PC.

Going to an all-boys boarding school certainly encouraged it, weekly Saturday night LAN parties were fab.

My niece is going to be different, I think, my brother in law is even more of a techie and a gamer than I am, she already loves playing on the CBeebies website

Tags: Add Tags