1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Like it?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sloth, 30 Nov 2006.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Never modded or made a case before but here is my design, and I'd like your guys' professional help on what materials to use, what thickness of materials, and general help :)

Firstly, here's a non-to scale drawing of my components assuming I had a watercooling setup:

[​IMG]

With that said, for the four supporting bars should I just use aluminum? Their thick enough that they'd hold I think.. and on the blue acrylic how thick? Lastly, the metal top and bottom panels steel or aluminum (I might put the PSU on top by the way) or how thick? Thanks in advance!

2. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

Looks good, aluminum is good to work with an light, easy to drill, tap and machine. The acrylic should be at least 5mm thick to give it some strength and stop it cracking whn drilled.

Jimbo

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Thanks for the advice, would Home Depot (or generic hardware store) carry aluminum/5mm acrylic? Once I get the piece it's all just simple cuts

4. CrazyModder

CrazyModder What's a Dremel?

Yes and lowes too.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Sweet, got both of them nearby. Also made some case revisions and drew it to scale. The holes are where fans would be, the black box is the PSU, the HDD is on the very bottom, DVD in the middle of the lower section, and the thin thing below the DVD is a PCI card. Above though is the reservoir in green and the pump, one can assume that either/both of the holes will have a fan/radiator. I like this one better, since it's a total of 12" square base and about 19" tall and is modular like the "Extreme Lian Li" case featured here on bit-tech. .25" acrylic separates the two sections and will be lighted.

[​IMG]

6. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

5mm blue acrylic and 3 mm aluminum. Use extruded 2mm thick wall square tubing for the supports.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

3mm alu? I'll have to hit-up the local metalshop then, lol... and make that 5mm 2-way mirror acrylic, so long as it's cheap enough from AC Ryan ;)

But thanks for the thickness advice.. I have no idea what it takes to hold this thing up as far as measurements

8. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Large plates like the bottom and top require quite thick material. Pre made cases have extruded parts and are much stronger than sheets so I recommend rather thick material.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Materials all selected, found out the mirrored acrylic only ships in 300x400mm, so shortening by 2 inches saves me from having to buy 6 panels, now it's only 4... I was rummaging through an old AT case and found a great 3.5 bay and HDD bay that I will now have hanging from the 5.25 bay. The new bays will hold a fan controller and HDD. Also the 93mm holes on the bay I found could hold a 92mm fan so I've changed the front design. Also, I realized that an ATX mobo in that position has the expansion slots on top, lol. My only worry now is that even though I'm going to WC, will hot air build up in the back next to the PSU (near the IO panel) or do you guys/gals think the 80mm fan on top of the PSU will suck the air out of there also? They wont be too strong of fans in the front since I want quiet... here's the latest, hopefully final design, if this turns out with no flaws I'll start to build (after I get a digital camera too)

[​IMG]

Pretend there is something holding up the DVD drive/fan controller (the floating blocks) , I forgot that, lol

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well since my purchase of supplies was delayed I've been redesigning and now have this new drawing. The two front fans on the left are only going to be one at first, the other is if I get need to expand and have another radiator. It will have clear/UV blue plexi since mirrored is expensive and held together with those cube things.. The pump and res are shown on the wall of the right side, the left is for mobo and components and such with cooling/power on the right. I like it far more, how 'bout you all since you're the ones who eventually get to see the project log so save from seeing me mess up, post crtiticism/comments/suggestions now!

[​IMG]
    New design

11. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

i still like the first one the most

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Do you mean the very first or the first one with the two sections? The first one I can probably draw to scale and make work, I guess I don't really need that divider.. it was morning when I drew that latest one, doh!

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Something like this I assume? I personally think it's a winner, unless someone wants to make a strong case as to why I'm a newb and need to redesign you can expect it to be in contruction just after Christmas :D

[​IMG]
    OMG teh final design

EDIT: OOps, imagine the expansion cards are on the top, no biggie so I'll just work with this picture

14. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

i meant the VERY first one. I like the way the colemns hold up the comp, much sturdier and looks nicer 2 im my opinion.

15. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

hey, looks good in sketch, but try to realised it. im waiting for this lol. hope xmas will come today.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I found the only aluminum bar supplier around where I live wanted $12 per 12" piece, and I'm on a tight budget. Also that was off scale, when putting into scale it was imporbable to have a square foot size.

And thanks kazama, hopefully performance-pcs.com will get the parts I need in stock by then too, lol