1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Limelight (nvidia gamestream)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tyepye, 4 Mar 2014.

1. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

So I have been wanting to play my PC games more recently but didn't want to be stuck in my study on my desktop. Would much prefer to play in front of the telly.

I briefly flirted with the idea of getting a laptop to game with but could never really justify/afford it.

I'd tried some other apps on my Android tablet like Kainy, which worked OK but there would be stutter and dropouts every now and again which made playing FPS difficult.

Then a few weeks ago I came across Limelight, which is an open source version of nvidia's gamestream for shield, which streams Steam big picture mode and I must say it has been brilliant.

It runs on PC and Android but more importantly for me you can run in on Raspberry Pi & Linux. Now hooked up to my Motorola Atrix lapdock I have a nice little gaming machine for when I am watching telly.

I must admit when I first tried it over wifi there was lag, I only have a basic Sky router, apparently works best over 5Ghz Wireless N Routers. But when I connected up one of my powerline network adapters streaming has been seamless, and if there is lag I haven't seen it yet.

It even works when adding non-steam games (I played Mass Effect 3) quite comfortably.

All the info is in the XDA link. Anyone else been using it at all?