1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lincolnshire boy arrested over WiFi theft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Oct 2008.

1. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Member

I would think if my neighbors name came up in my wifi I would:

1) Secure my wifi
    2) Talk to my neighbor

2. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman New Member

I can see the point about saying it's illegal (misappropriation crime etc) therefore the police should pursue it if they're given a lead, however I just think that if you're not smart enough to protect your own home network then really you've nothing to complain about. In my opinion it's like leaving your doors unlocked, of course someone might come in and have a gander but come on, it's not hard to lock your door is it?

I'd also be concerned if the police started proactively pursuing this type of crime since it's pretty low down on everybody's priorities.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

wether its encrypted or not, theft is theft, there are several bits of law that could have been used to prosecute the individual concerned

Theft of broadband services, wirless and telegraphy act, and computer misuse act.

I always setup encryption to the highest possible on my customers networks (equipment depending)

if people use this equipment they should read the manuals (even if on disk) this explains how to set it up, if they arent competant then they should pay someone to setup for them.

but just because a neighbour hasnt set up the encryption, doesnt mean you have a right to use it.

if i leave my door unlocked, does it give you the right to just walk in and take what you want without permission, no it doesn't

it has been known for peeps to intend to lockup but actually forget to do it, as they may have been distracted by something else

Tags: Add Tags