1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LinkedIn valued at nearly $9billion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Another example of the ridiculous "web 2.0" bubble, its going to burst soon, mark my words :)

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Looking at the pictures on the TV yesterday at all the moronic dealers 'whooping and cheering' at the share price rising, you really got a sense of deja vu.

..people will just go on making the same mistakes as before...:(, all it takes is time to pass and memories to fade, and the greed to kick in once more, and the crash to come.

Depressing really....

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Agree with bursting-bubble coming. Just hope pension funds keep their snouts out.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

What a complete joke this is... They made less than $20m last year and are slated for a loss... Where on earth do they think revenue that justifies a $9bn valuation comes from?

Idiots.

6. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I assume you mean 'trippled'? .. unless this is some other Britishism that I'm unaware of ^_^

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Trebled is the correct word, in English. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trebled

Tripled (only one 'p') means the same thing.

8. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I assume you mean 'tripled'? Trebled is an equally valid expression - just look it up :p

LinkedIn is an oddball in that business/investor types are it's main user base, and as such they are the most likely to be over-enthusiastic. At the same time it is the investors themselves using the website that gives it its value!

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

linked in is actually a site that worked its way to fame, I dont remember it getting any real media attention when it was launched or made by some college student that made it popular around a university.

10. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a case of people desperate to get in on the success of facebook by buying into the first available alternative.

How often has the internet shown that a desperately fashionable site can die very quickly as soon as the next big (shiny) thing comes? What happened to blogging? Or Friends Reuinited? There was a time when both were the height of fashion. Now they are almost niche.

If you ask me the current social networking sites are very over-valued.

11. fodder

fodder Minimodder

LInkedin is a different animal to the usual 'social' network sites. Yes, it has a facebook-esque appearance and feel to it, but the users are not there to have a huge friends list for social reasons or to show your latest party antics to the world.

It's primary function is to network business and professional people together and provide a forum for the interchange of ideas and business. Linking to people on it is pretty well policed, you can't just link to anyone without showing an existing or previous connection.

You don't get all the business to public crap either. The only 'spam' you may get is from other businesses providing a service specific to your business or profession. It is rare and tbh not always unwelcome, in business ideas and options are always welcome.

12. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

short, at the end of Q4 :p

13. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Maybe has a high stock value due to it's freedom to operate in China. China right now is the best place to invest as it's growing super fast. So a business specific "kinda like Facebook" site sounds good.

in 5 years it will sink like the Titanic. I suggest the owner just sell it now and live happily ever after.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

A friend of mine is working there. I'm sure he's very happy!

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

People starting to cash-in apparently. 8.68% down. Over $320milion dropped off it's value.

Tags: Add Tags