1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks linking PC to Mac G4 + sharing Cable Modem....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReznorCathode, 31 Jan 2002.

1. ReznorCathode

ReznorCathode What's a Dremel?

Hey,
    just out of curiousity, since this may be useful one day, i was wondering how i could connect my PC to a Mac G4 so i can transfer files from one computer to the other (kinda like a server) and how i would share my cable connection between the two computers.

thanks
    R.C

2. BoilermakerFan

BoilermakerFan What's a Dremel?

Probably the easiest way is to buy a Linksys Cable Modem Router/Firewall. The are available with built in switches with 4 or 8 ports. The 4 port unit is about $130 US. The Linksys will also protect you PC and Mac since it's a firewall. I don't know enough about Macs, but you can set up your PC to share files pretty easily.

3. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

the internet sharing is an easy one. you just need to get the before mentioned router and hook them both up using ethernet. but file transfer between the 2, i dont know. you would have to be using the same protocols for file sharing, and both systems use different file formats i believe. im not sure, i dont know anything bout macs.

4. You can also opt for a cheaper alternative if your ends are a little short. Install another nic in the windows computer and download some mac/pc sharing software.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Thats a pretty good walkthough, talks about some of the free software you can use

Tags: