1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks linksys router question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ernie, 30 Jan 2004.

1. ernie

ernie What's a Dremel?

i just bought a linksys 4-port cable router (model #BEFSR41)

well i plugged a cat5e cable from my cable modem to the router than another cat5e cable from router to pc. (bascially wiring is all done correctly)

but when i try click on internet explorer or try using the internet in anyway error msg. and cannot find page shows up. does this have anything to do with the mac address or ip or anything.

please help me as i am completely at lost right now.

thanks

BTW i'm using windows ME if that helps

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

you might need to reboot your modem,
    then go into the setup of your router, probably by pointign internet explorer at 192.168.0.1.
    probably.

if you can, set it to act as a dhcp server. Then set your client pc's to obtain IP addresses automatically.

check the manual.

3. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Depending on the modem you are using, you may have to change some settings on that too. I have that same router with a Westell Wirespeed DSL modem. I had to log into the modem properties and change the modem to Bridged mode. Then in the router settings I had to make sure that it was using PPPoE. Put in my username and password and all was good. :thumb:

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Sounds like your cable modem is locked to a specific MAC address, hopefully your router will allow you to clone or spoof the MAC of your pc, there should be an option in the settings somewhere.
    Otherwise you'll have to contact your cable company and register the MAC address of your router with them.

5. Darv

Darv Bling!!

When I first used my Linksys router it didnt work. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and you may have to restart the router and modem when you're done.

6. chunky_monkey

chunky_monkey What's a Dremel?

As Krazeh said, you must clone the MAC address of the computer the broadband company set up a machine to access broadband, otherwise it won't work. Other than that it should be nice and simple, I love my Linksys BEFSR81 (8 port version) for that reason.

7. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

\

He shouldnt need to clone a MAC address at all. If that was the case replacing your NIC would be a pain in the ass. Follow the settings in your manual and set up the router to act as DHCP. Make sure you've got your modem plugged into the correct port on the router (WAN). Setup your system to use DHCP, but I'll bet its already that way as most ISP's work that way.

If all else fails, check with the ISP. They may need to reset a router on their end to accept your router. Thats the only way the MAC address will come into play. I know some Cisco routers have that built into them as a "security feature" but my ISP was replacing them because it was a major pain.

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Unless they have tied his cable modem to a specific MAC address, something that is common practice for UK cable suppliers, just because your supplier has removed them doesn't mean his has.

As you say it's always worth checking to see if the router is set to run as a DHCP server but that tends to be the default setting usually but i'd also definitely try seeing if you can clone the MAC addy. It should just be an option in the settings, always worth a try.

9. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Its not a standard usa practice that Ive seen though...Most cable installers think a mac address is the location of an automatic teller machine so...

If you cant get it with the suggestions above try calling linksys...They might be of some use...for once :p

10. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Actually Linksys tech support is top notch. At least, even if you're well out of warranty, they'll still help you out as best they can when you call at 2:30 Sunday morning. :thumb:

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

username admin
    password admin

This gets you into router setup, your ISP should be able to tell you what to do from there.

Go to the Advanced Tab then to the MAC Address Clone tab, if you need to chance the MAC address (Although I doubt the ISP would base their stuff off mac addresses, the're unchangable usually, so if you got a new PC or even a new NIC it would change and they'd have to change your settings)

12. -=Nemes1S=-

-=Nemes1S=- What's a Dremel?

With my cable company I have to enter the mac address of the NIC or Router that my modem connects to with them on a selfcare website. Then I have to reboot my modem and hey presto - it all works again.

I can have 5 MAC addresses registered with them at any one time and so long as the hardware I am using has one of the registered addresses - all I have to do is reboot the modem and it works.

Might be worth checking your ISP's web site to see if you need to do that, or you could just clone your PC's MAC address.

Good luck!

Tags: