1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Linux has game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 9 Apr 2007.

1. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

i too have tried gaming in linux, and cedega does an admiral job at getting those stubborn windows programs working. but my problem lies in that alsa doesn't support my soundcard :( and oss never installs/configures properly for me in that it causes the xserver to stop working. So i am at a loss as i would love to use linux primarily (i loathe dual booting) but until there is support for my soundcard i probably won't be using linux anytime soon unfortunately. Unless of course someone whats to program a driver/module for it :)

2. krimson

krimson New Member

well, i think the overall goal of this article is to say "contrary to the myth, you can in fact run some windows games on linux"
    so, if you are like "i cant run linux because i play games" then you need to research your games, because your statement could be false..
    this isnt a "you have to switch to linux because..." article.. its simply a "hey, just in case you were interested"

i run two machines.. i run windows on my game machine, and i do just about everything else on my ubuntu machine... mostly because i dont want to dual boot, my linux machine is not a gaming-powerhouse, and i like having the ability to multi task between two computers.
    ive played with wine, and have had mixed success, but its something that takes a little effort to use...

3. Rexxie

Rexxie New Member

Neverwinter Nights actually has a proper Linux client, no need to run it through Wine.

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

agreed

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Thanks for in-lighting me bit-tech! I'm going to have a go at this, windows is seriously annoying me these days, and when I tried uBuntu a week months back it was a smooth as. I'd be willing to pay for Cedega if it makes BF2 work (well) but I need more feedback, is there any issues with lag or punk buster ? What kind of frame rate do people get?

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Exactly... Like I allready said, I don't want to force someone into using Linux. Linux of all things is about choice, first choice being actually to go the Linux path. I personally made that choice, and never regret it!

Well, for £3 you can't go very wrong, but not being a FPS lover myself, I dug this up for you:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3618
    http://downloads.transgaming.com/files/cedega-5.2-releasenotes.html#battlefield_2
    http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Battlefield_2

And even the free Wine does BF2, so try that first ;)
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3438

7. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I've known this for a while, ever since my freind pointed me to it, but it is still much more tedious, as it still involves someone hearing about a command before using it.

A comprehensive guide would solve that by listing the commands by order of necessity, and giving detailed info about them and the general behaviors of the CLI.

that way a new user can learn what he/she needs to learn first time without having to go trolling support wikis, and more experienced uers could turn to it to learn some new shortcuts and tricks they may not have previously known to exist.

Linux is all about suggesting/creating improvements, and these are my 2 cents. It just strikes me as an efficient solution to one of the niggling problems that makes those unfamiliar with linux cringe at the thought of using the CLI.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2007
  8. Emon

Emon New Member

Just because games are in the database does not make them playable with Cedega. To cite your examples, C&C3 is listed as 0/5 for playability and STALKER is currently unrated. They even list the publisher for FEAR as LucasArts! Not what I would call accurate information...

Until recent years, with the advent of distributions like Ubuntu, Linux has been a poor desktop platform and an even worse gaming platform. There's nothing wrong with it, but calling it a good gaming platform, claiming that 99% of games will run well on it (non-native), is just a lie.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

ill admit i havent tried cedega, as gaming on this antique rig is just a joke

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well I actually like that idea :) and if you give me some pointers, I could edit the "What is this Linux thing" thread?

It currently holds:
    PM me with what you'd like to change/added... :D

11. Bluephoenix

I don't really have anything to add at the moment, but then I've only been using Linux in dual-boot for about 9 months; and am still learning a lot about it every day.

Though I'm sure some of those people with far more knowledge than I have of the OS could make the idea very useful.

12. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I love the article!
    Especially considering that on my next box, I'm staying away from windows.
    I don't feel inclined to purchase a bloated copy of vista (or at least until SP1 is realeased.) Or a new copy of XP Pro.

I do want to point out one little inaccuracy in the very last sentence, on the first page of the article.

Wine is NOT an emulator. See here.
    It's more of an API that windows applications can talk to. To draw those "OK" buttons and error dialogs, rather than having the programmer draw everything from scratch.

Cheers on the great article. This should make more people realize that linux is becoming an excellent desktop replacement.

EDIT: uh oh... I just noticed the word "(mis)called" just before emulators... Maybe I should learn to read before I post. :duh:

13. Gushy

Gushy New Member

It should be noted that all of Introversion's games run under linux natively, not just Uplink (Defcon for linux to be released shortly ....), and all 3 of their games are well worth the meager amount they charge.

Another good looking game I found out about yesterday (haven't tried the demo yet) is Beyond the Red Line, a game set in the Battlestar Galactica universe (the new one, not the old one); it's based on the Freespace2 engine and they have demos up for Linux, Mac and Windows.

14. Greenie

Greenie New Member

i disagree with that to an extent, its only hard to use for people because they are used to windows and that change is hard for people. Most of the time, i see that people use my linux PC, then say its "rubbish" just because something doesnt work in the same way that it does on windows.

I do agree that some driver support is flaky (some wireless chipsets, newer hardware released without enough hardware specifications and "black box" graphics drivers, although they are getting better). The driver support is like that because some hardware manufacturers ignore linux and just write windows drivers, this means linux developers have to reverse engineer and figure out how to get the hardware to work.

On the server side, a lot of stuff runs linux all around the world and a lot of server hardware has very good driver support, its just that it lags behind on the desktop because of the large amount of hardware and peripherals from all the manufacturers. In my opinion, its amazing that the driver support is as good as it is, it's due to the persistance of the comunity and a few companies that see benefit in helping linux, whatever their motives are.

Driver support is a lot better, even compared to a couple of years ago, but its a bit of a mission to convince hardware developers to support other platforms on the basis that they might sell more units.

I use Kubuntu on my laptop at home, it serves me very well and i do play a couple of games on it through wine (Pharaoh and Theme Hospital). I know they arent modern games, but its all the laptop can handle :)

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

ugh, just did an XP install on a system. That plus the driver etc install felt like it took forever. Putting Mepis Linux on the same system was fast and easy and everything "just worked".

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The thing which I've discovered about Linux is that the developers code stuff which works for them, then fix bugs as an afterthought.

For instance, my Linksys WPC11 v3 PCMCIA card is detected perfectly and the drivers load fine, the flashing lights indicate it's not connected. So I use the inbuilt Prism2 tool on DSL and it decides that rather then connect to my AP which I specified it will try and connect to every other AP except mine. And the most annoying part? The error message is useless: "connection failed" How the hell does that help anyone?

So I try to use the iwconfig tool, for some reason it won't set to channel one, I can't set the frequency. It just says "not supported".

So yes, Linux is fine provided you don't experience any difficulties, but as soon as you get a difficulty, you're stuffed.

17. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

tried the ubuntu live cd and it said xserver failed or something then left me at the command line. :/

18. Bluephoenix

Another thing most people don't realize is that linux has built-in support for clustering, while windows is very difficult to cluster.

here is a prime example: 10.5GHz @ 220W

Tags: Add Tags