1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux is a Genuine Windows? turns out it is.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Zidane, 6 Aug 2005.

1. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

im on, and its sent :)

@cheapmodwannabe, ive answered your criticism in the other thread you cross-posted to. <insert sniggering here>

2. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

And it's hosted, but thanks for the kind offer.

3. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

But as wine pretends to be windows 98 it uses the same method to id itself. If you tired to authenticate it when its pretending to be XP then I would be more interested. However it has already been shown that the Windows Advantage has been worked around already.

4. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

true, there are many existing work-arounds, but this is not an attempt at finding a work-around. this will not work with windowsupdates, for example, because windowsupdates *requires* IE and ActiveX, neither of which i have.

as far as i know, the current set of workarounds involve setting the cookie manually, or disabling the activex checker, im not an expert on these workarounds, this is the first time ive ever actually done a wga check. this process doesnt disable the exe or set the cookie, it runs the exe and reports itself as a genuine copy of windows.

its not the fact that its a workaround thats interesting, its the fact that even though i dont have any windows code on my system, im still verified as running an authentic copy.

5. frak!

frak! What's a Dremel?

Wine and Windows

This is just my 2c, and based on experiences with Wine a few years ago...

Doesn't Wine need to be pointed at a set of windows system DLLs in order to work, and if that is the case then maybe "finding windows" on your system might be a bit easier than you think...

6. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

I dont see the point of this.
    You running Genuine copy of Windows XP on Wine an EMULATOR. Ofcourse you can download updates!
    It's just like how I can download updates by installing a genuine copy in VMWARE. So what's new about this? Microsoft knows this too and they will give out the updates aslong as the OS is genuine.

7. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

no, wine will run windows software without any windows components. this machine is pure linux, no windows components at all. iirc, you could link windows dll's to wine, but you didnt actually *need* to.

8. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

the point being, your wrong. wine is not an emulator, im not running vmware, nor am i running a copy of XP in an emulator. wine does not need, nor use, *ANY* MS or windows code at all. this box is pure linux, i installed linux and wine, and it does not have windows on it. wine allows windows software to run on linux without having windows installed.

my linux and wine is not a genuine copy of windows, i dont have windows, i dont have windows installed.

[edit]
    yes, i know, im labouring the point here, but this is like the 40th time i have heard this today. i really wish people would learn what wine is before making posts.
    [/edit]

Last edited: 9 Aug 2005
  9. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

What distribution of Linux was it Zidane?

10. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

currently im using Mandrake 10 (the last version released before it switched to mandriva), and the latest release of wine (not the oooold one that mandrake can install, the latest version from winehq). im currently building a linuxfromscratch hand-compiled distro, but just havent had the time to finish it yet. im assuming it would work on any distro.

11. pcjabber

pcjabber What's a Dremel?

Very cool. Wine is open source, right? Might have to take a look at the code to see what they're doing right... :hehe:

Anyway, good job, WineHQ (and all the others that maintain Wine), and good job, Microsoft.

[A little off-topic, but...]
    Really? What do you mean by "turn off validation?" Not that I need it to get updates on my machine, because I have a fully genuine copy of Windows... :worried: ;)

12. quack

quack Minimodder

Exactly... I don't think John Cena realises that the name is a recursive acronym. WINE = WINE Is Not An Emulator. :duh:

13. mifa

mifa What's a Dremel?

also works on ubuntu

On Ubuntu it works to.
    I found it out this morning, and went searching for it if anyone else had already discoverd it.
    Now i can download stuff for my dualboot win xp

Mifa

14. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

if i was to jump in to the world of linux.. would someone help me??

15. kiwik

kiwik What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of jumping to linux as soon as my new SATA HDD arrives, i'm tired of my old 20gigs Maxtor..

16. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

this may be off topic for which I apologise but whats /. mean ?

17. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Holy thread revival!!!

It refers to SLASHDOT.COM ;)

18. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

seriously though... thread from 2005? damn

and it's slashdotted....

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

/. is a Linux thing for all the zealots to know

and wannabees like me to only try to understand.. but give up and wish everything could be installed as an rpm with yum.. woot fedora

20. ajack

ajack rox

Slashdot doesn't have anything specifically to do with linux, it's just news.