1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Doesn't work for desktop apps, as I found out yesterday.

All it does it close the desktop and take you back to the start screen. If you then click on desktop again, the program is still there, in fullscreen if you were stupid enough to turn it on, :D

Also, the keyboard won't auto open when you enter a text box on desktop apps either, which seems like a HUGE oversight to me.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that struck me as odd; I guess they don't expect you to be spending a lot of time at the Desktop if you're on a tablet with no keyboard or mouse.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ah, ok. I'd still jump at one for £80 though, even now I have my 7.

I think so. OK perhaps not.

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

In case people didn't see my post in the Hardware Bargains thread, the 8" Linx is on Amazon Lightning deal @ 12pm (i.e. in 5 minutes time!)

5. David

£79.99 - boo!

The office staff were all waiting for that one, after they saw my Linx 7. We were rather hoping for a similar price, given the epic Staples deals.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
  6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've got a USB thing that monitors the charging current and voltage so I'll see what the power adapter supplies when mine arrives.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Ebay although it's the Linx 7 rather than 8 model.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

My linx7 (arrived broken) in on it's way back to the laptop direct people. Waiting 24hrs for the eBay return to be processed and gave up.

I phoned them, got through quickly and a replacement has been arranged. I'm sure it'll be at least a week+ before I see the new one and hopefully this may be packed in more than a thin plastic bag.

Good to hear people are getting on okay with their linx7s.

Not sure what I'll be doing with mine. For a giggle I might install visual studio & unity but I know they're not going to run happily but you never know...

Maybe it'll end up as a MAME machine.

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Devastated missed the 10", it was in stock, hit ordered, went over the next couple of steps and BOOM, no stock :(

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Well this isn't the best first impression for Windows 8 (although I knew I hated it anyway).

Tried to restart the tablet, see if that sorted the store not opening, and now it's stuck on the "Restarting" screen, with the little circle spinning round and round.

Luckily hard reset sorted it out. And now, wooo, store is working again.

Does anyone know if I can copy the Solitaire or any of the other included windows games exe from Windows 7 and put it on the tablet?

11. David

Back on at £59.99! Nice one.

Have you posted it in the bargains thread?

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'd imagine it works like it does on a desktop with a mouse, you can close the 'Desktop' app, but nothing running on it. Though if something is in front of the desktop, like steam, then you can't do it with a mouse. You just move steam, I assume it's the same on the tablet.

Also left charm and drag the apps to the bottom of the screen should close them.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no need they are more or less available here

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

just been naughty and ordered 2 :-S ,probably get told off by the wife now

15. David

Didn't know that holding the windows button and pressing vol up activates the narrator function.

16. David

Those of you still after the Linx 10, check your local store. They still have them at £79.99 - I'm picking one up on the way home.

17. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Just called the local store, you have to get money back by trading in so the LINX 10 is £79.99 +£50 (£129.99) and then you get £50 back upon trading in the old tablet.

Shame really as that was going to be ideal..

18. David

No that's not right. I just paid 79.99 and could have had it for £30 if I had a trade in.

[​IMG]

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think the comments for that when I looked at it on the store said it was crammed full of video adverts.
    Downloaded a few other free ones off the store instead anyway, atleast they run in the Metro UI rather than going back to desktop which I would image is what would happen if I copied the one of windows 7.

20. David

Good news and bad news -

The good news: the Linx 10 is excellent - even better than the 7, which is saying quite a lot IMO. It managed well over 11,000 in 3dmark icestorm, before I had finished downloading and applying updates, and ~ 500ms in sunspider.

The bad news: The missus has declared that it is my xmas present and has confiscated it until Thursday. Booo!

[edit] Icestorm on the Linx7 scored 9641 versus 11,180 on the Linx10. Sunspider score was only marginally slower than the 10 too at ~560ms.