1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I think it charges through the micro USB port, it has micro USB and mini HDMI i think.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can't speak to the 8 or 10, but the 7 charges through the micro-USB port using a standard micro-USB cable. There's also an adapter in the box to convert the micro-USB port to full-size USB A for On-The-Go (OTG) mode, i.e. using any standard USB peripheral with the tablet.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The 10 charges through the micro-USB port too

Last edited: 21 Dec 2014
  4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Staples look to have finally twigged onto their pricing error as the 8 and 10 have gone from the website completely now, only the 7 left on there at £89.99, :D

I think Dad was starting to contemplate getting a 10 for the stupidly low price they were, :D

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I was reading the 10 manual and the image shows it has a small power socket. It doesn't show that in the 7 and 8 manuals. It does say in all the manuals that 'Your tablet does not support USB charging' which is confusing.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's just bad phrasing (they shoulda hired me!): it means that you can't charge it from a computer's USB port, 'cos 500mA at 5V ain't grunty enough. Same as most other tablets, really: they typically need 1A or higher to charge.

7. Big Elf

Ah, thank you. That not only explains why my Galaxy Tab S doesn't charge from a USB port but also why the Hudl 2 doesn't charge from the standard charger if the screen is on.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Still at the low prices in store (e.g. the 7 is £50 or £20 after trade in :D), although stock seems to be non-existent.

9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I have a spare ;)

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

mine wont :( tried 0.5, 1 and 2A its not taking any of them is it a BIOS option you need to enable?

great news, got time and date tile working from the app store once I realised what I had done wrong with them they both work well now.

An yes its a festive wallpaper but meh its nearly Christmas

[​IMG]

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Anybody found a decent case for one?

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Got mine mounted on a shelf to the right of my main monitor. Arsenal Liverpool game on one screen, Mechwarrior on the other! Man bliss!

[​IMG]

13. David

Nope, you're quite right, it won't. I had missus' 7 on charge while I was trying out the 10. I haven't charged the 10 yet. Got a bit confoozed!

14. legoman

Ahhh no worries, I do need to sit down an see about fashioning a mini dock/pile of cables on the desk for this. im actually really enjoying using it. OK the keyboard sucks terribly but it works.

15. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Really sad I missed this. Cannot get one anywhere now for the low price. Any one know of anywhere I could get a 10"?

16. legoman

I know Argos are doing it as are Amazon. I had a load of Argos vouchers through work which I used. Wouldn't be surprised if some offer comes up in the new year sales though

17. Big Elf

Your best bet is try try a local Staples store as they may still have stock at the offer price.

18. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Tried all sold out. :(

19. Gareth Halfacree

I fear my approach to Windows 8.1 misses its point entirely: I only have three tiles, and I only use one (to take me to Desktop mode)!
    I found a Tuff-Luv Armorprene case (a neoprene case with bubble-wrap-style bubbles inside) on eBay cheap. It's for an iPad Mini, really, but the Linx 7 fits in - albeit loosely. The Linx 8 would likely be a better fit.

20. David

This is my approach on my main PC, and I find I carry the same habits across to the Linx. It's going to take me a while to embrace Windows touch functionality on the tablet.