1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Liquid epoxy or super glue?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Emon, 9 Aug 2004.

1. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know of an epoxy or super glue which is a liquid? It would have to be about syrup-thick, thin enough to say, flow between microfins on a heatsink for example. It also must bond very well to metal, not break down with age or be affected by water/moisture. Epoxy seems just about perfect, but I have no idea if a liquid version exists, or of any way to liquify it during cure time without significantly weakening the bond. There are polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue, but most people say they don't bond well to metal, and foam up, which is not what I want, as I am not wood working.

Any ideas here? The only one I had was using a hard super glue that worked on solvent evaporation, then mixing some of the glue with the solvent to thin it up. With ample drying time, it should harden to the same rock solid state with the same bond strength (or close enough) as if it was plain, thick super glue.

2. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Almost all epoxies are liquid 2-part. You should go to a hardware store. They bond to metal very well.

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Those aren't liquid, they're pastes. But the proper Google query got me results. "Low viscosity epoxy" not "liquid epoxy". :duh:

4. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

paste?

epoxy can glue anything together, it should work for almost everything you need.

5. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

...I realize that. If you read my post, you'd know I need to be liquid so that it gets into small cracks and crevices. Every epoxy I've used is thick and doesn't even sag that much, let alone flow into cracks the size of microfins on a heatsink.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Google " casting epoxy resin ", should give you some sources for the low-viscosity mixes. IIRC some of the stuff used for moulding fibre-glass things is paintable.

7. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Thanks cpemma, that's quite helpful.

8. chalk_mark

chalk_mark What's a Dremel?

devcon www.devcon.com

They make adhesives that will join anything. not sure where you could get it in your area, but do what I have done... ask nice for an engineering sample. :D

At work we have used some of their stuff to mount those little reflectors you see on the highway pavement. wicked glue.

9. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Try a model shop - they have Cyno. It's like an ultra-strong supergule. Essentially it's as strong as epoxy (at the right mixture!) and as runny as supergule.

As an added bonus it comes in either thin (super runny) medium (medium runny) and thick (ok, so I won't teach you to suck eggs :D ).

Used mainly on radio controlled planes see.

10. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

I use 5 minute epoxy. the stuff that has 2 sides and you squeeze them out and mixe them. That will stick to metal and such and I have used it on ataching plastic to metal such as in my dice thumbscrew mod. Also it not to thick right away that you can drip it where you want.

11. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

wharrad, do you mean Cyano? I did a little Googling and that seems it may good.

I found epoxy casting resin at a local craft store today, but all they had were huge bottles that were no less than $10, and I need a much smaller amount. I'll check some more model/craft stores or maybe just get some online. I'm not sure about the adhesive strength of those, however, because people usually use it for making small things like plastic knobs or whatever, not as an actual glue. I can still get low viscosity epoxy online at least, and automotive stores may have it.

12. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

I use small things such as toothpicks and even cardboard to push epoxy into those small crevices. What application are you using it in? Epoxy will seal small cracks and crevices...

13. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I won't be able to push it in with a toothpick, trust me. It must be at least syrup thin to flow into the cracks on its own.

But as I said, I have found what I'm looking for, thanks though.

14. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Yeah cyano - that's the stuff.

Ah, we all make the odd spelling mistake :blah: