1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Liquified Skeleton

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-Dubs, 11 Aug 2010.

1. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Just had a system given to me by a mate to look at, I was an older one of mine which he bought off me about a year ago and has all of a sudden stopped booting. Just gives off one long beeeeeeeeeeeep. small gap then Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Figure its mobo or psu but i'm something of a newb when it comes to problem solving.

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

What board is it? and I presume that's the noise made by the system speaker?

3. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand What does this button do?

Those beeps are actually a diagnistic feature of the motherboard. it has different beep patterns and lengths for different errors. Grab the model number off the motherboard and wack it into google/ the manufacturers web site and you should be able to get a fault list...

Good luck puting it all together G-Dubs! Love the work!
    just waiting fo finish uni for the year so i can start my own build.....

4. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Its an asus P5N-T deluxe v2

have to say i haven't found the asus website very useful

5. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

great work! man!

6. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your kind compliment Leandro

I've taken the arch section off of the Skelly in order to prepare for the installation of the CPU block and to enable me to access some of the other fans in the system to braid them and link to the new fan controller.

It just happens to be exactly a year since I finished the original Skeleton build so what does a year of dust look like on this case??? I deliberately haven't gone near it with anything to remove dust before now, wanting to see what the build up would be, bearing in mind that we've had builders in for 3 months knocking walls down and plastering and sawing and drilling and the like

So what does it look like.... Pretty much the same as any case really.

The PCB is pretty good, as is the GPU as they are directly under the big top fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dust has gathered in "dead areas " as it would in any case, but was particularly bad behind the RAM cooler fans and the HDD fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately I've found this great stuff that is excellent for getting rid of dust, It molds into all the nooks and crannies, doesn't leave a residue and does not generate static. You just dab it on and it picks up the dust, fold it over and dab it on again and repeat etc. it also feels really disgusting, but in a Goooood way!!!! The feel reminds me a bit of silly putty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RAM de dusted 9the white you can see is from the flash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All is fine, de dusted and working well.

Please excuse the wall paper. I took this picture while my wife was logged in to her desktop, so it's showing her wall paper. I'll have a word with her and make sure it doesn't happen again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

They're definitely beep error codes

Have you tried it with a different graphics card?

8. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know they're error beep codes but what I can't work out is what the code identifies as the issue. So far I've had people say its the mobo, the RAM, the GPU or and the PSU so that doesn't really narrow it down and I don't have enough cash or parts to pick at random and hope for the best.

Tried the ASUS site but couldn't seem to find the right area to tell me what the code means for this board.

9. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I tried finding them in the downloadable manual and found this in section 3.1 "Starting up for the first time", bullet point 6.:

However there's no table that I can see in the PDF, maybe check your manual & see if there's a table in there? It might just be an issue with the downloadable PDF

EDIT: Also just found this (according to the Asus website it uses an AMI BIOS): http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I tried the same thing and hit the same problem, but I would suspect the graphics card from experience...

11. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Cheers Zero

Nice to know it's not just me being dim (for a change).

I've had a GPU squeel at me before when it's power cable hadn't seated and its not the same noise as that (not nearly as piercing) but i'll certainly give it a go as it may indicate another GPU problem.

The braiding continues (I did say I had a bit of a thing for it didn't I)

Taking apart and cleaning up the RAM fan and HDD fan ready for re braiding in Black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Cracking job on the braiding :thumb:

13. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and for the help with the beep codes. if the AMI is to be belived then one long beep means all ok, which it aint.

As soon as get a chance i'll swap out the GPU and see how it goes.

I've been away at my sisters for the weekend, but did manage to get a bit of work done before I went and left it to dry in the garage (the colder it gets the longer it takes).

Originally bought chrome allen head bolts, but decided they'd look better colour coded to the rest of the job so decided to spray them matt black.

I could have bought some more, as they're not too expensive, but thought i'd see how this went. If the paint comes away when I tighten them I can always pop an order in.

Place sanded and prepped items to be painted on a strip of tape

[​IMG]

Add another layer of tape and sandwich between two blocks of wood.

[​IMG]

Undercoat and then top coat, then remove from the tape and wood. It's quite important the paint doesn't go down the threads as it will make a mess as the bolts are screwed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That squidgy stuff looks crazy :D, done a good job of cleaning it all though :).
    Nice braiding & painting.
    :D I've painted bolt heads too, used a lump of blue tack so just the heads were sticking out which is an alterative method for what you done but as shown both are perfect for the task :).

15. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Cheers Waynio

What experience of paint loss did you have when tightening, and did you do anything to to prevent it?

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) None, I painted them like the rest of the case, scuffed with a brillo pad, done a light prime, then metalic, then clear & left to cure over a couple of days & it was nice & tough but even so I carefully screwed them in so I guess just be gentle & light handed when screwing them in, try to avoid too much pressure if possible & it should be fine :thumb:.

17. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Something of an hiatus in activity as the next step was to take everything apart which I couldn't do as I needed the pc for work.

So first job, (with a lump in the throat and a sweat on the hands) was to take off the mighty Fenrir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too much dust on the sink. Not bad for a years use when you think we've also had builders knocking the crap out of the place for 3 months.

[​IMG]

Way too much TIM used me thinks. Bit concerned about the patch in the middle. It would appear that the very centre is the only place the sink was really making contact. Figure either a domed CPU or a domed sink. Still seemed to do it's job though. I've used way less TIM on the waterblock so see how it goes.

[​IMG]

All cleaned up and ready for its new friend.
    [​IMG]

Bit more dismantling
    [​IMG]

Mobo out ready to fit the block

[​IMG]

That's all for now but should have some more pictures up later as i'm dedicating today to completing this.

Just have to pop down a certain electronics store for a molex splitter (50 mile round rip but that's dedication for you).

Do please check in later for more activity on the build.

[​IMG]

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow that really was a tiny amount of dust for a years usage :).

19. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Yeah I guess we can finally put to bed the "Antec Skeleton is a dust magnet" argument once and for all. Very few dead spots = very little dust settles

A bit more progress as promised,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So where am at progress wise???

Right about here!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Your as bad as me Dubs lol

I know how it feels now to be waiting on further pics :duh: