1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Living in Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by phinix, 26 Feb 2013.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I went through some jobs in Saskatoon and some IT technicians get around $45-50K, is that correct?

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

To be clear: French (Canadian dialect mind you) is entirely optional outside of a couple areas in the east. Yeah we're technically bilingual, but once you hit the prairies you enter a part of the country that has a very negative view upon those that speak Canadian French. Even most of the call centres out this way request languages other than Canadian French, so if you are looking at a place in the west, don't even bother to try and learn it.

For what you are specifically looking for, that of a small town lifestyle, there are many options. Keep in mind though that you'll probably be commuting into larger cities for employment as a result, which probably isn't quite as pleasant as you might imagine. Provided you can stay away from the coasts and the larger cities, you'll more than likely find that even a place like Calgary or Edmonton - very big cities in their own right - don't feel like really big cities. They're spread out, low density, and generally friendly. Stay near downtown and you'll often find no need for a vehicle.

For snow, Vancouver has next to nothing. Even when it does snow there it never stays past a day or two, so if that is something you're looking for you'll want to shift a little bit inland. Otherwise expect rain to fall 372 days a year - even though that isn't technically possible. But it is a rather lovely city with a massive tourist trade and an eclectic, artsy people. I've known more than a few people that have lived there and it seems like a rather nice place, but strangely enough I've never met anybody that wanted to stick around there long term. Seems like a nice place to visit but that is about it.

If you're wanting snow with some nice weather I would recommend southern Alberta, because we do see the occasional bit of cold weather (generally a solid week of -30), we're typically basking in the glory of a chinook. Dozen or so small towns and cities within two hours driving distance of Calgary, easy access to the mountains, plenty of things to do, lots to see, and Calgary is sort of a oil money magnet in western Canada - high paying jobs in the comfort and support industries abound.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

To be honest, Calgary was my second choice:)
    Quick question - how much do you pay for a litre of fuel?
    Thing is, I love to drive, so traveling to work place isn't a problem.

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Don't drive myself, but for the past few months - if memory serves - petrol has been hovering at about a dollar to a dollar ten per litre.

5. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

been living in canada all my life. :)

In regards to the fuel. It depends as the price can vary wildly depending on the region. Generally the coasts are more expensive than the main lands. except for quebec it's always been expensive. But usually the price is between $1.19-$1.40 CDN per litre.

additionally your going to need to try poutine once you come :)

While somethings are cheaper other things are more expensive / annoying such as public transport in most city's isn't anything compared to europe.

Internet/Cell/Tv is also stupid expensive to get anything decent.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

EVERYTHING is expensive in vancouver, especially housing

The coast of British Columbia (the province in which Vancouver is, in case you didn't know) is very humid. It rains a lot during summer and the winters are cold because of the humidity.I haven't been there during winter though and the guy I know who lives there is from the warmest/driest place in Canada (around Kamloops) so I don't know if he exaggerated when he said it was very cold in vancouver.

From what I have seen, fuel was actually the most expensive in quebec, ontario and BC.

Poutine is only good in quebec

You're right about internet/cell/tv,the services suck and cost a fortune

public transport is pathetic in general. In quebec anyway

Last edited: 27 Feb 2013
  7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The only thing I know about Canada is the news is absolutely awesome

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

This is cooler:
    I need to go camping again some time soon. Being out in a canoe at dawn or dusk is awesome!

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Sweet Jeezous! :jawdrop:OK, I'm there...
    ..just need to buy this...:D
    [​IMG]

"poutine" - noted.... I love try new things:)

What is like special Canadian food? Like really Canadian stuff that Canada is famous from?

How much do you pay for internet/month? What speeds?
    Like 20Mb speed - I'm guessing you would need to use cable than DSL?

Poutine only in Quebec - noted.. will definitely try!:)

Scratch that Vancouver - sounds like good for visiting, NOT for living - not for me - I really got enough rain in Glasgow...

Calgary it is!:thumb:

Ha:) Cool:thumb:

That is it, man... Beautiful views, scenery.. love it...

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Feb 2013
  10. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

No love for Toronto or Ontario?

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Don't expect to pay anything under $60 per month for a connection with a laughably low data cap and an upload speed that is a tiny fraction of your download speed.

For $80 a month from Shaw I'm getting 25Mbps down, 250GB cap (both directions), a claimed 2.5Mbps upload (it's really a fraction of this), and a phone line without any features on (no caller ID, voicemail, or any of that stuff). This is about the best compromise I've found from the local ISP's without going over $100 per month.

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

See if TekSavvy is available in your area. Neighbour has it and pays something like $45 a month for 24mb down, not sure on upload and a 300gb cap. Between midnight and 8am (I think) downloads don't count towards the count either. He's had them for just under a year so far and he hasn't had a single issue. Only thing is you have to buy their modem I believe.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I haven't studied those areas yet:)

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Sounds reasonable to me. 25Mbps is fine, I would worry about that 250GB cap though..:)

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

What do you guys need to pay a month there?
    I mean when you rent or own a house.
    Rent, utility bills (electr. and gas), internet, tv license, phone.. what else?
    Do you have something like some tax? Like UK's council tax?
    Do you pay for water per meteres?

16. joe the dishwasher

joe the dishwasher Honk

Ah the peaceful calls of the gavia immer!Aren't they much more suited to the Canadian spirit? :p Is it your video? Fascinating birds, the only ones with swans (as far as I know) where the young are often too lazy to swim and hitch a ride on their parents back!

This is somewhat related:

[​IMG]

PS. Please excuse the obnoxious 9gag watermarks, the only source I could find this specific picture on.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Videotron here. 70$ per month for 30mbps down, about 3mbps up and 130GB/month. Total rip off

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Would work out to be more expensive for roughly the same service because I'd have to go through another company for phone services. So although it'd be $50 for a spot of DSL, a phoneline would cost a minimum of $30 through another company - same as I'm paying now, but much more hassle.

This depends entirely upon where you live, your rental agreement, and all sorts. Rent is massively variable, but for Calgary it seems to be roughly $700-1000 a month for a one bedroom apartment - some places will be cheaper, others more expensive. My little hovel is within a few minutes of downtown, near many services and grocery stores, along several bus routes, and is about 500sqft, water and a single parking stall is included in the $775 I pay per month. This is about average for the area.

Most apartments you will find have baseboard heating, so you typically don't pay for water or gas in these places, just electricity and whatever other services you require. As an example my power bill is roughly $30-40 a month in my single room apartment, and I have many power hungry appliances. Unfortunately it has been a number of years since I last had to pay for water services, so I cannot give you an accurate rate for this, but I do remember it being rather inexpensive even in a household of four adults with plenty of fish tanks.

Tele doesn't have a licensing scheme like the BBC runs over that way and FTA isn't something most anybody takes advantage of, so if you're interested in this sort of thing plan on at least doubling your internet costs (typically a bundled package from one of the incumbents will work out slightly cheaper than individual services from multiple companies - unless you require something specific like unlimited bandwidth).

Tax varies massively province by province, with Alberta being one of the cheapest (5% tax on goods and services). Income tax is painful, but calculated in very much the same way as you're probably used to (percentage varies by amount earned). So don't expect much change there.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So you dont have meters for water?
    So does it mean there isnt any additional costs like waste etc?
    What do you pay when you own a house? No taxes?

What is that baseboard?

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Double post... freakin phone...