1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Living room PC - some pointers please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [PUNK] crompers, 30 Oct 2012.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Im looking to save money so any suggestions are welcome, this is my current proposed build:

[​IMG]

I basically want an HTPC that I can play a few games on the TV with a pad (why buy a PS3 when I have my entire steam library). Would like to keep the build M-ITX and TBH I dont particularly mind having to knock the settings or the res down a little bit.

I'm not overly familiar with SFF stuff so if anyone thinks there is a better/cheaper road to take please let me know.

Also, what is the best way to control this thing?! I dont want a wirless mouse and keyboard particularly but will be needing keyboard input and media controls for XBMC, hopefully with some sort of integrated mouse.

I may add an SSD at some point in the future but storage is important for this build so starting with a 2TB drive.

The case needs to be something my GF wont mind looking at in the living room, and there is no room for a proper HTPC chassis so a stand up arrangement seems best.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Mini-ITX cases that fit full size graphics cards are all cubes. Depending on whether that fits your needs or not, you could also take a look at Micro-ATX. The motherboards are a tad cheaper and the cases are mostly more traditional, but the size is a bit larger.

An SSD is always worth it for the operating system and programs. A 64GB disk won't break the bank either. You can get an OCZ Agility 3 for £43: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/60gb...orce-2281-read-525mb-s-write-475mb-s-80k-iops

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I'm aware of the guide mate I was just looking for some general suggestions (mainly to save a few quid), its not really a straight up build advice thread and I think I've made most points fairly clear :D

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The only thing that's a bit unclear is the budget. :)

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

for control try the Unified controller app in the Android market.
    Bitfenx seems to be the case of choice and has loads of drive bays which is what your after.
    AMD F2 APU would be the cheaper option that leave room for light gaming.
    if its just for media then even Intel iGP is fine wont even tax it.
    Make sure to use larger slow spinning fans. Check out QuitePC for sound ratings.