1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Llano + HD7770 Dual Graphics: how to?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debs3759, 23 Aug 2012.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I have just installed an HD 7770 in my Llano (A8-3870K)) with the intention of using it for bitcoin mining. It took me an hour just to get a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 on the IGP, but I can't see the discrete GPU. I want to use both for bitcoin mining (my Intel systems with NVidia GPU are used for folding).

Does anyone know how to make both GPUs (ie IGP and HD7770) visible for gpgpu purposes?

2. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Sounds like your DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI/VGA cable is connected directly to the motherboard. Connect it to the discrete card to get the card working.
    I'm pretty sure you can only get one of the two working. To get two cards working buy two of the same graphics card and go SLI or Crossfire.

3. G12EG

G12EG What's a Dremel?

you wont be using your apu with that gpu
    as above plug in your display connection in to the gpu

4. debs3759

Yes, the VGA cable is plugged in to the MB. When it was plugged in to the 7770, although I could get it working in low resolutions, I couldn't get HD 1080 resolutions for some reason. I should be able to get them both working working the same as if I had two differnt GPUs (separate, not SLI). SLI/Crossfire is no good for gpgpu work.

Thanks for the thoughts :)

5. debs3759

I think I have a solution. I'm gonna nip down Maplin tomorrow and get a few 68 ohm resistors to make a dummy plug - works with two discrete cards, might work with discrete plus igp :)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

I have a few friends that have tried similar things and they could never get the onboard gpu to function as the discrete cards took over all functions. They tried plugging into the IGP but the main problem was the 7770 was not even detected on boot up even with the drivers pre installed.

what your trying to do sounds pretty much impossible enough if you ask in the folding forum they may know better than people in this section as its there sort of area gpgpu encoding stuff.

lucid and virtual gpu is the only 2 things i can think of that will allow you to use both and they are locked to specific motherboards niether of which are supported by llano.