1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Load times

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bonzo45, 28 May 2010.

1. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Hey
    I'm not really sure that this is a tech support topic, but I've got a fairly simple question:

- What factors effect game load times?

I'm puzzled as my laptop consistently loads faster than my Desktop. My laptop is an Acer 6930G, which has an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz, 4GB RAM, standard 250GB Hard disk running 7 Home Premium 32bit. Nothing special. See sig for my desktop, I have always had 2GB of RAM in my desktop and so I thought this was the reason, but I got 4GB the other day and the laptop is still notably quicker.

It's faster to do most things to be fair - going to sleep or shutting down... what's going on?
    Cheers,
    Bonzo

2. Matarsak

Matarsak What's a Dremel?

Any number of things can affect your load times; CPU, hard drive, and even your graphics card, both hardware and drivers--there was an issue with ATI's drivers a revision or two ago that increased load times in BC2 by an order of magnitude.

3. AdamJackman

AdamJackman What's a Dremel?

What other back ground process do you have running on the desktop, in comparison to the laptop.

Phone software, google stuff etc?

As shutdown is also slower, I would look at the running applications and services.

A slow bootup could be the result of a large number of services set to automatic.

4. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

I try to keep it to a bare minimum, however I can appreciate that on my desktop there is more stuff to load. It'd got my work on it so there's some backup software, web server host etc.

With regards to Bad Company, I think it must be a driver issue, I had a look around and found that by disabling DX10 (force DX9) my load times halved... that's poor on ATI's part to be honest. I will continue to update my drivers and see if this one gets fixed, but that's a rather odd problem.