1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Loan AM4 CPU for BIOS update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fantus, 31 Jul 2018.

1. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I'm about to spend the money on a new build but would be looking at a B350 board with a Ryzen 5 2600. The board I'm getting (MSI B350M Gaming Pro) should already be updated but may need an older CPU if it isn't.
    So, is there anyone that would have an AM4 CPU that I could borrow if needed?

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I thought AMD already offer a scheme for this purpose? Other option is to just order the cheapest gen 1 Ryzen chip with the rest of the order, use it to update the mobo, then send it straight back?

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yes, AMD do offer this, but only if the retailer can't/won't do it themselves. For what it's worth, the ASUS TUF B350M Gaming I got back in May was already 2x00 ready.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Would it not be more logical if buying a new board to buy either the B450 or X470? - Saves having to mess around...

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, just buy current boards, saves you the risk of having to contact a company.

6. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

It's looking like some decent boards are finally coming into stock so I think I will hold off for a little while. There's a B450 version of the board that I was already looking at so I'll likely get that.
    Thanks for the input.

7. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I have been waiting for the B450s to drop before I go for an upgrade.

Looking at the Strix B450F for the new audio and 8 phase power but waiting to go through the reviews first.