1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Logic - V 01 - The cook book!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by No X, 30 Apr 2021.

1. No X

No X What's a Dremel?

Hi I'm back :D

Real life intervened, but I am back working on the case. I have just run over the plans and notes I made on this forum and am correcting some, upgrading other parts of the design. I will take a few more iterations to make sure, the plans are as ready as I am able to make them.

I will make the 1st prototype out of glass fiber so I can cut and fit any changes as I see fit before making the final version of carbon fiber. Cost and convenience are the reasons why.

The SAS4CM is still being developed more fun then expected.

The Reservoir: I have decided to make an acrylic likely CNC'ed version, also the pivot function will likely be CNC'ed into the surface then glued into the sides to avoid a shaft all the way through the reservoir (I have had my concerns/nightmares regarding the reservoir leaking at that point). Now the challenge is making that look good!

Since I am also working on a emergency cooling solution I am considering an emergency stop button at an accessible point of the case, no clue of where to put it.

Design I have decided to try and create a curved front below the mesh/fabric that works as a filter. I will elaborate later to why I am choosing this aproach.

The fabric is a challenge 1st because I'm a man, then because it has to function as a filter, but also has to be see through enough for the OLED's to be readable. There is an alternative but I'm not ready to go there.

2. No X

No X What's a Dremel?

1st sketch: Not ready yet
    The case production method.

The case is planned from the inside and out. 1st a form shaped like the inside of the case is made 42 x 42 x 46 (actually 70cm long) including rounded corners, the corners with a radius of 2 cm. It's made longer than needed to get a mold with an extended area to mount the fabric, glass or carbon fiber fabric on.

Next a layer of wax is mounted, 3 mm deep (the thickness of the frame) it's wrapped around the form and is 50 cm long so a surplus of the frame can be cut off later.

A 2 part mold is created around the wax layer, the 2 parts are connected on 2 opposite corners. Thick layers of glass fiber are used to make the mold.

The molds are also worked over before they can be used, flattened sanded etc.

Then a frame is made with the mold. This initial frame is a stand in it has no holes or removed material. It will be flattened and sanded to a top shine to be optimal for the next part of the process.

On the newly produced frame we repeat the process now with 3 levels of wax a total 4 mm wax. The 4 mm layer of wax is divided into a 3 mm and a 1 mm layer. The 1 mm layer is covering the entire form and is a stand in for the space between the shell and the frame. The 3mm wax will become the shell.

For the shell a new 2 part mold is made over the wax, connected on 2 opposite corners on the form of the frame . Again a thick layers of glass fiber is used to make the mold.

Remember not to create a molds with parallel sides. Parallel sides requires a mold with several parts if you want to be able to remove the form from the mold.

This is a very simplified description of the process but it will do for now.

The next part is where the complexity hits, its not just about cut outs, but about creating spaces that are and look organic, spaces for components like panel mounted connectors, the reservoir, radiators and more. I am still updating and revising the design and finding mistakes made by me.

Mistakes:
    Its stupid small stuff like placing the SD card reader slot below USB connection ports and having the wires when inserted being an annoyance while trying to access the SD card slot or worst case damaging a card.

I am also revising the SSD/HD docking bays for better thermals and usage and for a more intelligent wire handling, I might fall short in this area time will show.

Design related

On the left side of the frame the panel connectors USB, card reader etc, I would like to mount on a 45 degree angel or maybe less. Why to avoid the connectors or inserted components being damaged by accident (at least trying to reduce the risk). A pleasant advantage to this is, that they become easier to see and access. This is one of the reasons why I need some organic spaces.

Updating in a short while :D

Last edited: 2 May 2022
  3. No X

No X What's a Dremel?

I have without a doubt and purposely designed the case, the cooling system with specs that are far better then needed. One of my reasons to do this is having a lower noise burden ( I like it quiet) the other part is having alternative options and thus a longer lifespan of the system.
    In the start I looked into what a system needs not just in real estate terms m³ or ft³ for component dimensions but also for the individual components power usage before i got sidetracked by real life.

We all know that the Components Power consumption went up with the latest GPU's, but the next generation of GPU seems to bring it back down, a good example is a Nvidia RTX 3080 with around 320 watt usage that will have a follow up of a RTX 4060 with around the same ability but only 200 watt usage. If any of you have seen a list with Components Power consumption I would appreciate a link.

Component Power required
    The central processing unit (CPU) 55 – 150 Watts
    Graphics card (GPU) 25 – 350 Watts
    Hard disk drive 0.7 – 9 Watts
    Solid-state drive 0.6 – 3 Watts
    RAM 2 – 5.5 Watts
    Case fans 0.6 – 3 Watts
    Source

I am currently putting together the weight of some components and I imagine that the radiators might take the crown (with 2 in the system) if any of you have information of your radiator weight with and without liquid inside I would appreciate it : (On the commercial sites this data is not available)

Radiator name - size - with fittings (wf) or without fittings (wof) - without liquid - with liquid.
    Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper - 360mm - wof - without liquid 1110 g - with liquid xxxx an example.

Still refining the design before putting it all into CAD drawing.