1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Logitech Harmony remotes discontinued

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by play_boy_2000, 2 May 2021.

1. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Was watching a LTT/Short Circuit video yesterday and Linus randomly mentioned that Logitech harmony remotes are being discontinued. WTF? I managed to find an 665 locally as a backup when my existing one wears out, so I should be set for the next 5+ years, assuming they follow through on their promise to update the device database.

Seems kinda bizarre to me; why wouldn't they just sell the brand if they didn't want to make them anymore?

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was looking at a Harmony elite and stumbled across the same news, although not through LTT.

I guess it's a move to long term retirement, given how many things use HDMI CEC to pass through commands these days.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

HDMI CEC is far from reliable though. My soundbar flat out refuses to acknowledge any CEC.

Is this remote only or includes the Harmony hub? The hub is the centre of my TV setup, loosing database updates for new devices will be a big blow.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you believe what they posted on the logitech forum they'll still update the software:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/1500000658341

wyx087 likes this.
  5. liratheal

True enough - Sometimes my receiver doesn't turn on, and if I need to use something further down the chain than the receiver, I have to resort to something else.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The ability to create activities and assign custom buttons isn't really something CEC can replicate. My main TV remote has: Radio (via amp), Bluetooth Audio(via amp), IPTV, BluRay, Android TV Box and OTA TV.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Announced a few weeks ago. Bought the 665, then realised that it's IR only so wouldn't work with our Roku stick, so returned it. Can't really justify the $350 $380 for something that, despite Logitech saying they'll continue to support, seems unlikely (classic price gouging in the US when something is discontinued). And I'd need the actual remote at least to justify getting one.

My Slingbox comes to mind - not the same level of investment but there was the same level of commitment from Sling, only for them to announce that from November next year the servers will shut down and I'll be left with a box of e-waste. I can't answer for Harmony remotes but I'd be worried if any part of the system is server based.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This is disappointing. I hope there are alternatives by the time Logitech pull the plug on support.

CEC is hot garbage and "proper" solutions, Control4, Crestron et al, are stupid expensive and complex if all you want is some light automation for one system - I've found Harmony to be just right in terms of balance.

9. liratheal

No argument there - I wanted something that allowed control of the lounge lights (hue) without a phone because A: Guests, B: I have started leaving my phone in the office, so if I'm there on my todd then I've no means of fiddling with the lights.

I also find that CEC only works 80% of the time on the receiver, and 0% of the time on anything beyond it in the chain, so.. An all in one appeals greatly.

Buuut I also figure that those of us with non-CEC friendly setups are going to be in the minority.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This. What a terrible shame.