1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Logitech MX rev rant (update, more fun!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 28 Jul 2009.

1. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

That line through the battery meter was one of the things mentioned that changed between the rev1 and the rev2, check the serial number but chances are that you have a rev2 there.

I have difficulty getting my revolution to charge too, normally it's because the contacts on either the mouse or the charger are tarnished, I use a piece of very fine sandpaper to remove the tarnish and then it works again for a couple of weeks.

Moriquendi

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

So why did they change it? To me it looks like a battery warning light or something. I'll give it another go at charging soon. Much perfered the rev 1

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have the charging problem with my MX1000 too - just get something abrasive on the contact pad on the mouse (and once in a while the charging station thingies too) and it'll be fine.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have the problem as well... BUT if you keep the contacts clean (wipe it with anything when it gets dirty) and it's fine.

I have the same indicator, this is normal. It will turn red when the battery is weak. You should have 3 green bars above the battery icon.
    It REALLY sucks that you have a refurbished, I guess it's because you have a aesthetic issue and not a hardware level one, or it's like ASUS where everywhere in the world people say it's fantastic, but in Canada ASUS is overpriced junk... I mean it's like if you buy water from the sewer for 250-400$, and get absolutely no service. Took them 1 freaking month to "repair" my motherboard and ended up having one form there test computer full of dust compared on each PCI/RAM/PCI-E slot and several scratch from a screw driver because the previous owner did not know how to use a screw driver and somehow got accepted. I won't be surprised if my refurbished came with dog **** on top. And this happen to several friends even with 1 month motherboards. At least your mouse came nicely.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Right, i called tech support and after 20min wait listening to very dated music i final got a technical support chap, explained that i have recieved a duff mouse, and i believe its a bad refurb. Explained that it refuses to charge on either docking station as well.

Had to snap a load more pic's showing the signs of wear and tear on the feet of the mouse, oddly the contact pins are scratched aswell, so something fishy is going on!

Hopefully they will get back to me soon, he said it should be a brand new one and as far as he knew all replacements are brand spanking new.

Would rather not do that chap, if i wasn't in talks with logitech then i would give it ago. To be honest you dont need anything abrasive to do that, just a Q-tip and a little TIM remover cuts the muck off the contacts easy peasy without scratching the shiney contacts! :thumb:

Turns out once all is sorted all i have to do is send them my USB reciever/s to germany, i think the mouse a reciever are coded to each other as the new mouse refused to be reconised by my old reciever. Anyone know a way around this? replacement reciever?

Thinking about it, i have a rev 1 and rev 2 here, so that maybe the case why there not talking.

My old mouse with its leprosy is dying to be modding and throw into a pouch along with my laptop!

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Good lord dont get me started on ASUS products, bit-tech loves them, but the truth is there crap, customer service is B*******, overclockers.co.uk is better than them!

Thing is the box showed signs of once before being opened, everything inside. And the dam mouse refuses to charge above 1 little green bar, i have had it sat on charge in both charging docks for an hour each, after 30s it just blinks then goes black as if its got bored and switched off. I forced it down onto the contact pins hard in a vain attempt to force it to charge, but still no luck.

7. GoodBytes

AHA! You see. Phone wins over e-mail. Probably you waited 20min because people are in vacation so staff is low, but in any case, you will get a new mouse. So, that makes 3 usable 130$ Canadian mouses. :D Fix yourself the refurb one, once you receive the new one :).
    I don't trust the "We will call you back claim, though". It's more "Please call back few days later"

Ah ok, so you will end up with 1 mouse, but new.

That is correct, it's using a encryption key that is different between mouses. The advantage of this is that signals can't be intercepted, is really really hard to decode (128-bit encryption, I think, and to not have any/reduce conflicts with router, wireless phone, and no conflict between other wireless mouse (imagine 2 or more MX revolution in the same room/office being used).

However, there is this:
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TRV/~3/DqrYQ4nEhm4/p1

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Aug 2009
  8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I shall see how it all goes, might find a way to solve the USB reciever problem as you can buy replacements

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

That Unifying tech is a great idea, but ATM only these products support it, they've just been released.

M705 looks like an evolution of the MX 620 or 1100 TBH.

(BTW, I bought an MX Revolution after GoodBytes and Burnout21's reviews in this thread ;))

10. GoodBytes

:D Awesome, glad I was of help in finding a mouse that fits your need. I hope you will enjoy and love it as I do.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Even tho i am having problems with mine, its still an awesome mouse.

What i did find on logitechs website is that i can purchase a replacement USB reciever for both models of MX revolution, for £8.

What i will do is if they send me yet another mouse or what ever, when its all solved and sorted i shall ask them if i can keep my current USB dongal, if not then i shall buy a new one....

This has been a head ache, but the mouse is so much joy!

12. GoodBytes

Well if you ask if you can keep your dongle, they will think you did just that to get a new mouse and not because the porblem annoyed you.
    What you can do is play with the wording like: "Do I send you just the mouse?" If yes, and it stops there, then you get to keep the receiver as technically you followed instruction to the letter.

Also, I don't want Logitech to remove it's great service, despite not having the best one, because they may think that a lot of people are talking advantage and doing a 2 for one type of thing.

13. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

You must have rough hands man! I've had one for two years, and the first bit of cover has worn off. My hands do get pretty sweaty during COD4 though . . . maybe you should apply a bit of KY at the beginning of each gaming session :thumb:

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I am going to play it cool and too the letter on this.

Na, as i have mentioned before many times, its not related to my skin, my MX518 with identical surface has lasted 5 years or more with no signs of wear. I must have been a bad batch of silicone skin they applied.

Updated news, the replacement mouse finally died the unit refuses to charge no matter what i do. Shame because it felt more responsive compared to my old one.

Got a phone call a minute ago, and logitech are sending me another replacement, which i hope will be perfect in every possible way!

This now means i have two mice that can become one! Ditching all the bad parts as i go.

I cant help but feel like its a scam, but honestly i requested a replacement due to surface finish failing, and i then recieve a defective unit as a replacement which has only caused me problems.

If the third one arrives and there is a problem, i am just going to give up tell them everything is fine and never buy another expensive mouse EVER! well for a few weeks at least...

15. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Glad to hear that you should get it all sorted out.

If you are in the market for a new mouse, you should look at the new Razer Wireless mouse. I'm trying to prevent myself from blowing $130 on it ATM.

16. GoodBytes

Well if your mouse replacement causes problem, buy it from Canada and have it shipped at your placed! :D

Isn't the mouse that just broke the refurbished one, which you were not supposed to have.
    If so, I never saw Logitech send a refurbished one\, it was probably a broken mouse from someone else, that was set for "ship back to sender" but changed to your address. For 100$+ mouse they should work PERFECTLY, and that was always my experience with Logitech. So the one you had with the recharge problem, doens't make any sense.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it might be a nice mouse, well its an awesome mouse in fact but waayyyyyy too expensive!

Plus the MX rev looks professional, i hate things that look as if there gaming related i.e MS sidewinder collection.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I haven't got a clue what happened, they told me the replacement should be brand spanking new, they apollogised that i recieved a broken mouse and that it should have been new. They cant explain it either, the block looked at the images i sent and was mighty puzzled, asked for the P/N number and PID and said a new will be with you in 3-5 working days!

so i shall patch up a mouse, by switching batteries, or bodies as i really like the MK1 version battery logo. The MK2 oddly feels more responsive, well it did until it died!

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The Mamba? Using one right now. A good mouse, on par with the G7 imo (of which I also own one.) Razer missed a trick not having swappable batteries like the G7, but the Mamba is the more fluid of the two mice. Don't really think it's worth the money, wait for the price to fall first.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Good lord, the new replacement even smells new! And charges, yet to use it but looks promising!