1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Feb 2007.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Logitech does make some left-hand mice (link) but not any gamer mice for us lefties. Frankly that doesn't matter to me since I haven't liked their drivers since the days of Logimenu - now that was powerful & versatile - the closest I've found is Kensington's mouse & trackball drivers (massive selection of options for every button + chording + program awareness (so they change function depending on the active program.)) Sadly Kensington doesn't make good gaming mice - so I'll keep using my Copperhead.

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

For your sake, I will assume that your spelling of my name is merely a typo, and not an attempted slur.

No, my boss wouldn't buy me the Revolution. I'd never need it at work, as I never scroll more than a page height or so. There's a guy who does work with much larger files and documents, and guess what? The boss did buy him a Revolution.

For the record, the "project" I mentioned earlier isn't work related. I write for fun, not for profit.

And no, I'm not going to buy the revolution for home use. As I posted earlier, I intend to buy the Logitech left-handed MX-610 when my trusty old MX-518 dies.

You, sir, contradict yourself. You essentially say that "nobody looks at anything long at home", and then go on to say "I don't know how you guys use your home PC..."

And, by the way, I like reading e-books and other forms of internet-distributed novels, so your point is invalid. Also, the revolution has been bought and used in my office, so that point is invalid too. For that matter, we might as well throw out all the contents of that quote.

(And, Tyinsar, having tried Razer mice, I can say that they really don't work for me. I like the curved Logitechs over the flat Razers.)

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

The quick scrolling is only part of why the Revolution is nice. Just plain having smooth scrolling for regular documents and click scrolling is nice. The shape is also quite comfortable.

I don't have one, but I've thought about it. I still have an old MX700. I don't get the big deal about gaming mice either. I've used one of the MXes with sensitivity adjustment, and it is pretty nice, but nothing to go crazy about. I also don't see the point in insanely high resolutions. I mean really, really high ones. There's go to be a point of diminishing returns.

4. tenpounds

tenpounds Banned

For my sake? Who do you think you are? Slur? Get over yourself...

contradict myself? more like you contradicting yourself. I never read anything even NEAR 200+ pages long at home (mind your tiny brain that this has to be a continuous document as that's what the wheel is for)... so how would I be contradicting myself? and you were the one who said you needed revolution cause you regularly read biochem manuals over 200+ pages... hmm who's contradicting what now?

really? you like reading e-books? maybe that's why you should get your eyes checked out. Or is that why you only write "for fun"? I said the revolution would be good for work use, NOT AT HOME. Which is what everyone is getting them for (home). Boss getting a revolution for an employee? maybe true and very unlikely but given your contradictions and your obvious inability to read, you have discredited yourself.

Please, stop now, you're embarrassing yourself, and clearly just being argumentative. You were the one who stated you needed the revolution for your biochem work. Further, liking e-books over normal books? yea... nice try. :hehe:

Edit: where ever you work, I envy you. With such an idiotic boss, with no sense of financial spending at all... must get a lot of washroom breaks eh?

But hey now, let's not bicker, I've thought of something... How WOULD this be beneficial to people working with 200+ pages? Unless you're working with a lot of pictures (to use as mental landmarks, and even so with a lot of text, the landmarks are too sparse) I don't really understand how fast scrolling would be faster? I mean if you know what you're looking for, use the SEARCH button, faster then scrolling, and ALWAYS exact (pending you remembered the three words adjacent to each other). If you DON'T know what you're looking for, however fast you scroll won't really help now would it?

Which really begs to question.. why would you really need to scroll hyperfast?

Edit(again): and if you're reading an e-book (pdf) wouldn't you be reading in order? which begs the question... why not use a bookmark?

Reading data sheets? They're clearly organized according to topic... really no need to scroll through all 200 pages...

I can only think if it being useful only if you're editing some MAJOR chunks of text in a book/code and have to scroll to that particular section. But then again, if you know a particular section needs editing.. you already remember bits and pieces of what you wrote... which the search function would be faster again then skimming over the 200 words/sec scrolling the Revolution can do...

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

*repeats to self* I will not start a flame war on Nexxo's turf. I will not start a flame war on Nexxo's turf. I will not start a flame war on Nexxo's turf...

All you have managed to communicate to me are these two things:

1) You don't like the MX Revolution.
    2) You are either stupid, or like starting flame wars. For that matter, it's probably both.

Take your own advice. That might be the smartest thing you've said in this whole thread.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:duh: Sorry, missed your post when I was skimming the posts. Didn't realize the lefty MX-610 had already been mentioned.

I like the idea of specifically going out & buying a lefty mouse but as stated, I like my Copperhead (we enthusiasts get picky about our mice don't we). I wouldn't mind checking out the MX-610 but the issues I mention earlier keep me from it - ah, guess I'll go look up some reviews anyway.

:hehe: :thumb: But, but, but, ah nevermind, you're right.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I regularly scroll through a few hundred pages of coding. It's the easiest way to bug skim.

Especially when Dreamweaver doesn't have brace grouping.

Also free wheeling down a load of pages is a lot easier then pressing Ctrl+F <search amount could be anything upto 100 characters>

8. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I'm sorry, I find your comment ridiculous. The document doesn't need to be 200+ pages for the Free Spin technology to take affect, or noticeably make a difference. Since I've been using it, it's made my life a whole lot easier, as I used to find myself taking a LONG time just to scroll through a work log on these forums, but with this mouse it takes a second or so.

Not only that, but I also have various very large eBook PDFs here, and it makes it a breeze to scroll through them.

As for your comment about document flip vs. window flip... Well, document flip is a lot easier to access, especially with it being right on your mouse, whereas you have to press multiple buttons on your keyboard to bring up window flip in Vista. So yes, I feel it is better than window flip, however not as flashy.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you don't go to uni, do you ;)

5 day battery life, eh. hmm. my mx1000 lasts a fair bit longer than that - 2-3 weeks when it was new, now just over one. think i'll probably get another 1000 when this one gets knackered

10. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Hmm the revolution looks damn nice, might get one after my MX1000 dies.

Dunno about all the features everyone seems to be arguing about, but for me the most important feature of any mice is comfort. 5 Day battery life isn't so bad, although I agree with Fod the MX1000 battery is just damn awesome. (Mine is still lasting up to 10-12days after a year of heavy use).

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Same on the MX1000 battery here, I've had mine for years and it hasn't slowed down yet.

If only all batteries were this reliable!

12. Adam-Mck

Adam-Mck What's a Dremel?

I also have the mx1000. but sadly i do think its going to go to the graveyard or maybe my mouse for when i start my HTPC project. I like the revolutions functionality but i prefer the functionality of the G7 more likeHotswap batteriesand in battle DPI changing Hi, medium or low.

13. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Are you sure it comes with a bluetooth receiver? logitech's website never mentioned bluetooth last time i checked

14. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I don't think it's Bluetooth, just normal wireless.

15. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

As far as I know Logitech dumped BT for all except its office packages because of the extra response time. As far as I am aware they use their proprietary RF signal.

16. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Thats what i thought but the review said it was bluetooth and i wanted conformation by someone who has one in their hands, can anyone do that??

Moriquendi

17. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

i use a mx1000 for gaming and since its pretty much a upgraded clone i cant see how it would be bad for gaming if its based off the mx1000. Which i have found to be much better than something like a mx518 for example. I always find that the "gaming" mice are way too light and don't feel accurate at all.

18. tenpounds

tenpounds Banned

Smart choice.

You're taking my advice while looking fashionably honorable while doing so.

Too bad I can't cower behind any regulars here eh?

19. tenpounds

tenpounds Banned

Free-spin mode for hyper-fast, nearly frictionless scrolling. With a single flick, the machined alloy wheel spins for up to seven seconds, scrolling hundreds of pages or thousands of rows. Fly through long documents, and instantly stop wherever you want. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134&ad=lgp_MXRev

Work logs... must be at least 10 whole pages... mighty good use for the freespin. :hehe:

As for document flip. I have it on my MX1000 too.. do I use it? USELESS

20. tenpounds

tenpounds Banned

I'm thinking you don't go to uni...

which uni's make you read something 200 pages long? power point slide?

Tags: Add Tags