1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Logitech Speaker System Z623 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat New Member

2. Eggy

Eggy New Member

Z2300 still 2.1 king it seems.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

proper systems from 2nd hand land still king

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Well-Known Member

Think I'll be sticking with the X-230s I got for a tenner two years ago then...

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

for this money you can pick up the AE Aego M's, which would probably the better purchase. Although i havent heard these in person they seem to adhere to the logitech philosophy of louder is better which suits some but not all

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Member

even for £140, you can just manage to buy some speakers, a sub and an amp and it'll be way better

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I paid less then that for my Z5500's :/

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Get the Omega Super 5 XRS if you need a good one.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm currently running a set of Z4's from Logitech. Even with an old set like that, it sounds brilliant. I'm wondering if there's actually any major changes since then and the new series of speakers that seem to come out every month. Does design in a speaker (ie. Shape, etc) really make that much of a difference?

If someone is enough of an audiophile, wouldn't they be looking at higher spec equipment anyway?

Last edited: 16 Jan 2011
  10. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

11. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Call me ignorant, but I still prefer good old stereo.

Surround-sound just doesn't fit together that well with a 2d-image (e.g. watching a movie, playing games etc.) and listening to music is still best in stereo.

With that said, I wouldn't even get a single one of my stereo-speakers for the 150 bucks this kit is selling for...

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed, I've got the Z4 on the PC, but I've got a separate amp and speaker system set on the media rig.

13. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Good point and good shop.

£141.75 is far too much for crappy PC speakers.

Like everyone is saying, go for decent hifi quality gear instead, even if it means paying around £200 for decent kit, it's well worth it. :)

Not sure how much difference a sound card makes when linked to an amp tho as the amp's DAC will probably be better than the sound card anyway and negate the need for the card. But that's just speculation.

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

A sound card will clean up the signal between the PC and the amp for a better sound, but it still depends how good the amp is for how good the sound is that actually hits your ears. In an ideal world you'd have a dedicated amp amp separate graphic equalizer.

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have the Z-4 and I am not convinced with the speakers in the review in term of value.

The Z-4 look nicer, and comes with a wired remote, which I like a lot.
    The ones in the reviews, for a higher price, doesn't have one, and they put the power with right speaker channel... They did that with the Z3, and it did not end well. All y Z-3 I know all have the same problem that occurs after a few years:
    - If the cables moves power goes to the speakers, and you hear a loud "ZZZZ" from them, even if they are powered off.
    - Static in the speakers
    - Even wires getting worm

Clearly what happens is that over time, with moving the sub with my foot under my desk (same for my brothers, which had the same speakers), the power wires touches the speaker wires. I guess they used cheap quality wires.
    The Z-4 solved the problem by doing like the Z-2300, where each wire is completely separated.

What I found strange, is I feel Logitech is dropping in quality lately. Even their new earphones have abysmal wire quality used, based on reviews. And that the Z-2300 was never updated since 2004.

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Would you say these are better or worse than the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s?

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Closet-sized Eltax speakers for £80? Yeah... NOT. Those sound like absolute crap and quite frankly it shouldn't come as a surprise that for the money you just aren't going to get decent floor standing speakers. Materials for the damn huge housing is going to cost half that, and you must divide the rest for three speaker cones and a 3-way x-over. Get the amp from the kit and something like the Tannoy F1 Customs from the same shop and you're already getting better quality for your money. (or look for second hand deals)

Yes, I might be a bit harsh here, but seriously I'm just trying to help people not waste their money by buying rubbish for which is likely going to be their first stereo set.

Oh and about the review.. For this cost I'd expect the set to come with a digital input. That would help people with truly hopeless analog outputs..

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

my mate picked up some kef iq3 floorstanders for 50 quid....

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Can't find floor standing iq3's anywhere. Also did he buy them new?

EDIT: with luck and second hand you can of course get all sorts of deals, but the Eltax speakers just aren't worth it.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2011
Tags: Add Tags