1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Logtiech G19 keyboard !!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neoki, 16 Jan 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

those look nice, but i really not going spend $200 => £200 on a keyboard. even £50 for a G15 seems a bit expensive to me.

but then, £20 for a Logitech G5 also seems on the expensive side. £8 for my Logitech Media Keyboard, now that's more like it, i mean are you REALLY going to notice the difference??

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I got my G15 for the good backlighting, and the myriad of macro keys... The LCD was a bonus, and the ridiculous sale that CompUSA was having on it at the time was too good to miss.

$100 marked down to $60, and it was in the half price bin, and there was a $30 rebate on it. :thumb:

It's a shame I didn't buy the rest of them...

3. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Sorry to spoil the party, but that looks pretty ugly.

Looks like you can change the lights colour though? I suppose that's a nice feature.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's a lot smaller than the G15, that's an improvement. Keyboards were tending more and more towards "economy size", the kinda thing that covered your entire desk.

I still don't know how worthwhile it is with keyboards...mice you definitely get what you pay for, but I just went from a Saitek Eclipse II to some budget £5 HP thing and I can't even tell the difference.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In reality pretty much all keyboard are made the same, in reality.
    All using no circuit board, all having the same issue (i.e: Pressing some key's block others from working, because again they don't a complete circuit but rather plastic with wires.)
    You get a keyboard for its features and comfort.

6. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

I wouldn't mind the full set besides maybe the mouse (as I have my razer mouse <3), I'm wondering if what I heard was true about the keyboard though, would I have to plug it into my power bar / wall outlet?

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

At least the G15 takes all power it needs from one USB port. My mate's Razer Lycosa takes two USB ports!

+1, but I just map some of them to ctrl (G6), shift (G5) and esc (G1) to reduce mistakes.

8. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Only one is for power, the other is for the USB ports on the top of the keyboard.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That's what I was talking about though, see - the comfort factor on both my £55 and my £5 keyboard was exactly the same. They feel just the same and are just as responsive/easy to use.

I can see what you mean about features, though, looking at this thing's sexy little colour screen. But then an angry voice in the back of my head shouts "who needs a flatscreen on a keyboard, for Darwin's sake?!", and another little voice with a regal accent retorts "it's pretty! look at it, you heathen!" and it all goes downhill from there...

10. GoodBytes

The ONLY possible use of the screen on a keyboard.. is that you get to see what time is it while playing your game. And that is if you don't have any clocks around you. But then get a 1$ watch and you are set.

Maybe you got rip-off with your 55 pounds keyboard, but a more expensive keyboard is usually better than a 5-8$ one. I had my share of experience with low end keyboards... they don't last long and feels and sound like typewriter. The day I cashed out for a Logitech keyboard, was.. well me never touching a low end keyboard again. I mean it's been 6 years I have my Logitech keyboard and it still feels new!

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Meh it's true that while cheap keyboards may feel nice at first, the nice touch wears off in a couple of months - year max.

12. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

eh i like my dell keyboard (old school one that uses ps2). its responsive good looking ad hasn't failed me yet.

13. wyx087

PS2 should be kept. it allows better compatibility and best of all, it allows key combo to turn on PC.

Logitech certainly know how to make keyboards :) my £8 Media keyboard types fantastic and apart from the green LEDs (prefer blue or orange to match G5) it also looks the part.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Better get looking for a new one soon :)

15. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I have all my temperatures running on the screen so I can watch them. :D

16. GoodBytes

What are you running? A nuclear power plant, and it's critical to watch temperature.... no, it is just a freaking computer :p. It runs fine the first time after your tests, and you are set. Beside all important heating processors (Motherboard chipset, CPU, GPU...) have a auto-shutdown if overheat. And that over-heat level is not like if it actually damage the processor, you just reduce it life span. And a person like you probably switch computers every year or so, or even every 3 years, it won't give you anything.

So.. yes it's cool, I admit, but in reality useless. :)

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well, in all fairness this new one is somewhat different from the G15. With the SDK package (if it is released as promised) I'm sure the availability of applications for the LCD screen on the G19 will rise rapidly. And these also promise to increase its' use somewhat; like using the LCD to display your in-game inventory for instance. Useful in an RPG or an adventure. And that's just one example.

Furthermore, there are definite benefits to having it display the temperatures - particularly when overclocking. I for one do not ascribe to the "set it and forget it" method of doing things.

Anyhow, I see your points, I just wish to point out that whether it is of use or not is highly individual, and to some this may be the best thing to come around since pineapple cheesecake. Also, let's not forget about the e-peen factor... :D

I'm quite sold on it (and I must admit it was the looks of the thing that first hooked me) and I will definitely pick one up as soon as they're available. Sure, it's on the expensive side of keyboards, but hell - so what? Most of us are running computers whose total value would probably shock and amaze the common computer buyer, so why not shell out on a slightly flamboyant keyboard as well? We have an expression here in Norway, which translated would go something like: "Being a man is expensive"

18. wyx087

i must admit i was looking at my computer like a nuclear reactor :D

and because of that, i log ALL temperatures and voltages whenever it's on, also have it displayed on sidebar using Everest.

regarding the screen on the keyboard, i heard there's an MSN plugin that allows you to chat to people through it without switching window. that's the reason i was looking to get a G15.

19. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

make this wireless and rechargable and slim like and i would be maybe thinking about it :p

Still loving Optimus KEyboard hahahhahaa

20. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

Yalrite guys, my first post on Bit!

Anyway, i was well after the G19 until i found out that its my G15s drivers that have been causing me dreaded IRQL BSODs for the last year. the gamepanel drivers throw a hissy fit when booting or shutting down in Vista SP1, pre SP1 seems fine tho...
    but thats put me off a fair bit as the gamepanel drivers are the same for the G15 and the G19 :/
    think i might head towards a Razer Tarantula unless anyone else has some horror stories :p

Tags: