1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Lol at my first PC specs - found invoice today!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 8 Apr 2012.

1. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 which I had hooked up to my Zenith 19in TV and which had a 5.25in Floppy. Strangely enough, my great uncle (who I have never met) designed the PET and C64, Chuck Peddle.

My first PC was a Packard Bell with 8MB of RAM, a 400MB Hard Drive, and 8MB Graphics and a CD-ROM. We upgraded it from DOS to Windows 3.11, I remember that was an exciting time.
    Edit: That memory or graphics memory can't be right... *shrugs*.

I also had one of these beasties:
    [​IMG]
    Could save one BASIC program at a time, I made a pretty decent Black Jack program too.

And one of these:
    [​IMG]

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

My first one was a Sharp PC-1245 from 1983 with the optional cassette storage unit and integral printer

[​IMG]

I've still got it somewhere safe i.e. no idea where it is other than it's in the house.

Closely followed by a ZX Spectrum in '83 with thermal printer and a couple of Microdrives, then the 'Joyce', Amstrad PC8512 in 1987, then a 486DX Laptop in 1993, then a few PCs after that.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I don't know if this has been posted already but the Old Computers Museum is pretty good for old stuff

Tribble likes this.
  4. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

oh the shame the first of my computers builds cost
    £2,500
    back (does include monitor though) in 98, actually prices haven't changed of course parts have, i've never gotten rid of any parts either, cases and monitors go, but old internal parts get boxed up and stored.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Picard bell

333mhz proc
    512mb ram
    40gb hard disk
    God knows what psu lol

Was first pc we owned think I was 12-13 at the time cost the world command and conquer Cheesecake lol that was about all that played

Still got it someplace

That was about 14 years ago if memory serve me

6. TMComp

TMComp What's a Dremel?

my first pc was an amstrad cpc 464, basic os and had the tape casette drive, the monitor was bigger than my fridge and had a round din cable connector funnily enough i still own it but dont dare switch it on hasnt been used since i was 7

7. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

[​IMG]

Lol... It's ok, I had one too.

8. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I started with the old ZX80 followed up by ZX81 which was upgraded with a 16k ram pack. You had to gaffer tape the ram pack to the computer, because if you shook the ram pack at all when in situ (ie sneezing whilst typing), it would re-start the whole machine, meaning that the program you were working on would be lost forever.

This was followed up by a 16k Spectrum; many's the hour I lost playing Jetpac. It was also the first machine I hardware upgraded. I remember buying an upgrade kit that turned it into a 48k version (basically it just meant flipping out some 16 pin chips and replacing them).

Next was a BBC B micro and I was lucky enough to get a 5 1/4" floppy drive for it! I was the envy of all my friends when I got this. I could load up Elite in what seemed like no time at all (the disc version of Elite did have the mining lasers but sadly no asteroids).

After that was Uni, which meant beer and girls; PC building / gaming went out the window. I had some sort of Amstrad 386 PC that you could get an ofer on at the time if you were a student. I do remember that it cost a fortune and was paid for over the 3 years).

Since working I have lost track of the PC's I have built / upgraded and even though I have a PC that doesn't need upgrading, I am sure I will do later this year.

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

My first computer was an Amiga 2000 (Motorola 68000 @ 7MHz + 1MB RAM and NO Hdd) ... in 1989

[​IMG]

My first PC was an IBM 486 SX25 (25MHz + 4MB RAM + 80MB HDD) ... in 1995

[​IMG]

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I too had an 486 SX 25 built by Olivetti, mum got it for me for college, I tricked it out with the DX overdrive coprocessor and overclocked the FSB so I had 99Mhz, ooh the power, that was my first IBM PC Compatible but my first PC as with many was a Speccy 48k.

The first PC I built for gaming was an Cyrix PR200 (150MHz?), with a 4Mb Riva 128 and Canopus Voodoo Fx 6Mb card. (twice the texture buffer of a normal Voodo, yeah baby :D ) hardcore, would spend my days flicking from Glide to DirectX and OpenGL to see what was better in quake or something from Id.

remember paying ~£200 for 1.6Gb HDD (which wasn't bad the Atari ST I used for DTP cost 200 for 20Mb ) and £500 for a CD Writer. :eek:

amazing when you look back at it, my smartphone has higher resolution, more power memory etc. that's 15-18 years of progress for you, what is the world going to be like in the next 15 years

Last edited: 12 Apr 2012