1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL @ Win32.Nimda.A@mm

Discussion in 'General' started by Kevo, 20 Sep 2001.

1. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

What a load of rubbish, ive just got this email worm (remember kiddies its not a virus ;) ) and all it did was crash outlook when I opened it.

Yawn sloppy ass email worms for sloppy ass operating systems.

BTW if you think you have got this thing on your computer heres a dedicated detection/cleaner from AVX

HERE

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Don't be a tard.

My pc has been fooked over by this virus, damn IIS security. I don't even run my IIS on the web, only for my personal development on LAN :(

It is a worm, true, it also contains a Trojan, and a IIS exploit, and an FTP component. In fact, it is quite a lot of different exploits all bound together. But the worm is targeted at Win2k.

The reason Outlook crashed is cos the virus ran, and infected the Outlook.exe file ... on my pc, if you run an infected file inadvertently, Explorer.exe would crash.

3. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

[RANT MODE: ON]

Hay if it fooked your computer is your own dumb ass fault for not updating your IIS server or your outlook, ffs the new outlook dosnt even download any email with a exe attachment by default.

Oh and btw this is what it does: it copys itself into your system folder under the name of load.exe then replaces your riched20.dll. It cant even load on windows start up it has to edit your system.ini and put this crap in it...shell=explorer.exe load.exe -dontrunold and if your in win2k it adds its self as a service.

[RANT MODE: OFF]

Like I said before a shoddy worm for a shoddy operating system.

EDIT: Ohhh yer before I forget some virus checkers are crashing comuters when they try to block it especially on Win2k.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2001
  4. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

The insults stop now.

5. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

6. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

Seemed to do a fair bit of damage - Not bad for a "shoddy worm"

7. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Yer but damage to people who havent botherd using the service pack for Windows 2k, they really should done that after the Code Red Worm Scare ;)

8. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

harmless to win 95/98/me tho...and of course all unixes :)

do I run 2k ? what do you think :D

9. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

ok, I was wrong, it does affect 95/98/Me so be careful....

10. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

It is harmful to Win9x. quite a few boxes at my workplace were infected with it, and slowed down quite a bit. A lot of files on them were damaged as well.

Fortunatly my NT box at work was unaffected :)

11. :: kna ::

Yeah, my Firewall told em to get lost and InoculateIT dealt with the Emails.

Life is gooooood. :D

12. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

Some people dont have the option to do that, like us at work, Just installed RMconnect and you aint ment to apply any updates or fook with the std config of it otherwise they can revoke your tech support.

We got hit by it today, but only a few workstations was infected, and no damage seems to have been done.

I'd hazzard a guess whoever said it was harmless aint got much to do with keeping a network running.

13. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

evidently stupid

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I am and always have been running Service Pack 2, since it came out. And the virus STILL got in thru my IIS server.

Apologies if my initial reply was a bit harsh, I shud've put in a " :D " ... I only meant it light hearted.

Seriously tho, don't underrate this virus.

That isn't all it does. I have watched it and it is really clever.

That riched20.dll is only one thing, it also infects almost all .exe programs on your computer, as listed in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\AppPaths and there is a massive list of what it does.

As far as what the virus is, I have a lot of respect for it, tis a clever little bugger :D

Damn annoying tho, my IIS service won't start. And I have had to run SFC twice now to make sure it restored all the files.

And I am re-installing SP2 right now to make sure it is on right.

One serious pain in the ass this is let me tell ya :S

15. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Heh I dunno...

Must be somthing I have setup :D (havent got a clue what tho)

16. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

According to MS SP2 is supposed to have a fix for it. Our ISP had SP2 running and they got hit. Strangely enough the fix for IIS for this virus is dated August 10, this I belive is after SP2...

None of our computer got infected at the Office because we are smarter then that, but it's still a pain.

17. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

Done my dads computer over nicely :( (win me) Im sorting it out now. Unfortunatly not everyone is super computer literate and dont update there software/virus scanners the instant some freak invents another "program" designed to f*** people over.

18. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I do regret saying is a "shoddy worm" but still you have got to agree with me on the "shoddy operating system" part.

Mac OS9.1 0wnz you :D (Mac OSX however sux)

P.S. W00T 50th post :)

19. :: kna ::

Any credibility you had has now gone out of the window :)

20. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Hay I dont have a mac or anything... I just had to use one at work and in my opinion OS9 is much better than Windows :D the only real strange thing was Quake 3 which was frame capped to 60 :(

And you have got to love Mac when they have a fatal bootup error and you get a car crash sound and a unhappy mac face :cool: