1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Longest lighting tube available?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fenriswulf, 22 Jun 2004.

1. Fenriswulf

Fenriswulf What's a Dremel?

Greetings!

I have the need for some very long lit tubes, with a necessity for them to be flexible, but hold the light they emit all along the length of the tube itself. Sorry if thats not very clear...

How about this; I'll be needing to put some various computer wires down through a clear plastic tube, or something similar. I had the thought of putting either another tube around it, with some bright colors running down the length, kind of both to mask the wires (I'll probably use 3 tubes to run the colours so no shadow of the inner wire tube is seen), and to give off light for this project.

Is this possible? How expensive is such a thing to do? Is there an easier way to achieve this?

Questions, questions... Would love some answers!

Fenriswulf

2. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

For flexable lighting nothing beats EL wire.
    you could simply wrap a loose spiral of EL wire around your bundled wires and then run it all through some vinyl tubing.
    I'm not sure of the maximum length of EL wire but I know Zapwizard used it to make his lightsabre mod.

Else you could create or find some acrylic tube, frost it, and embed a few LEDs to light up the length.

Not sure if either of these ideas are what you were looking for but it was the first things to come to mind.

3. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

yea the only thing I can think of for truely felxible lighting is el light or "light rope" which is just elrope anyway, it think.