1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Longhorn Tastes the Apple

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 6 May 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Although by the time it finally sees daylight, it'll be a very rotten apple... ;)

This from PCMag:

The first day of WinHEC 2004 (the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference) in Seattle had, as expected, a major track on Longhorn. It focused on the new user interface and what Microsoft is planning for its next-generation operating system. A big part of it could be summed up in a word: 3D.

3D graphics on a PC have long been stuck with a "for games only" reputation. Of course, you could rightfully argue that 3D performance has been the driving force behind most recent PC performance increases; usually, the "application" that needed all the horsepower your PC could muster wasn't an application at all, but a high-powered 3D game. But now the shroud of illegitimacy is about to be lifted, as Microsoft prepares to rely on 3D performance to power its Longhorn operating system.

Avalon is the code name for the Longhorn graphics and media interface (GUI) that software developers will use to build applications. It will have two "tiers," called Aero and Aero Glass. Given its 3D nature, running Avalon will require some pretty hefty hardware. Microsoft also surprised some people by requiring DirectX 9 to run Avalon, even though chips supporting this latest version of DirectX are just coming to market. Still, with Longhorn not arriving until 2007 (at the earliest), perhaps the DX9 requirement isn't such a reach.

Full report here

So, by 2007 You can have an OS that looks like OSX, but only if your machine falls into what MS calls the "Average" user spec:

:jawdrop:

Is this the real reason for the Longhorn release date slipping? They're waiting for the hardware to be developed that can run it? ;)

Anyway, if you can't wait, you could sample the delights of something that looks like OSX now - OSX! :D

2. thale02896

thale02896 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like Microsoft is tired of being behind the curve of hardware power and wants to return to the days when it took a top of the line pc to run Windows 3.1

3. technomancer

technomancer What's a Dremel?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that many of the 'new features' of Longhorn in 2007 (or later) are things that have been in OS X for at least a year.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to be in Tiger (OS X 10.4). It should be fun to see if more matching features are added to the list for Longhorn :hehe:

4. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

has anyone ever asked the question whey apple dosnt release a IBM operating system? eh?

why dont they expand and actually TAKE that market for better prices\competition? that would be nice.

stupid microshaft.

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

My guess would be that apple doesn't want to give the user any amount of control over their hardware. By releasing the mac os on an x86 platform, they'd more than likely have to be very flexible with their drivers to allow for the many different hardware configurations possible and actually let someone think they are in control of the computer.

I think that Microsoft either needs to release a placeholder OS to tide us over until longhorn comes out (XP is getting rather long in the tooth as far as an OS goes).

As for the specs, that's ridiculous. I would rather use 2000 than a pretty os that uses all the system resources to be pretty :eyebrow:

Edit: woah, freakey browser error. Fixed now :wallbash:

6. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

poor Longhorn costomer support

i can see it now

costomer:i can't get longhor to work on my machine
    support:whats your specs on your computer
    cs:(its a 486sx 33mhz) its a amd 128 bit prossessor running at 5ghz
    with 7 gb of ram and 3 200gb hardrives
    support: ok i see your problem you only have 600gbs of hardrive you need atleast a terrabite.

i hope people realize they only need 400gb at the max

i have a lot of stuff on my computer and i still can't fill up a 100gb

edit: i wonder how mutch of the hardrive the os is actully going to take up

you know linux is a rel good alternitive its not as bad as it used to be

Last edited: 7 May 2004
  7. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i've only got a forty Gb HD and i can only just fill it up(BTW i have loads and loads of games)

8. GreatOldOne

What's really frightening is what's implied by that spec - 1Tb of HDD space means a multi Gb OS load. *Shudder*

Can you imagine how many files that's likely to mean? Think how many files there currently are in W2K3 or XP - and here we are several SP's down the line and they (the constituant files) still don't talk to each other that well....

9. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

i'm about half way there already...

why can't people learn how to use the comand line..... it's more powerfull and actually works.....

10. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i can't see it happening. hell Doom3 the best (at the moment) looking FPS of 2004 will only need a 2Ghz CPU,a 9800 or 5800 and 512mb of ram. no mere desktop is ever going to out spec a game(unless they're going for some kind of Jonny Neumomic 3D cyberworld thingy)

11. Carbon

Carbon Banned

I've started to look into linux (using it on my laptop at work) and im very impressed, and from the list of specs that will be needed to run longhorn ill be using linux on all my pc's before long :sigh:

12. technomancer

Because Apple is a hardware company. They make killer software, but at the end of the day they make their money on the hardware.

Just trying to support the millions of hardware configurations possible on the pc would be a nightmare. This is the reason any support call to MS usually ends with 'oh, well you'll have to contact your manufacturer'.

13. technomancer

As someone who does software development on a daily basis on a Linux box, I have to say it really is a sweet platform and you can't beat the price :rock:

14. GreatOldOne

There are rumours that there is (in the deepest depths of Apple HQ) an x86 version of OSX - as the start point of the OSX development project was the old NeXT OS that Jobs brought to Apple when the second comming occured. The NeXT OS was processor transparent, apparently....

15. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

that proves it beyond a doubt! ever heard of wintel? exactly. windows is just an OS, now even if you use something like far cry as the shell any standart computer from 1.5 years ago can run it. there is no way in hell a 3D OS takes more resources then a high-end DX9 game. not without purposely making it do that. heard of zoom3? it's a 64Kbit large file that happens to be a demo, not a movie, a real time rendered demo, 7.5 minutes long, with music, 3D graphics, shaders, the works. there's a 96K 3D game on a different size that matches the same description! guess what? both run on a 2.4B with 512 ram and R9600pro.

this is part of the wintel alliance. it's a disgrace.

16. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

Your new OS will only be avaliable on HD. Too big for a pack of 5 DVD Roms. That way they can justify charging $350+ for the OS... It comes with a HD. Only problem is that it takes up the ENTIRE drive!

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm not too interested in the OS looking pretty, just as long as its fast, functional and runs all my apps.

18. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

this may be off topic but go check out the zoom3 thing mentioned above, its awesome. all that in 64k of code? the dude is a god.

19. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

meh it requires dx9 my card supports it but one my games don't and you can't uninstall it so il stick with dx8.1

20. sexykitten

sexykitten We love Jaz

wow, this thread is full of stupid replys.

are you trying to say that MS have 8ghz PC's all with 4gb of ram and terrabyte HD's, remember how big the dev team is, so thered prolly be around 400 pc's of this spec. uh huh. think logically about this.

I know for a fact that theyre running the latest builds on P3 700's. Very few of them have 64bit amd's and itainiums.

i thought you boys were clever, but you just seem to take any bite of a rumor when waved in front of your face.

does anyone want to buy a well used bridge?

Tags: Add Tags