1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Lookin for a powerfull laptop, which one?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sk8phreak88, 6 Feb 2006.

1. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Hey guys hows it goin? Well in about 6 months is that magical day for me of becomming 18 years of age. Now I'm going to get a credit card pretty much the day I turn 18 and my first purchase is going to be a laptop.

I've done quite a bit of research and what not. At first, I was just going to go out and buy a cheap 900 dollar or less lappy that I could just do the usual surfing, aim, word, ect. But after thinking, I figured I would just go all out and get a nice -almost desktop replacement- laptop. Now I've set my budget max at $2500 U.S. Thats about 2,077.30 EUR. (If I did it right lol)

Here's what I would like:
    Cpu--I really only want amd, but as I'm not to expeirnced with laptops, Intel if I must.
    1gb Ram.
    6800gt or higher graphics card
    40gb hdd or bigger.
    cd/dvd burner.
    17inch widescreen-- I'mma man I can cary heavy things :hehe:

So now going off those rough choices I would like I have sofar came up with these posiblities:

Sager NP9750
    Hers a quick roundup for those that don't wanna clicky the linky:
    NP9750-C
    17.0" Wide Viewing Angles WSXGA+ Active Matrix LCD Display with Super Clear Glossy Surface
    AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ Processor
    512MB Dual Channel DDR System Memory
    40.0GB (SATA 5400rpm) SATA 150 Hard Drive
    8X DVD / 24X10X24 CD-RW Combo Drive & Softwares
    10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet
    Internal V.90 Fax/Modem
    Smart Li-ION Battery
    Built-in Video Camera
    802.11g Wireless LAN
    7-in-1 Card Reader
    $2,349.00

Next up:
    Dell xps 170

Now, that one pretty much completely violates the AMD lover that I am :hehe: But I've herd these are some kick arse laptops and it has almost everythign I want from the start.

I'll get some other ones that I found later when I have a bit more time, but I've gotta run currently. Thanks for the help guys!

Oh yeah, I know its kinda early to be looking for this as It's still 7 months till my b-day, but I think I've almost convinced my mom that her cosigning my credit would help her a little as long as I dont screw up and get into debt. So I'm hoping to get this ina few months..

2. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

You're going to get a credit card? How are you going to pay the credit company?

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I have to agree, this sounds like an insane plan. Assuming you even get approved for a debt-card, do you really want to go into 2500 dollars of debt on your 18th birthday?

Anyway, if its 6 months away theres absolutely no point in planning anything, its far too long a period to make any spec plans over. But seriously, if you want a laptop for your birthday, get a job, and ask your parents nicely for lots of money on your 18th. At least that way you get a laptop and nothing more, not a laptop and a pile of debt.

4. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

LOL Guys I've got a job. I'm planning on paying moreso 1500 of it off right away.
    I know all about money management and all that crap (Beleive me or not-But I've had a job and have had to buy all my own stuff since I was 12 years old..I had my own lawn cutting business. I bought my self 3 riding lawnmowers of differnt sizes for differnt jobs. Ever since then, I've had a job and have had to pay for my own stuff from food, clothes to pretty much everything..This pc and internet I'm typing on.. I paid/ am paying for the internet.)
    I can remember when I was younger. My friends would be like "WOW my mom gave me 20 BUCKS!!! And I caried no less then 50 bucks ona daily basis :)

I currently have 2 jobs while both aren't the best paying.. (I dont care if others know my wages so I'll just state them..) but one job I make 7.15 an hour, while not alot at all. I just cant give it up I love the place.. My other job is working at mcdonalds.....Yes, mcdonalds... But I'm a manager and make 11.50 an hour plus benifits. (right now mostly just crappy ones till I turn 18, then I get medical, dental and all those good ones.)

Anyways enough about my life :hehe: so I think I should be good, The 1500 is what I look to be putting into it myself, and i'm sure i'll get almost the other grand from parents/grandparents for my bday. But I figure paying off a 2500 dollar purchase withen the first 2 payment statements I get will be a good notice the the company that I'm goin for good credit.

5. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

My suggestion is to get both, get a reconditined dell for like $600-700 for portable perposes. Then build yourself a kick ass gaming rig for about 1800 still comes within your budget and you get an upgrade path. I have been there and done that with desktop replacements and they are too heavy to carry around all the time, and they go out of date so quickly you would think the depreciation on a rolls royce was reasonable.

6. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

I could see posibly doing that, but I would prefer just 1 that can do it all. And i'm not sure where I could build one thats just as strong for $1800, If you could show me, I would no doubt go with that option as I could almost pay it all of at once.

7. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

build it yourself!