1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looking At Getting My First Mechanical Keyboard- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 29 Apr 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Hi everyone,

Didn't think this needed posting in the M. Keyboards thread, that's just for the L33T key mashers. :D Anyway, as the title says, I'm looking at getting my first mechanical keyboard, with a bit of room for casual gaming. So that means I want proper arrow keys, and the number pas doesn't matter to me. As for switches, Cherry Reds please. :)
    I'd say I can budget up to £65 for one, so that doesn't leave too much room to play with, but my first consideration would be this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/qpad-mk-50-pro-gaming-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-red-mx

Do you have any other suggestions, that are by any chance cheaper? :)

Cheers.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

A little better for the casual gaming I do, and they're quieter.

But while you're asking, could you make another switch suggestion?

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

They won't really be any louder/quieter than blacks or browns. Any better for casual gaming? That sentence is based on what? Different people will prefer different switches, best bet is to try before you buy.

The QPAD boards aren't bad, I personally don't really like the style of them though. That price does seem very good though.

Edit:
    Have you had a read through the Mech thread on here? That probably now has enough info to answer any questions you may have, otherwise, the geekhack wiki will.

5. longweight

I would always recommend browns as a starting point for your first mechanical keyboard as it is the best all round switch. Do you type much? I can imagine that reds are a bit light for lots of typing.

I would recommend a Noppoo mini choc with brown switches from qtan on eBay.

6. GeorgeStorm

With regards to longweights comment on browns being good general switches, I would agree, they have a nice feel, and I don't think I would have any issues switching to them for both typing and gaming (currently on blues)

Reds aren't too bad for typing I've found, after a short breaking in period so to speak, they have a very nice effortless feeling at times, although if you're heavy handed they may not be great.

Glad to hear the Noppoo is still going strong ;)

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

CM Storm? IDK how much it is in the UK but it's pretty cheap here ($75 USD)
    [​IMG]

Plus it's made by Costar, the same company that makes Filco. BTW anyone on geekhack will recommend a Filco over anything else if it's in your budget, and sometimes even if they aren't in you budget :lol:

Edit: I'd go browns for your first board. That's what I got and I can say they are excellent for typing and gaming. However, my next board, I'm strongly considering reds because I'm mainly going to be using it for gaming. Anyways that's my 2 cents

8. longweight

That is because Filco is the best!

9. The_Beast

Must be a ripster fanboi :lol:

My WASD board is also made by Costar, they do make a quality keyboard. I just can see spending more money on a board that is essentially the same thing with a different brand name

10. longweight

The big difference being that the WASD chassis is fugly!

11. GeorgeStorm

There is no doubt a Filco would be a better board than the QPAD, however it's almost double the price, and so probably not really feasible.

The CMSTORM is a nice board, just seen that a version with black switches it seems is available from scan, which is a surprise to me, mechanicals are really starting to become more readily available over here it seems :)

12. The_Beast

The only difference I see between the two is the rounded front edge of the WASD vs the flat front Filco. Plus the Filco logos are ugly, too bold

13. GeorgeStorm

Let's not derail the thread with pointless arguements about something personal like which looks better....

Kidmod, I believe I remember you saying you've been to scan in the past? I would advise trying to go again and see how many keyboards you can have a go on, you should alteast be able to try a corsair board, and most likely a blackwidow, so you can compare blues and reds.

14. The_Beast

I could care less about WASD vs Filco looks, I just don't see how they are ugly when there appearances are so similar. Anyway, moving on

I would stay away from Razer and Corsair. The Razer is cheap and is prone to problems and the Corsair has rubber domed F keys. Seriously, trying to save money on a keyboard that's already too expensive as it is by putting in rubber domed keys.

15. longweight

Can you ask scan to get the boards out of stock if they aren't on display for you to try? I was in love with the K60 until I heard that it uses rubber domes.....

16. GeorgeStorm

I believe you mean you couldn't care less?

And I wasn't suggesting he buys either of those boards, merely that they are the boards most likely to be on display, and therefore ones he can try, and so get to try reds and blues.

17. The_Beast

"could care less" means I have a little bit of care left in me, where as "couldn't care less" denotes no care given what so ever. I could care less about my grammar :)lol: mad?)

Anyways, I would go for the CM since it should fit your budget and is of decent quality

18. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

CMStorm Rapid is best value for money. Avoid anything made by iOne, like qpad, Razer, the full size CM models, Tessoro, Adesso, Max, etc... eh, there is too much rebranding to keep up with really.
    I love reds, if you want something light and smooth go for it. But no switches are better for any particular use. They are all fine for anything, it's just preference in feel.

19. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

If you've got the cash, I'd recommend the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja. No frills, great quality keyboard built like a tank. I have one with brown switches and really like it.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. :)

I have actually tried the Blackwidow at Scan- hated it! The K60 and 90 however, I loved! But as not all the keys are mechanical, it's a bit pointless.

Looks like I'll be getting the Storm Rapid then as I can't be bothered buying from HK. :lol:
    Actually, when I go to Scan again I'll see if I can try it out along with the Qpad, as I want to compare reds to blacks and see how I feel with them both.