1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Looking for 120mm/140mm High Static Pressure case fan Advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 1 Aug 2014.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

It's looking like the case fans that I have attached to the HDD cage in my current case isn't cooling the HDD's as good as they did when they were in my old Antec 300 case...

Looking around on e-tailer sites for high static pressured 120mm / 140mm case fans ( at a reasonable price though ) and found very little that can do around 3mmH2O or more!..

Was hoping for some advice and recommendations on this please?..

Thanks a bunch!.. :thumb:

Last edited: 1 Aug 2014
  2. trueno!

NUMTIDY BUMP!.. :3

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Why would you need high static pressure fans, does your case have a particularly bad airflow problem or are the ambient temps very high? I use a Scythe 500rpm fan for my drive bay which was enough to keep my old Samsung F3s about 8ºC above ambient. Admittedly I only had 2 mechanical drives and 2 SSDs at the time.

I currently have a couple of Seagate Momentus 2.5" drives in the drive bay with the SSDs but they must have dodgy temp sensors as they show the temps to be the same as ambient.

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

The Corsair SP120 High Performance Editions have a SP of 3.1mm H2O

5. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Another vote for the SP120's:

SP120 High Performance Edition
    Size: 120mm x 25mm
    Operating Voltage: 7V - 12V
    Airflow (@ 12V): 62.74 CFM
    Static Pressure (@ 12V): 3.1 mmH20
    Sound Level: 35 dBA
    Speed: 2,350 RPM
    Power Draw: 0.18 A

Just recently got some of them. I think you can get them in twin packs.

They come in 3 interchangable rim colours as well :D

6. trueno!

The current fans I transferred over aren't pushing enough air to the 5 HDDs installed, this is due to the cases' drive cage orientation, thereby restricting air flow over the 5 HDDs... This was different compared to my old Antec 300 drive cage where the air is allowed to flow directly over the HDDs!.. So, was hoping to find reasonable priced high static pressured case fans that will allow more air to flow through the restricted area!..

They're priced a bit too steep for my liking, though I haven't ruled them out if I just can't find myself an alternative!.. I searched around to see if I could find some SP120L HSF/radiator fans, but it looks like pricing for these are also too high!.. Plus, I ain't that fussed about the coloured rings or LED lighting, so plain all black is just fine for me, HIGH STAIC PRESSURE is all I'm interested in!.. I read somewhere that there are others with such high static pressure but for the life of me I just can not remember where I read about them or what they are!.. :p

Last edited: 1 Aug 2014
  7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I have a 140mm Delta that does about 19mmH2O :D

Jokes aside, you'll find that most case fans have pretty poor static pressure because they're not really designed for that kind of application. What sort of budget are you looking at and specifically how many fans do you want to purchase? That'll help us advise you. ;)

8. trueno!

Looking at replacing three 120mm case fans and a 140mm case fan...

One of the 120mm case fans to be replaced is on the Corsair H60 which is paired with the H60 stock PWM fan on my H60 that gives me a push-pull configuration, though that fan isn't that great for this configuration...

The other two 120mm case fans & 140mm case fan which I wanna replace are the front two 120mm case fan and the inside drive cage case fan ( 140mm fitting ) which is technically in a push-pull configuration though I'm feeling they're also not doing their job effeciently/great...

I hope this clarifies what I want to do with the high static pressure case fans!?. :D

9. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Delta, Sanyo, etc make some good high pressure fans. 38mm thick ones are the best. They can be found in the $20.00 range new and cheaper used on auction site.

10. trueno!

Thanks...

I checked my front panel and the spacing will only allow up to 29mm which includes a 120mm fan dust filter fitted onto the case fan!.. Shame really they would have been a huge improvement although sounding like a wind tunnel too!..

Still, they might be great for the H60 AIO cooler ( that I'm using ) if they were 4-pin pwm controlled, however I can't remember if they had any at the sites/eBay store's I looked at...

So, other than these fan recommendation the Corsair SP120L or the high performance SP120 ( with the colour rings ) are my best option?.. That'll probably be the same question for the 140mm fan I liked to replace too?..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk