1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other looking for a heart rate monitor

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 30 Jul 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm looking for a heart rate monitor for use while running, rowing and cycling. It doesn't need to be fancy but I would like it to do this one function well. I don't care that much about other functions. It can be a watch or a band and I would like to avoid paying more than necessary for unnecessary features.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

One of those fitbit type 'smart' bracelets... isn't that what they're for?

There's the chest strap ones that actually go over your heart, but they can be a bit pricey but tend to be more accurate...

Depends on budget really...

3. daveypro

daveypro Member

I can recommend the Coospo approx. £15(fleabay or tax dodgers r us ) use mine with strava on the smart phone for cycling, pretty good job and it wont pair with the phone directly but will pair with the app, (weird)

just remember to wet (Lick) the 'trodes

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

fitbit are £50-180 and monitor a lot of extra things like steps, distance, sleep that is not needed.
    I will look at the Coospo as I would prefer to stay under £30. Honestly, it wouldn't be that bad to spend more if the fitbits were great, but all of the available choices are pretty immature, they do many functions but only do a mediocre job (based on reviews). I've I'm going to pay that much they better do them all well. That and the fact that my phone can do most of them (steps and distance).

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Well-Known Member

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

that is good to hear as they have some reasonable options and it will really help narrow my search to one brand and one function/sensor: ft1, ft2, ft4, ft7 (£29-47.50)

Seems that the ft1 can't change battery, ft2 is similar but can. For a bit more the ft4-7 look the same and have a better sensor strap (H1 vs T31), and of course more features. Alternatively the Polar H7 is a bluetooth strap that can work link with a smart phone.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
  8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Active Member

With regards to the new generation of fitness monitors such as the smart bracelets, I recall Click (BBC Tech program) did a feature on a number of the bracelets and got a wide variety of results. It turns out that most of the manufacturers of the bracelets do their own version of the control software and there is no consistency in how they analyse the data. Basically they were saying they are okay for a general approximation of your activities plus I sometimes get the feeling they are targeted at couch potatoes trying to get active who want some that looks cool and does everything for them via their phones.

I've always used Polar kit, you can get the very basic models that keep things simple or you can get all singing and dancing versions that have lots of features that would only really be useful to professional athletes. I bought my current monitor about 8 years ago and other that changing the battery its been problem free.
    A word of caution though, when you do change the battery, make sure you don't damage the very fine rubber seal on the cover as its quite fragile. Most Polar watches will come with at least one spare seal, I trashed my first Polar watch by taking a shower with it on after a particularly sweaty spin class and didn't know I'd damaged the seal after a battery change.

Oh and be careful of going bargain bin, I tried a second hand heart monitor from Aldi (originally about a tenner I think, I paid £5) it was really awkward and clumsy to use. By comparison you realise the Polar stuff has been designed by people who actually use the stuff and know what it needs to do.

9. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Is this for outdoors or indoors? I do basically what you say, i row, run and cycle, I use a Garmin forerunner XT with a strap heart rate monitor and also have a speed and cadence sensor for cycling. When swimming outdoors you have to remove the strap and put the watch in a swimming cap for accurate gps lock as loses it when submerged. If you use a treadmil then you can get a sensor to go on your shoe to monitor your distance. It syncs all your details to garmin connect and you can share with strava and runkeeper using a site like copymysports.com. Has GPS, can show upto four outputs on the screen at once, when cycling i also have the cadence sensor, so have heart rate, cadence, speed and elevation all on one screen so know I need to keep my heart rate up if my cadence is low. When running I just have heart rate and speed.